aaa realistic scratching without decks? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: realistic scratching without decks?

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             29-Jul-98  @  01:59 PM   -   realistic scratching without decks?

stephenb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been working on a slow dubby lo-fi style track and trying to implement some realistic
scratching using manipulated samples instead
of decks.

I downloaded the scratch samples from dancetech, pitched them down and cut them up to produce some quite cool rythmic style scratching.

What I'd like to do now is use say a vocal sample, cut it up, add it to the track and then manipulate its pitch and volume to try and recreate the push & pull of a record.

I want a technique that I could use to manipulate any sample and then add it to some generic scratch samples to recreate authentic sounding scratching.

Is there a standard way of doing this?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             29-Jul-98  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

/\\/E/\/E

No, don't bother with that push and pull stuff. Scratching has evolved and there's no way any of those old school scratches would fit in these days. Try using gate effects and get them extremely precise, like down to 32nd or 64th notes to emulate the accuracy of current turntablists. I've tried this and it works. You can run anything through it. It's basically a tranforming effect.

Message 3/11             29-Jul-98  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

fingers

i think goldwave has a pitch shift you can draw over the length of a wave. That would maybe give you sharp changes of pace.

Message 4/11             29-Jul-98  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

fingers

or go for Kilos reel to reel tip on 'how did cook do that' thread

Message 5/11             29-Jul-98  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

kilo

yup... it reel-y works... groan !!!

Message 6/11             30-Jul-98  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

stephenb

pissed again kilo?

Message 7/11             05-Aug-98  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

iskross

Well...try sampling a real scratchbreak...then cut it up in recycle. Put it all in a sampler and mess around with it on the keyboard.

Message 8/11             06-Aug-98  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

buggo

why bother?

but if you must (i did this on a few tracks) cut up some shit like drum loops into their individual hits, load 'em in hammerhead (getting the sample to the right timing can be tough) load the same sample into 2 channels (say "user 1" is a snare; load it into tracks 1 and 2) then hit "reverse" on channel 2. Then alternate 16th, 8th, or whatever hits from ch.1 to ch.2, so you have the same sample forward and back, repeatedly...do this rhythmically and make a few loops to superimpose on each other (you can run one at 1/3 tempo for some funky rhythms...) and with a little work you can get not-bad scratching. i think i did this on "aluminum breaks." it's on my site if anyone cares...

Message 9/11             06-Aug-98  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

dani2

BUGGO WHERE IS YOUR SITE?

i see you got your keys fixed.

cya dannyc

Message 10/11             06-Aug-98  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

buggo

www.thegrid.net/jctlo/andrew/music

the new songs aren't working...they stream fine, and the little clock goes at the right speed, but no sound comes out! can anyone help?

Message 11/11             06-Aug-98  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: realistic scratching without decks?

buggo

SORRY, THAT WAS A FUCKUP.

www.thegrid.net/jctlo/andrew/music.html

the new songs aren't working...they stream fine, and the little clock goes at the right speed, but no sound comes out! can anyone help?

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)