aaa about reverb - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: about reverb

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             25-Feb-04  @  04:36 PM   -   about reverb

i hate you but love bums

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Reverb – The frequency robber of the 21st century and beyond

I’d like to qualify here, when it comes to reverbs, there are actually two types of reverbs, good reverb, and BAD reverb. We’re here to talk about the later.

I know how much people love reverb. I know how it can take a good sound and make it sound great. I know how much BETTER your voice sounds with it on. But often, you’re left to drown in frequencies that should be long gone, but they tend to linger, hogging up precious bandwidth in your mix. One of the best alternatives I’ve found to using reverbs is using a tempo delay with a high and low cut filter, and set it to the rhythm of your song. What you get is the chance for your sound to ‘relax’ in between each ‘trigger’ but still gives you the ‘perception’ of depth. Especially with doing the delay to BPM, you can greatly enhance the flow and pace of your song by simply setting it to tempo. By using high and low pass filters on the delay, you can also give the original sound a chance to take up the whole frequency range, and the echoes to take up a smaller space, but not hog the whole spectrum.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             25-Feb-04  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: about reverb

k

ew..... welcome to the site btw 'i hate you but love bums' - good posts

well, you can eq reverb returns or sends tho... what do you feel about that?

interestingly most 'urban' music doesnt use reverb at all, or mebbe a little here and there - I'm thinking garage etc

Message 3/11             25-Feb-04  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: about reverb

i hate you but love bums

Hi K

Great site, can't believe I've only just found it. Yea, Eqing the verb returns is a must. Also, I almost always colour the delay returns with a little verb. Just seems to give it that "something". Verbs are my favourite fx but you're right, urban music seems to use much more ambience rather than rooms or halls. My MPX 500's deliver well on ambiences and halls. Rooms are good but the ambi and halls seem to stand out. What I tend to do is set up my 3 lexicons like this:-

Ambience - 5 meters (This covers all my drums)

Room - 10 meters (This covers the odd percussion and all the bongos, congas, crashes and the main music like keys, gtr's, etc)

Hall - 20 meters (This covers pads, strings, vocals and the odd clap/drum hit that I want to use to add depth to the mix)

But I spent ages putting to much verb on everything. Only getting a grip on mixing in the last year. I've been producing for 6 years in various forms.

Message 4/11             25-Feb-04  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: about reverb

Audio Alchemist

Yes. K is right. I have read recently the trend in urban style producers is to record the voices dry. But the trick is they layer the voices. They will have the artist(such as Janet Jackson..i saw her tit by the way i know noone else has ; ) She would sing up front and center on one track. Then they will have her sing from across the room along with her song on another track, and have her actually whisper along with the song yet again on another track. This adds natural depth to the voice in the track, I thought it was cool anyway. i think im off topic..i'll go now.

Message 5/11             26-Feb-04  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: about reverb

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

The problem with verb is that too many people don't understand how to set one up properly. Not necessarily a good or bad verb itself per-se (although the quality of the verb itself can be a crucial factor), the worst problem is caused by ppl just sticking it on a track and expect it to work.. that's where your bandwidth chewage is going!

Message 6/11             26-Feb-04  @  06:16 PM     Edit: 26-Feb-04  |  06:20 PM   -   RE: about reverb

psylichon

If you want more natural sounding reverb, I recommend you try out SIR. It's a freebie convolution reverb that sounds really amazing with the right impulse samples.

convolution verbs, for those that don't know, can use actual samples of real spaces (though they are not limited to real environments or reverb... you can sample any process that alters sound... a digital reverb, a warm tube, a compressor, etc.) Tons of impulse files are available on the net for free. This site has some nice ones from the mighty Lexicon 960 that sound great. Or you can sample your own impulses. Keep an FX box around just for one or two presets? Sample em, sell it, and move on ;)

SIR has a built-in latency of 8192 samples due to the convolution process itself (it's pretty hefty on the CPU), so using it live is a bit tricky (if you absolutely can't switch to a low-power verb on live input, you can use a short, low-power verb mixed in conjunction with SIR to compensate for the delay), but on playback, plugin delay compensation should take care of it.

Message 7/11             27-Feb-04  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: about reverb

xoxos

you prolly heard, but evidently there's going to be a zero latency v. of sir out sometime..

..don't ask me for an explanation..

Message 8/11             27-Feb-04  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: about reverb

psylichon

Yeah I did see that. Doesn't seem possible, but perhaps with heisenberg compensators...

It will prolly be mono and low-rez, with the option to have delayed, hi-rez processing on mixdown.

Message 9/11             01-Mar-04  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: about reverb

dr_haskell

I wired up a couple of really long leads so i could record my bongos in my bathroom. Sounded pretty cool man, you know

Im thinking of setting up an amp and speaker and a cheap mic in the shitter and passing all my acid lines to that!

i could even deficate whilst checking out the reverb sound.

I'll leave

Message 10/11             02-Mar-04  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: about reverb

BluStudio

what a shit post dr haskell

Message 11/11             02-Mar-04  @  12:52 AM   -   RE: about reverb

beds

Link?:  Link

ehehehe

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)