aaa Do I need a sampler? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Do I need a sampler?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             14-Aug-98  @  09:37 PM   -   Do I need a sampler?

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

I currently am using mostly software for my synthesis and sequencing. Im using an awe 64 gold, making waves, sound forge and acid. Am I missing out on something by not having a dedicated sampler? Im not planning to perform out live, I'm a DJ. How terrible is it to use the awe's sampling Ram?

Thanks,

Slicksta

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             15-Aug-98  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

kilo

tough one....... it can be done.....

Message 3/13             13-Sep-98  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

geek

depends how serious you are? the awe is a heap of shite - but it gets the job done - just not well done

Message 4/13             14-Sep-98  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

Richie

Try testing the output of the awe64 synth (that the soundfonts are output on) against the output of the wave driver. The wave sounds better don't it? I reckon that the on board eq for the soundfonts is complete shit and somehow manages to take all the life out of your samples.

Plus.. Something I am really missing from samples is being able to fine tune a sample while your track is playing. You just can't do that with soundfonts (If it is possible please let me know). Thing is I never heard of anyone buying a sampler and regretting it.

Message 5/13             14-Sep-98  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

kilo

making waves is ok.. after all it's doing just about the same job as a sampler... a sampler and sequencer is maybe eaisier to work with, cos you have it in a midi system... but then again M/waves has midi.... anyways you wanna be able to compose new midi bitz alomg with the current sample arrangement, then sample the new part as a loop when it;s created if needs be... that is it's advantage...to be able to run midi compositions in synthc... if your running the version of MW that can do that, then you've got pretty much the same thing

Message 6/13             14-Sep-98  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

rouge

Bollocks! Making Waves is NOT doing the same job as a sampler! A sampler is much more versatile and does making waves have FX, loops, that stuff?
Making Waves is just a tedious music making program.

Message 7/13             15-Sep-98  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

xoxos

Link?:  Link

umm... i have a friend that wants to start doing some tracker type stuff on pc and has practically no musical knowledge.

can anyone recommend an easy to pick up tracker app that will import .wav samples and sequence them? it doesn't really need to be much more complex than that...

i'd really appreciate that.%6)

xoxos.

Message 8/13             15-Sep-98  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

Richie

See above - Makin Waves... For a tracker it's spot on (well really it's a step away from a tracker in that the arranging is a whole lot more intuitive). I use it now and again when I can't be arsed to switch the whole studio on. Plus if something good comes of it you can allways stream the wav to a file and load that into your main sequencer to get you going on your next tune... This is something I do with my mates who aren't into sequencing enough to learn it, I just give them an hour on makin waves then I'll do the rest on my studio equipment. They take the resulting track away pleased as punch because they really have had a good input on a tune without getting their hands dirty.

Re- the original question.. Have you thought about one of those smaller samplers that are geared more towards dj's? The yamaha su10, akai s20 or that boss sp202? These all have specific function geared towards dj's plus you can midi them up and use them in your sequencing.. Only the akai has adisk drive tho. Some good second hand prices around.

Message 9/13             15-Sep-98  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

chad_mitchell

Richie,

if you use awe toy for the awe 64 gold you can fine tune the samples in real time. Its free and definetely worth using considering you already have ane awe, don't you? Use it, and let me know your results.

-Chad-

Message 10/13             15-Sep-98  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

Noble

How richie , how do you do it?

Message 11/13             15-Sep-98  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

Purple Haze

I used an awe64 (still got it), have played around with making waves (nice program), but after buying my esi32 and learning how to use it, I can't imagine having to do without and having only the awe64 as sample playback device.

Making waves is ok, but it's nothing compared to the ease of use and the versatility (wow, I'm learning difficult words) of a sampler. You can't really compare the two, it's quite a different way of working imho.

Message 12/13             15-Sep-98  @  11:22 PM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

Soundblaster AWEs are bullshit !

if itīs a 32er or 64er or "Gold" is not the matter

these Cards defently suck !
the output of the Synth/Sampler is crap
The Soundblaster 16 or whatever is good for games,
the Wave out is okay.

Holger

Message 13/13             16-Sep-98  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: Do I need a sampler?

Richie

Awe Toy! Shit, I'd forgotten about that! I used to have it before I re-formatted my drive.. I'll have to dig it out again. Thanks for reminding me. Hopefully I'll be getting a sampler in the not to distant future tho, I think I'm going for the A3000 since I found out it could read wav files, makes editing a load easier if you can use sound forge or cool edit.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)