aaa Is it possible.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Is it possible....

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             23-Oct-03  @  09:21 PM   -   Is it possible....

Hydrofonix

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I know there have been discussions about this but I can't seem to find them so I'll just ask then. Is it possible to rip vocals from a finished song with out it sounding like shite? If yes please elaborate. Thank you.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             24-Oct-03  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

psylichon

One of the best ways to do that is to find an instrumental version of the song (it has to be EXACTLY the same length, bit for bit... CD rips are a must really, no MP3's), reverse the polarity of the file, line it up down to the sample with the full track, and mix them with faders at null. Ideally, the out-of-phase instrumental will completely cancel out any information in the original that isn't vocal program or effects.

Ideally...

good luck.

Message 3/12             24-Oct-03  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

Hydrofonix

#1 have you tried this and know that it works?
#2 Can I do that in soundforge?
#3 Anybody else have any idea's?

Thanks for the response psy.

Message 4/12             24-Oct-03  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

psylichon

1. Yes, but it worked best with uncompressed digital copies of the original and the instrumental, i.e. stuff I've brought home freshly mixed from the studio. Mp3's and Vinyl may not give the best results.

2. Yes. But it's easier to get it all lined up and leveled in a multitrack program.

3. What my answer's not good enough for you? ;)

Message 5/12             24-Oct-03  @  05:58 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

influx

Link?:  Link

funny psy, but Ive never actually heard that technique. not that i know shit really

also...arent there ways to play with the stereo field and phase too? since vocals are usually centered? somehow cancel out the stereo sounds? Youd still be stuck with some of the mono/center sounds, but...would be masked?

Message 6/12             24-Oct-03  @  06:05 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

psylichon

People do A-B (subtracting one side of the stereo file from the other, or reversing polarity and mixing them) to remove vocals and other centered sonics in a mix, resulting in a mono mix of just the stereo information. "poor man's karaoke" or the opposite of what hydro wants to do.

Altho now that I go back and read the original post, it's kinda vague what you want, hydro. You want an instrumental or an accapella in the end?

Message 7/12             24-Oct-03  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

milan

blimey psy, thats an excellent idea.

Message 8/12             24-Oct-03  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

milan

the one with the caraoke version i mean.

Message 9/12             24-Oct-03  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: Is it possible....

Hydrofonix

I was wanting to get the vocals from a track. Its a completely finished published song that I'm trying to do an unauthorized remix of. And your idea was good psy it just sounded kinda overwhelming..I didn't know if there was an easier way like muting all frequency's except for those in the vocal range or something.

Message 10/12             24-Oct-03  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: Is it possible....

Hydrofonix

Link?:  No link

p.s. The reason I thought it sounded overwhelming is that the chances of me finding just an instrumental of the song is about %1.

Message 11/12             25-Oct-03  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

INFLUX

but...you cant EQ out stuff, because theres gonna be overlaps without question

you could try highpassing all the bass, and then a series of narrow parametrics

but actually psys idea is the most likely to work correctly, BUT like you said finding an instrumental..well...slim to none

Message 12/12             25-Oct-03  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Is it possible....

beds

ask the record company for an acapella. no harm in asking. otherwise go down your local record shop and ask them if there's one going around. depending on what it is you can get away with the highpass/lowpass trick - i've done it before with a j.j. cale track - vocal sound like it's through a telephone but that might work ok in the track.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)