aaa wharfedales as monitors..advice - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: wharfedales as monitors..advice

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             18-Mar-04  @  10:41 PM   -   wharfedales as monitors..advice

Jock

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been monitoring with a pair of Wharfedale S-500 hi fi speakers for years now. Got a dodgy "back of the shop" deal and grabbed the pair for 30 quid years ago.

However they are now farting like a trooper, so its time to buy some more monitors. I'm quite happy with the sound that these have pumped out, and have got used to mixing using these. Its such a gamble choosing monitors. I've mixed through my hi-fi speakers before (B&W) and its sounded shite even though they were £400 a pair.

So, I've seen online Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Bookshelf Speakers going for around £100. But I'm not sure whether they will do the job even though the spec's look good.

Does anyone know whether these are ok for use for monitoring. The hi fi reviews look promising, but thats just for listening to pre recorded music.

Any opinions, advice or alternatives that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and its a run of the mill samson 100w per channel amp I'm using, desk is a soundtracs topaz 24:8:2. Dunno if that helps.

Cheers guys.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             18-Mar-04  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

milan

Link?: Link

mate of mine mixes on the small b&w's, his mixes turn out pretty ok i think... i guess its what workes for you. why not get some proper monitors maybe?

Message 3/12             18-Mar-04  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

Jock

was looking at some, but not sure which ones to get, as I say, its a gamble. Monitored through some shit in my time with models that are meant to be dedicated studio monitors, and ended up using hi-fi speakers instead. Perhaps my hearing is f*cked !

any suggestions then ?

Message 4/12             19-Mar-04  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

BluStudio

nah, you just prollyb used hi-fi cos they made yer shit sound better compared to flatter dedicated audio monitors.

blu

Message 5/12             19-Mar-04  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

k

eh?... guys seriously... are you really saying a decent hi-fi speakers is less 'flat' than a so-called 'monitor' speaker

show me the charts.

whats the most popular nearfeild in the world?

NS10 - a hi-fi speaker

IF, 'monitor' speakers do not add or take-away from the sound, and are 'flat' - then when you switch between them in a studio shop they will all sound the same or at least close isn't it? - but the truth is, they all sound radicaly different don't they?

how can this be if they are 'flat' and reproduce the freq' spectrum of the same piece of audio without adding peaks or troughs in the output feq' range?

this is something I've never seen answered convincingly.

have a go

Message 6/12             19-Mar-04  @  12:33 PM     Edit: 19-Mar-04  |  12:37 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

BluStudio

FLATTER, not flat

blu

Message 7/12             19-Mar-04  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

k

now, to add - we'll go and pay 400 or 500 for a pair of 'monitor nearfeilds'

but did you ever go and listen to your DAT on 400-500 priced 'flat' hi-fi speakers?

Interestingly also is the type of trend in studio 'monitor' speakers. Nowadays the trend is for more bass-end, and less mid, but back in the 60's/70's hendrix, the who, the stones etc, there was more mid in the sound, so you dont REALLY hear Hendrix the way he heard it in the studio when listening with modern monitors.

I still think dual concentric 12" Tannoys are the best ever (sadly I dont own some tho) - they have amazing stereo definition which blows ANY monitor away due to the tweeter-in-driver dual-concentric design which gives the best stereo imaging and a wider sweet spot - you dont need to sit exactly in the middle to get the stereo like with normal speakers - they have slightly more pronounced midrange than a contemporary 'monitor' and bass-end to die for.

I'm sure someone like Orbital or Leftfield use them.

anyways - until you've heard a pair you aint lived trust me.

Message 8/12             19-Mar-04  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

k

ok, he's not talking dance-studio - but....

Message 9/12             19-Mar-04  @  03:53 PM     Edit: 19-Mar-04  |  04:05 PM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

RagnarOk

I use Wharfedale 8.2s with an Onkyo TX8211 amplifier. For me, they're just fine to do the job, however I listen to a lot of music through that setup, so I know them inside out.

I usually burn a CD with my stuff and listen on various systems, and it always sounded fine, from headphones to car.

Message 10/12             20-Mar-04  @  02:13 AM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

d

a monitor is a speaker that someone decided to sell as a monitor. doesn't mean it's any more accurate or flatter or anything else than a well made hifi speaker. look, I could go to partsexpress.com, buy a bunch of 5 1/2 inch mexican woofers, silk dome tweeters, 2-way crossovers in bulk, then get busy with the table saw on some mdf and start selling what I make as "damballah monitor ones."

Message 11/12             20-Mar-04  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

k

Link?:  Link

hear hear.... it's true man - like one great neaerfield I used to use was some old Richard Allen R8's - little 4" driver bookshelf type speakers, brilliant stuff. Right now I use some Mordaunt-Short 'hi-fi' speakers and they are 100% fine.

Don't get nme wrong, for something a bit bigger, stuff like the Alesis & Mackie etc speakers rock... but not cos they have 'monitor' written on the back somewhere

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/12             22-Mar-04  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: wharfedales as monitors..advice

Jock

hmm after reading your comments I think I'll stick to the Wharfys. cheers.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)