aaa Drum pads/electronic triggers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Drum pads/electronic triggers

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             18-Nov-98  @  03:49 PM   -   Drum pads/electronic triggers

99devils

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Anybody here using electronic pads or triggers for entering/playing drum parts? I'm looking at some of the low cost options in this area. I already have an Alesis DM5 so I have the ability to add "standard" pads or triggers for drums. Anyone know anything about the Simmons and/or Yamaha pads? Are there any others I should be aware of? I'm loking low cost here, so please don't rant about the Clavia ddrums :-)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             18-Nov-98  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

rouge

Well, I use a cheapo Yamaha DD50 which you can get if you look hard enough for about £60 UK. Its velocity sensitive, has a hi-hat and bass drum pedal plus 7 pads and has a midi-out. BUT, its crap.

Message 3/15             18-Nov-98  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

horizens

roland pads? the v-drums are pricey but very good. the older pads are good too, but i can't remember the names.

Message 4/15             19-Nov-98  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

buggo

i'd kill for a set of midi drum pads...or even a decent velo sensitive keyboard...i HATE programming!!!

Message 5/15             19-Nov-98  @  01:51 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

99devils

I'm one of those few sould who find programming music in stanard notation very liberating, but that doesn't apply to drums! I suck at them, but it'd be cool to be able to build up the parts (ie 1 drum at a time)... another guy in my band is OK at them too, and he wants to have something to practice on. I saw some Yamaha pads (can't remember the model) for $20 apiece at www.ugbm.com, and was wondering if I should spring for them...

-C

Message 6/15             19-Nov-98  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

Will

I think that the Roland V drums look good but are a bit pricey at £2500. Pads are overrated, cause the rebound off the surface is shite compared to an acoustic kit. Thats why the V Drums rule cause of that snare.

Message 7/15             20-Nov-98  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Buy yourself a cheap snare and mount a piezo to it. You can find DIY plans at:

http://www.best.com/~misery/k2000/DRUM-PADS/drum-pads.html

He says to mount them to cheap practice pads, but Will is right about the feel of a real snare. You can use silicon to mute the skin.

Message 8/15             20-Nov-98  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

99devils

I don't really care about the feel of the pad, since I'm not a drummer (and neither is anyone in the band)... but it's a more intuitive interface that the computer keyboard for programming drum parts

Message 9/15             20-Nov-98  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

horizens

you can buy just one v drums pad and hook it up to another module. the feel is quite good but they run about $200us a piece i think. not budget.

Message 10/15             30-Nov-98  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

kdaldy

I also have a dm5

don't laugh:

I bought some 2$ dynamic mics from radioshack/tandy and got some plastic lolly jars (around 15cm diameter and 20cm deep). These lolly jars are the kind that hold the 1 or 2c candy and have a softish plasticky lid which have a great feel.

By pumping up the gain and playing with the settings they are very responsive, you can tap, flam, roll, and there is no misfiring or crossfiring when they are all taped together and sat on a tripod.

Throw the mic in the lolly jar, drill a hole in the bottom for the lead and you are in business. Chuck a headphone extension lead on the mics for some extra length.

these are the settings I use:

gain:85 vcurv:7 xtalk:34 dec:06 nois:00

the mics are phillips 300ohm plasticky things like you use for a cheap tape recorder.

ok, the things do make a kind of plastic sound but it is not too loud and can be masked with headphones or a loud PA/monitors.

-kd-

Message 11/15             30-Nov-98  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

Errata

Long ago I worked with an Industrial guy who had a D4. He did the same thing as Kdaldy...only he taped the mics into pvc pipe and built this big ugly thing he called a drum kit. It looked somewhat monstrous but was a blast to play with, I'd do it myself now if I had a drum unit like the d5...also a Roland Octapad if you can find one used sends via midi to the d5 and is cheap cheap cheap and it leaves your drum trigger ports free. In this way you can build some of your own triggers and use the octapad and have a virtual kit...good luck.

Message 12/15             02-Dec-98  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

DIY is definately the cheapest way to go. Any fairly solid object, and some cheap piezo contact transducers, and a used D4, and you are definately in business; cheap and fun. Picture what kind of havoc you could wreak with some pots and pans on a coat rack rigged up with the D4 as your interface, and a sampler with who knows what kind of noises. Mmmm.....
Ape

Message 13/15             02-Dec-98  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

horizens

going along with what's been suggested, you could also buy a few drum practice pads and add triggers to them. i like the responsive feel of the rubber heads.
brilliant idea from kdaldy

Message 14/15             02-Dec-98  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

99devils

going back to the start of this thread....

Yeah I know you can make 'em. I've thought about it several times. Consider that a practice pad costs about $10, and the rest of the stuff you need costs about $5 (Piezo Mike, wire, 1/4 inch jack), plus your time, it would probably be worth it to plunder the used market of its $20-30 pads.

Anyway, I've begin thinking about building them again.

-Craig

Message 15/15             02-Dec-98  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: Drum pads/electronic triggers

kilo

well, you can put a rubber pad over a wood back-board with a piezo stuck on it ... that'll work...

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)