aaa DIRTY STUFF - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: DIRTY STUFF

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             03-Feb-04  @  10:20 PM   -   DIRTY STUFF

Quade

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I know there is currently a thread on Bass but what i want is the real dirty bass like you would find on a breaks track, I've used the malstron in Reason, find that quite good but after another piece of software, pref a vsti
I got a Nova II and other synths like the an1x but they are too clean and trancey for my efforts (before playing with them)

what i'm really after is fastfood, twiddle a few knobs and i want my monitors sweating

suggestions?
Influx, you got some good b lines on some of your tracks, what you using there?

Cheers

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             03-Feb-04  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Broken Silence

Nova II and no deathbass? Somethin wrong with yer patches then- my nova does some serious bass.

Message 3/12             03-Feb-04  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Quade

dont get me wrong the nova is class but everything that seems to come out just reminds me of trance!

its not got the dirty edge i want, someone suggested waldorf are pretty dirty but aint got that much cash to be shelling out for more HW

Message 4/12             03-Feb-04  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Influx

I use a virus mostly.

Im biting my tongue tho. that fast food comment kinda bummed me out

and...really no need to start another thread homey!

ANY synth can do dirty bass. Distortion, sawtooth waves, FM, Ring modulation...

see...the "quick fix" you want is the heart of your problem. Good sounds come from time and effort, borne out of love, not a shortcut (well, usually. happy accidents are nice)

youve got the tools. learn how to use them. they are capable of doing the job you want to do

Message 5/12             03-Feb-04  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

milan

uh... get a sample cd or something? i mean why not, if you cant be bothered with the whole stress involved in making your own sounds and stuff... or even better, why not just buy a cd with dirty breakz music? hell, just download some mp3'z and you're off... dont waste your time dude...

but seriously now, i dont think i've ever heard a synth which comes with *good* usable presets like that... tho FreeAlpha (free, innit) comes with some not-so-bad presets along the lines of what i think you're after... but thats only the start...

Message 6/12             03-Feb-04  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

milan

oh btw, waldorf aint any better than a nova for dirty bass... unless you wanna roll your own :P

Message 7/12             04-Feb-04  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Influx

junglist presets are pretty gnarly, so are reaktor, so are absynth, so are virus....

Message 8/12             04-Feb-04  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

milan

really? crap... i keep using the wrong synths! no wonder i cant sound like you!

Message 9/12             04-Feb-04  @  08:55 AM     Edit: 04-Feb-04  |  08:59 AM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

dARKSTATe

Is it a posibility that the monitoring you're using isn't providing the sounds you're *expecting* to hear from whatever synths you're using (based on this topic and your other one)

Quite a few times now, ppl have mentioned a wealth of synths that should *easily* do what you're after with a bit of time and effort, or hell, some of them have simple enough interfaces that even "happy accidents" or instant gratification/"fastfood" are easily achievable...

How much do you actually know about synthesis? Mebbe its a deeper understanding that's required so you *know* what kind of architecture you're looking for in a synth in order to produce the sounds you want...

If you're dead set on having the exact kind of sounds you're after easily achievable..

"..twiddle a few knobs and i want my monitors sweating.."

..then IMO, I don't think there's any synth on the market, hard or soft that will do it for you... The guys are all correct when they say you gotta work at it (for the sounds YOU want that is).. I mean I could get "cool" sounds out of any synth with a hands on interface (e.g. a Virus) but just coz its easy to twiddle and get "fast food" sounds, doesn't mean they're gonna work in a tune OR in a mix and this is why I think "fast food"/instant gratification is a bad work ethic when in reality it seems quite clear that you have VERY SPECIFIC ideas about the kinds of sounds you want.

Perhaps using samples with additional FX processing is where you wanna be?

Message 10/12             04-Feb-04  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Well, I must interupt here... imo analoge synths get me where I want real quick most of the time.. not per sé for the warmth or anything but mainly for the simple interfaces... I sometimes find myself lost in the menu's and possibilities when programming the virus or XT... getting complex sounds etc. - which is cool. but when I'm after a quick dial for a gritty mean bass, vintage synths like an Arp Axxe, SH-101 or even modern analoges like the SA neptunes help out most... dunno about others but I dwell off into other possibilities real quick when programming, borders of older/simpeler synths keep me in line  

Message 11/12             04-Feb-04  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Influx

"really? crap... i keep using the wrong synths! no wonder i cant sound like you! "

heh. cept I only actually use ONE of those I listed 

Message 12/12             05-Feb-04  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: DIRTY STUFF

Quade

thanks guys

I must admit i dont know everything about synthesis but I do know my way around

not sure how to get good sounds with the osc and lfo but know the rest

oh and btw, the other thread is not mine, I was just commenting my thread was also about bass

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)