aaa A very basic question - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: A very basic question

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             04-Jan-04  @  01:43 AM   -   A very basic question

Linus Stick

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Sorry for posting a very basic question, but here it goes...
I am just getting into "producing" and my very limited setup includes:
Crappy 303
Korg MS2000
Reason
Pioneer 600 dj mixer

Now I have done some songs in Reason that I want to add sounds from the korg to. The only way I am able to do that now is run my SBLive sound card to a channel in the mixer and run the korg to another channel and just play along. I can't seem to mentally make the connection on how to do all this with just the PC. Can I do this or do I need an outboard mixer (something I'd rather not go into)

I see pictures of studios that have plenty of hard synths wired together with a computer as the central "brain" if you will. In this case, how are the hard synth sounds coming from the computer speakers (I know you can't need a separate amp for each)
Thanks and sorry for the dumb question

Alan

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             04-Jan-04  @  01:48 AM   -   RE: A very basic question

queasy00

you could run the mixer outs to your soundcard ins.

or in your case, just run all your outboard (ie. not reason) into a mixer then run the mixer outs into the soundcard ins and then from soundcard out to your amp or whatever.

btw, when you said crappy 303, do you mean like... a 303 clone or an actual tb-303?

-j

Message 3/13             04-Jan-04  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: A very basic question

mcc>

Link?: Link

you'll either need a mixer or a soundcard with several ins....

or both.

OR!!!!! sell your outboard gear......and get the nord lead refill at ebay.
5 bucks + s/h.

Message 4/13             04-Jan-04  @  02:51 AM   -   RE: A very basic question

psylichon

part one is syncing up your synths with Reason. As far as I know, Reason will not control external MIDI devices, but I could be wrong. But I suspect you will need a sequencer that supports rewire so you can sequence both reason and your hardware from that.

part two is monitoring it all. If you get the sync thing working, you can just run your soundcard and synths into seperate channels on your mixer. When you're ready to "mix down" in the computer you just route your hardware synth mix into your computer and record it alongside your software synths. Then render your software into audio tracks and you're left with all audio that you then finally mix down to your final stereo file that goes to CD, mp3, whatever.

baaaaaasically.... it gets a lot more complicated than that but let's take it from there. Make sense?

Message 5/13             04-Jan-04  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: A very basic question

mcc>

baaaaaaasically........

Message 6/13             04-Jan-04  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: A very basic question

Linus Stick

So what you are saying is that to record/play my synth with Reason, I would need an outboard mixer or another sound card?

Message 7/13             04-Jan-04  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

milan

wait... you have Pioneer DJM600? with 4 stereo channels right?

ok, so do the following:

MC303 into one channel, MS2000 into second, and PC line out into the third channel.

then:

connect either main out or record out from your mixer to the pc line in, and monitor out to your amp/speakers.

that way you'll be able to controll all the sound sources from the mixer. monitor out will allow you to regulate the listening volume, while main out will allow you to set the level for recording your synths into the PC from the mixer's master fader.

hopefully this was simple enough.

only thing is... you cant record audio into Reason, so you'll have to find another application for doing that, like Wavelab or something. possibly, you should upgrade to Cubase which will allow you to sequance your hardware synths via MIDI; and also record them into PC as audio for further mixing.

hope this helps,

m.

Message 8/13             04-Jan-04  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

milan

oh another thing: when recording your synths into PC, mute the PC playback channel on your mixer to avoid making a loop in the chain, and getting nasty feedback as a result.

Message 9/13             04-Jan-04  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

k

Link?:  No link

I forget if reason can sequence external gear - (can Reason 2 ??)

Orion plat' can do it & fruity.

Message 10/13             04-Jan-04  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

manthra

Link?:  No link

"Upgrade to Cubase"????....hahahahaha Reason is way better than "shitbase"

Sell all of your outboard gear and by a new computer with the cash, so u can run more stuff within Reason.

Message 11/13             04-Jan-04  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

milan

OMG!!!LOL!!!!WHAT YOU SAY!!1!1

*sigh*

if this were not that kinda forum i'd kick your ass right now kid :P

Message 12/13             04-Jan-04  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

Hydrofonix

Oh God... not this argument again....

Message 13/13             04-Jan-04  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: A very basic question

RagnarOk

No, reason can't sequence external gear. Not even 2.5. "shitbase" however can do it pretty well, and can connect to reason via rewire (audio streams from reason to cubase).

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)