aaa Advice on Audio Interfaces? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             13-Feb-04  @  04:23 PM   -   Advice on Audio Interfaces?

lucidskies

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, here's my deal. I am sitting here with my powerbook, and a useless M-
Audio Delta 1010. Seeing as the 1010 is PCI, and I now have no PCI Bay (no
more desktop...) I need to sell this 1010 and get myself a firewire interface.
Here's the dilema...there are SO Many out there, and even more coming out int
he near future. I have looked at the new ESI Fire series, the Hexa-fire looks
cool--8 I/O (24/192) w/ 4x4 MIDI. I dont know how good those conveters are
though.
Theres also the MOTU 828mkII, which I know is solid all the way around. But no
MIDI (Which I also lack at this point) If I were to pick one of these up, I would
also pick up an Emagic Unitor 8.
Now second to that, my choice would be the Tascam FW-1884. This thing looks
great. and for the price of the 828 and Unitor 8 I would get the 8 I/O, 4x4 MIDI,
and a damn fine looking control surface. Anyone have experience with the
Tascam converters/control surface? And has anyone used it with Logic--if so,
do they work well together?
Anyways, so so so many decisions. Any help is appreciated
Peace!
-Mike
http://lucidskies.dmusic.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             13-Feb-04  @  04:37 PM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

BluStudio

Is it an Apple powerbook on osX?

Digi002 rack worth looking at? Got one here on osX, *solid* performer so far, 8/8+midi

blu

Message 3/12             13-Feb-04  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

Influx

the 828 MKII actually _does_ have midi IO

whats this hexa-fire youre talkin about?

Message 4/12             13-Feb-04  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

lucidskies

The HEXA-Fire is the new flagship interface from Ego-System(ESI), they have a
new line appearently (HEXA, OCTA, and QUATA) based of the WaMi Series.
So the question is, anyone know much about that? I was actually looking at the
OCTA-Fire, not the HEXA. It looks like its going to run about $800. It's not
released yet. It seems too good to be true really. It's 8x8 24bit/192KHz, with 8 1/
4" inputs/outputs on the back, and 4 Mic Preamps ont he front. On top of that its
got 4x4 MIDI I/O. Anyways, you can check it out at http://www.audiomidi.com.
The OCTA is on $600. It looks like a screamin deal, but I don't knwo how the
converters are or anything else for that matter.

AH, so the 828mkII does have a MIDI I/O. Beautiful...but only one...which
means I will need more. Only room for one of my outboard pieces src='images/sad.gif'>

The Digi002 does look pretty tite, but do you know how it runs with Logic? I have
heard that Protools hardware doesnt play nicely with Logic.

Thanks ya'll!
-Mike

Message 5/12             13-Feb-04  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

BluStudio

oh, actually im not too sure, with Pt6 it is the bizz, but thats as far as i can comment i spose - could mebbe go to user conference at www.digidesign.com and search there. There is info to be found, plenty of logic/Pt users using digi hardware with logic

quality wise, the d/a coverters are right nice, far better than my 001s were, and it does have 2x midi out ports also~

MetricHalo put a box out last year- supposed top be good, looked at that?

blu

Message 6/12             13-Feb-04  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

lucidskies

Actaully yes, I've checked out the Metric Halo one. I hear the converters are
Astounding. Its a little pricey though (Seeing as I would also need a separeate
MIDI Interface). I wish I had unlimited funds, but being a college student is down
right pricey. Anyways, thanks blu, I'll check out the forum at digidesign.
Have a good one!
-Mike

Message 7/12             14-Feb-04  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

Influx

hey I just went and looked and the hexa-fire is only ONE midi IO, not four...

Message 8/12             14-Feb-04  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

lucidskies

Link?:  No link

Yeah, I know...I clarified that...I was thinking of the OCTA, but said hexa...sorry for the confusssssiooonnn!
Peace.
-Mike

Message 9/12             14-Feb-04  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

k

again i'll mention that new hercules unit - it looks pretty good

Message 10/12             15-Feb-04  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

I checked out an Ego-System interface for my lappy a few years ago; the drivers were cludgy and customer support was non- existant. I've been usinf the Tascam US428 since and I don't think I could have made a better choice. In addition I can think of few pieces of gear that I've bought that have held their value as well either. Heck, a new one goes for $20.00 MORE than I paid. I would seriously consider the Tascam US428 as a budget controller. It's solid, has been for several years, has MIDI and Frontier Designs converters. Fronteir Designs has been making respectable converters for years.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/products/daksysreview.html

That said, the new Tascam Firewire unit you mentioned, the FW-1884, looks like a great piece. Tascam has been working with the US428 for several years now and I think they will get it right again. In addition its expandable via it's own internal firewire unlike, say, the Mackie controller. While it also looks cool, round back is where it gets sexy; the I/O covers so many bases that it really is a stand alone unit. Unless you're going to use an arsenal of MIDI hardware I doubt you would even need to purchase another MIDI interface.

The areas I'm curious about, one which is key, are the mic pres and latency. The mic pres are not really a problem and I imagine they are as good as any all in one unit, maybe better knowing Tascam. It would be expected that if you want a killer mic pre you'll have to find a stand alone unit. So, no real worries there. Latency, however, is the big question and I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tested the FW-1884 with soft synths and the like. If the latency is low enough then I think the FW-1884 would be the way to go. It won't be as portable as the US428 (whose latency is abysmal) but it will do sooo much more.

Message 11/12             15-Feb-04  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

Moujik

Link?:  Link

I had a brief look at the FW-1884 the other day, & the first thing I noticed was it's (IMHO) questionable build quality. Admittedly it was a display model, but it has curbed my interest.

Message 12/12             16-Feb-04  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: Advice on Audio Interfaces?

k

I've used the US-122 alot, and it seems very good.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)