aaa Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 06-Sep-98  @  01:16 PM   -   Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not?

DJ Phallus the anal one

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Okay, I'll soon have quite some money. What should I buy? (I've already got an MPC
2000, a little DJ mixer and a bass with amp and fx...
First I was going to buy a Rave-O-Lution 309. But I think it's somewhat limited, it can't
create all the sounds I want...
Then I tought the Virus might be better - but it's very expensive. I can afford it, but
then I'll have no more money to buy stuff like compressors etc...
I could also buy a Waldorf Pulse - it may only be able to cre8 one sound at a time,
but it's supposed to sound great and I could sample everything and add more stuff...

BUT!!! Now I've learned about the new Quasimidi Polymorph, which looks like a
beast. I just got an email from quasimidi, and they said it only costs 1898DM. (they're German, y'know...) That's a lot less than a virus, yet they claim:

"The polymorph has a much more powerful sound-engine than the 309. It's more
compareable with instrument like the nordlead or the virus. The polymorph offers up
to 3 oscillators per voice with sync, powerful wavetables and also samples of analog
killers like the minimoog and the Vector VS synth. You get a lowpass and a highpass
filter at the same time. You can assign them seriell or parallel. For that reason you
can use them as notch and bandpass-filters.A speciality are the included morphing
sequencers. They work like the analog-sequencers of modular synths. The polymorph
has 4 16 step sequencers - each with 4 rows. They can control all parameters of the
polymorph. This is ideal for programming Kraftwerk-like sequences like on the man
machine album. (Kraftwerk were using 2 prototypes of the polymorph live on stage on
their world tour 98).

The polymorph doesn't contain drum-samples. But you can program drummachine
grooves with the morphing-sequencer when using noise and sine waves for the
oscilators and modulate the filters and envelopes at every step of the sequencer."

Sounds like a pretty good deal, no? Well, should I buy this? They've got a demo at their site, but it doesn't give me a clue... What do you guys think???

TNX!
-CU-

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/14             08-Sep-98  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not?

JAWA

At the end of the day its really what's the most you can get for you cash...... and as much as i hate to admit it ;-) you'd be better off with the nova, why do i hate to admit it so much? cos i wish i'd waited until it had come out and bought one myself.......

You've got a tune in your head you wanna put it down on tape and the nova is soooo quick, and easy, and great sounding, and blue, and british for fucks sake...... bugger i want one.....

Message 12/14             08-Sep-98  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not?

kilo

yeah but mate....an old 106 or whatever and a decent sampler with a fex fx pedals will also turn out premium product too.... so it aint just about money, cos in a way i am sad at atimes about the quality of the creative stuff i used to churn out when i only had a few bitz of kit.... now i've got tons, i couldnt hand on heart say i make better music....

Message 13/14             08-Sep-98  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not?

DJ Phallus

Yeah Kilo, I've got a sampler - an MPC 2000, remember?
I can't work part-time, because, well, there'll be no time left to go out and enjoy myself. I know
music is great, but I still want a life...
Anyway, my dad said that if I pass this year, he'll give me half the money I need for the Supernova.
Only problem: I'll have to wait 10 more months!!! Maybe I'll buy something cheaper in the mean-
time, just to get myself some analog sounds...
I might still go for the Polymorph, tho... Anyone got actual experience with it?
I've got anather question... I'm affraid the problem with exp. gear like the Supernova is that you've
got so much sounds, a lot of them will suck. I've got no experience with synths, so wouldn't some
piece of kit that can only create a limited number of sounds, but all cool sounds, be better? I
dunno...
BTW, Kilo, I'm from Belgium...
-CU-

Message 14/14             08-Sep-98  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: Quasimidi Polymorph - buy or not?

DJ Phallus

Yeah Kilo, I've got a sampler - an MPC 2000, remember?
I can't work part-time, because, well, there'll be no time left to go out and enjoy myself. I know
music is great, but I still want a life...
Anyway, my dad said that if I pass this year, he'll give me half the money I need for the Supernova.
Only problem: I'll have to wait 10 more months!!! Maybe I'll buy something cheaper in the mean-
time, just to get myself some analog sounds...
I might still go for the Polymorph, tho... Anyone got actual experience with it?
I've got anather question... I'm affraid the problem with exp. gear like the Supernova is that you've
got so much sounds, a lot of them will suck. I've got no experience with synths, so wouldn't some
piece of kit that can only create a limited number of sounds, but all cool sounds, be better? I
dunno...
BTW, Kilo, I'm from Belgium...
-CU-

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)