aaa Would there be any sense to make... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Would there be any sense to make...

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             23-Feb-04  @  04:52 PM   -   Would there be any sense to make...

mandylion

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Would there be any sense to make a trance track in 5/4 time signature? You know.. there would be 5 kickdrums in one measure (bar). It doesn't have to work in the dance floor, but would it be too weird for just listening also.... what do you think? Which signatures would be usable for trance tracks besides your typical 4/4?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             23-Feb-04  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

milan

Link?: Link

dont ask- do it!!! i totaly support the idea of trying out different things just to break up the monotony if nothing else.

as for other signatures... i guess 3/4 waltz rhytm or 6/4 would be worth exploring (if you can avoid sounding cheesy). also, if you want to get more adventurous i'd recomend balkan ethno rhytm of 7/8ths (prevalent in macedonian and bulgarian music). makes for a cool breakbeat... takata-taka-taka takata-taka-taka  . and also... i once heard a cool dnb tune in 7/4, where the guy basically chopped of the first beat of every second measure. sounded almost suprisingly even actually, not weird at all.

good luck experimenting.

Message 3/13             23-Feb-04  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

craig

I've got parts in 9 and in 7 on my upcoming tunes...

I love odd times, but I don't like odd times just to be odd.. They have to sound natural. Prog Rock bands were king at that.

-Craig

Message 4/13             23-Feb-04  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

cydonia cell

there's nothing more challenging than working in odd time signatures and still creating a flow that works for people who are completely invested in 4/4...

working on bassline's that groove and lock up with off time signatures is difficult... it's easy to be odd with this stuff, but real work, and skill to make it come off smooth!

Do it, it will develop your musicality, and if you can pull it off, you'll have a helluva track, that will be distinct and stand out while creating a great sense of interest.

as was said so well above:

"dont ask- do it!!!"...

and let us know how it comes out!

e

Message 5/13             24-Feb-04  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

xoxos

'ambient trance' in 5/4 ^ :p doesn't have much in the way of handles, but relaxing.

Message 6/13             24-Feb-04  @  12:19 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

sitar

Which odd time signature for Trance? Novel.

Here's an idea you can play with. Because it's 5/4, make it 10/4 instead. Same thing but twice as long for phrasing. (course you can do it in 5/8...same thing)

Now think of 10/4 eighth notes starting from the eighth beat and create a handle with beats that go eighth eighth eighth rest eighth eighth eighth rest eighth (the last eighth note lands on the downbeat of 1) Then a short phrase starting on 3 and ending on the downbeat of 7. On eight pick up the handle again.

That's just one idea but let that run through your sequencer a few times and it's easy to feel where 1 is coming. You might put something like that down (in melody) and come back to it every few measures so as not to get monotonous.

That's just an example.

Message 7/13             24-Feb-04  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

mcc>

it's a bit like asking what's on the other side of the peak
when you're the one standing closest to it.
go take a look.

Message 8/13             24-Feb-04  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

mandylion

I already goofed around with 5/4.... and I decided to add two beats to it so it was in 7/4 I guess? (I don't understand these signature terms completely yet). Then I tried Milans suggestion, 7/8ths (takata-taka-taka takata-taka-taka), which I liked.... thank you Milan   ..I took a bassline from 7/4 and layered it with this balkan rhythm... sounded quite groovy. Sitar... I also tried to make what you were suggesting but didn't quite understand it... could you make a quick simple example of it? I would really like to know what ment. Xoxos... that was interesting and hypnotic... it could be longer... it sounded like it was just starting. If anybody else has tracks (genre doesn't matter) in other signatures than 4/4 then post links I'd like to listen...  

Message 9/13             24-Feb-04  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

cydonia cell

let's see I have a 7/8 somewhere...

I'll post it tonight when I get home

e

Message 10/13             24-Feb-04  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

Centurion

Check out Hallucinogen for cool time signatures in Trance-like music, it's always musical and flowing. Especially listen to (and thoroughly analyze) the song Shakey Shaker (from the album 'The Lone Deranger'), which has a 3/4 signature that sounds incredibly dancefloor friendly, I could have sworn it was 4/4 until someone pointed it out to me.

Message 11/13             25-Feb-04  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

cydonia cell

Autechre has a track on Amber (can't remeber the one, maybe the 3rd track) that's in 5/4... We all knew something was up about that track, but couldn't put our collective finger on what it was... took a few years before i realized what they were up to...

i believe the name of the track is Silverside, but it's been sometime since I listend to Autechre...

e

Message 12/13             25-Feb-04  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

BluStudio

Vincet de moors classic -fly away and ferry corstens new 'rock your body rock' track are the only wierd time sig tracks i can think of that pull it off without sounding akward.... *drums fingers and thinks*

if you must then i reckon just try keeping it semi-flowing and experiment in 6/4, you could still hold it together at that, but 7/8 and that kinda stuff would just plain do my head in

blu

Message 13/13             25-Feb-04  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Would there be any sense to make...

sitar

I don't know if I'll get the time to put something down. Wouldn't be until the weekend anyway.

Another thing to keep in mind is anything in 5/4 played 4 times becomes like 4/4. It might not feel like it depending on the tempo and phrasing but 5 and 4 both go evenly into 20.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)