aaa Internet connected? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Internet connected?

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             26-Sep-03  @  09:00 PM   -   Internet connected?

switchbladesousa

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just curious, but how many of you folks have your music stations internet connected? I'm building a new machine and was planning on keeping it isolated, but I'm having second thoughts.
Diggidy.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             26-Sep-03  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: Internet connected?

Zazza

I never go on the internet

I just pay David Blaine to move bits around inside computers using mind power alone..

(Thx Dave)

Message 3/12             26-Sep-03  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: Internet connected?

Yonce

I wish I could, as soon as i get my laptop from work my music pc is saying goodbye to the world wide web. There is absolutly nothing that has more potential to screw up your pc than plugging it into the web. If you are online you also have to run virus protection and a firewall that steal up pressious memory and processing power from you audio apps. its worth the hassel of downloading sounds and updates software and such to another computer and burning them to cd to avoid connicting your studio pc to the internet. The way i plan on handeling it is to get one of thoes usb pen drives for easy transfers then i wont even have to network my music pc. Don't do it if you can avoid it.

Message 4/12             26-Sep-03  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: Internet connected?

Steve Roughley

Why don't you get the best of both worlds and Dual Boot? That way you can surf the Internet and keep your Audio OS from suffering Internet clutter.

Regards.

Stephen.

Message 5/12             26-Sep-03  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Internet connected?

BluStudio

Link?: Link

yeah, prolly dual boot on the fucker-

i use this pc for internet and soundforge stuff - audio ripping, sampling and editing samples etc but my main music comp is a G4 which has only PTle installed on it and nuthin else and it works like a dream

blu

Message 6/12             27-Sep-03  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Internet connected?

psylichon

I have one computer. I'm a heavy internet user, and a heavy audio s/w user. Ive never had a problem, as long as I'm not trying to do too much concurrently. I understand the reasoning for "keeping it seperated," but I think that philosophy is over-played quite a bit.

The best thing to do, imo, is learn to keep a tidy system. Know where all your settings are being stored, know how to restore a system image in case of emergency. Keep track of your software, trim the fat frequently. Tidy up temp files, things like that. If you exercise that kind of control on your system, I think audio and internet can live peacefully in the same system. And it will help you learn to troubleshoot your computer more easily in the process.

psy

Message 7/12             27-Sep-03  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: Internet connected?

milan

yeah. i do the same and have no problems. but if you wanna be like really grown up and serious about it, you may as well keep it separated.

Message 8/12             27-Sep-03  @  01:32 AM   -   RE: Internet connected?

Stephen Lard

Zazza - With so many clowns on the internet, you must feel a bit crowded.

Message 9/12             27-Sep-03  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: Internet connected?

mcc>

i need a computer just to keep my salad recipes on.

Message 10/12             27-Sep-03  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: Internet connected?

Zazza

Use a separate firewall - either on a router or on a linux/bsd box, then you dont have to run shit on your music 'puter... or any other computer inside the firewall for that matter..

Message 11/12             27-Sep-03  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: Internet connected?

k

yeah, pc's are so checp now, build a dedicated music box and network 'em with a couple of cards

Message 12/12             27-Sep-03  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Internet connected?

§ï†ÅR

I have the best of both worlds. Sonar, Reaktor, Moog modularV, Albino, and other synths and supportive audio software tidbits on the one hand. Unreal Tournament, UT2k3, CuteFTP for uploading maps to the servers on the other hand, and all on one lovely pc. I can upload maps and write music at the same time! :P

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)