aaa Novation A station probelmo... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Novation A station probelmo...

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             16-Sep-03  @  04:49 PM   -   Novation A station probelmo...

Synge

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey there guys!
I'm a newbie through and through. I recieved my first synth rack module today which is a Novation A Station and I've listened so far to the presets and am very excited! However - my first obstacle is already blocking me from discovering more about this cool lookin machine...

I've connected the rack to an oldish obscure casio tonebank keyboard so I can play the Novation with a large array of keys...at first after connecting it all I thought that the casio tone bank must have not been working in the midi department because I got no sound - however the A Station does seem to be picking up a signal of some nature from it. I found that whenever I pressed one of the casio tone bank's keys, the led with the label "RX Midi CH" flickers in unison. This was comforting but there's still no sound coming from the A station through the headphones which I'm using.

I've never used midi before and this is my first synth so far (I bought it second hand and was wondering if i may need to reset the settings on the synth)...I've got a Darkstar XP2 arriving in a few days too hehe!

Help!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             16-Sep-03  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

GrooveMonkey

Link?: Link

You're neartly there... just make sure that the channel on which the keys transmit is the same midi channel that the a-station is set to receive on.

G

Message 3/14             16-Sep-03  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

Synge

How do I specify the midi channel on this old casio tone keyboard?? It doesn't have any options for which channel to use...reckon i need to change the A Stations channel and hope i fall in line with the right one...?

Message 4/14             16-Sep-03  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

GrooveMonkey

Link?:  Link

no idea about the keys, but just cycle through the channels on the novation and you'll find it quick enough

Message 5/14             16-Sep-03  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

eskimo_commando

If anyone knows how to cycle through the midi channels plz tell me how lol!! This manual's making my eyes sore!!

Message 6/14             16-Sep-03  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

GrooveMonkey

Link?:  Link

Move the led so it lights next to midi rx ch and spin the data dial innit!

G

Message 7/14             16-Sep-03  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

mcc>

sounds like you need to spend 100 bucks on a little controller keyboard if these other boxes are gonna start arriving soon.
you don't got a sequencer attached?

yes...new to the wonderful and sometimes frustrating world of midi.
i hope you like fighting.....with your toys that is.

btw...as per a-station...after searching many sites. i thought i read once that it had 2 channels of midi but couldn't confirm this. not one site says it IS mutli-timbral. not even novation. i asked an e-bay seller if this was a mono-timbral synth and she said yes..it is multi-timbral.

hmmm...

?

Message 8/14             17-Sep-03  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

Broken Silence

Nope, Novation A Station is 8 voice polyphony 1 part

Message 9/14             17-Sep-03  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

mcc>

she tried to sell me the thing as multi-timbral.

i won't say who she is.

Message 10/14             18-Sep-03  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

Synge

Does anyone know how much that will effect the synth use in songs? Ie it will only be a lead sound input to a song or one background pad etc...? I'm teaming this A Station up with a Darkstar XP2 and was wondering which one I'll use more for songs...probably the XP2 cos it has 5 parts!

Message 11/14             18-Sep-03  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

BluStudio

Link?: Link

yup, got one sitting here- its 1 part only, so your not going to be using it soley as a work horse.

it a cheap single part cut down of the more expensive k range innit?

for a coupla hunbdred squids its tops mind you, anyhow your question-

press the select button till it lights up "MIDI RX CH" - there you should see a number displayed between 1-16. turn the "porta Data" knob to set it to a channel, prolly 1 best to test on with that casio. hit a view keys on the casio and see if anything comes out?

if not try hitting keys and turning the knob to different numbers to check what channel the casio is transmitting on, if still nothing try pushing the "demo" button where you should hear the patch dfefinately.

if still nuthin try the obvious like master volume and *make sure* you have a patch dialled up!

If still nothing then restet the machine to factory settings and go thru the above again.

If still nuthin, go looking for the person who sold ya it  

BTW_ is it black or silver? i ask this cos the first ones to come out (black) had very glitchy software and jammed all the time- i had two black ones returned before i got the silver one as replacement.

again, wicked value boxes!

blu

Message 12/14             18-Sep-03  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

Synge

It's silver. I fixed the problem now! God I love it already!!

Message 13/14             18-Sep-03  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

mcc>

damn...haven't used anything novation in a decade but i remember this old bass-station i got loaned once. they sure make some fatty little synths!
have fun synge.

Message 14/14             18-Sep-03  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: Novation A station probelmo...

dubmunkey

hello mate, there is some patches at the a-station user group on yahoo-

do a search for novA-station if you want them- theres some good stuff there and also some stuff by me  .....its a pretty inactive group but good for o/s updates, patches, i think there is even a instrument def for some s/w seq in there too...

greg

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)