aaa diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             31-Aug-98  @  06:29 AM   -   diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have agreed to buy a cr1604 non-vlz with rack ears, manual, and box, in great shape, for $500. i think this ain't a bad deal....but what are the differences b/w the vlz and non vlz models aside from the vlz circuitry itself? i know there are lots of differences...like no sweepable mid eq...but i can live with that. if anyone has any thoughts, or (especially!) a picture, i'd appreciate it...thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             31-Aug-98  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

rouge

Fuck me! Where do you get all this cash from? Are you a rent boy?

Anyway, from what I've heard its just a bit quieter... And better mic pre-amps.

Message 3/15             31-Aug-98  @  02:28 PM   -   other differences

skul

i think the original 1604s also only had the mic inputs and preamps on the first 8 channels. also i think they only had inserts on the first 8 channels. there's a few other differences, but they're relatively minor.

and bug, you won't be sorry. that thing will keep you happy for many years to come.

Message 4/15             01-Sep-98  @  02:37 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

he he...

YES! he lowered the price to $400 plus shipping...i'm so fuckin stoked....yeehah...

and rouge: I actually perform oral sex on single middle-age businessmen to get my cash.

Message 5/15             01-Sep-98  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

buggo

sorry, forgot to put my name on that last one...

anyhoo i work 5 nights a week taking care of those damned drug babies at the local weirdo center. It's not bad work, most of the rime, and it's $10 an hour, tax free (i'm technically not on their payroll!) plus I don't have to flip burgers and it's only an hour and a half a night...where do you work rouge?

(thanks for the info about the board...he shipped it today and evidentally there is som minimal fader noise but nothing I can't live with or get fixed, especially considering my current mixer, an old 6-channel mono Ross powered jobbie that is noisy as fuck and the faders crackle so loud it maxes out the VU in SAW!!...i never thought i'd be able to seriously get into music like this because of extensive cash requirements but after looking around i remain optimistic...things can be had cheaply! now all I need is an emax, another cheapo analog (basstation) and decent sequencer and i'm set...all for an investment of about $1500, of which I've already shelled out almost $1000...patience patience patience...!!)

also, why would anyone need all 16 mic AND line inputs? you can't use both simultaneously on a channel, can you?

Message 6/15             01-Sep-98  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

bill

Link?:  Link

you could be recording a 16-part vocal harmony on 16 mics simaltaneoudly? or miking up an orchestra i guess. but surely you can avoid doing that....

does the 1604 have 16 inputs and four assignable outputs/subgroups?

Message 7/15             01-Sep-98  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

skul

bug: no you wouldn't use both simultaneously. however, some people need all mic inputs (esp. club sound engineers) whilst others couldn't give a rats ass and want all lines. now Mackie isn't about to go out and make 2 versions of the same model, so they give you both. mainly it comes down to it being a selling point (adds to its flexibility).

bill: yeah, it's a 4 buss. so you got yer Main outs (L/R), yer CR/Phones outs, and then the subs 1-4. each sub can be assigned to either the L/R channel of the main mix. each of the 16 inputs is assignable to subs 1-2, 3-4, main, and CR/phones. not to mention the 6 aux sends, so if you're tracking to ADAT, fer example, you can easily assign your incoming signals to 8 recording channels.

Message 8/15             01-Sep-98  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

rouge

Cooooooolllllll business!

Wheres this deal going?
I'm gonna get it if you don't!

Message 9/15             01-Sep-98  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

rouge

Rebirth is pissing me off

Message 10/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

Hi,

the VLZ has semiparametic mids and XLR Connectors,
also the famous "vlz" circuits out of the 8 bus desks !

Holger

PS: i think i can remember that the non-VLZ has just
4 AUX sends and the other one 6

but: the old one you can get very very cheap now
(2nd Hand)

Message 11/15             02-Sep-98  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

buggo

well too late rouge...he already shipped it this morning! he he...

and the cool thing i just figured out about FX sends is that I can use my old spring reverb unit now!! it's just the unit, with no wet/dry knob, and the aux loop will do that!! yippee!!

Skul: yeh, it adds flexibility but also drives the price up....but I'm happy because the most mics I will ever use will not total more than 8...

One thing: in order to get stereo output from a synth, it looks as though I have to use 2 channels and pan them hard right/left...seems a bit fishy to me...Actually I'm just guessing tho...all i know is it only has 16 mono inputs...

but in any case, I WANT MY TX81Z!!! It should be here by now; maybe tomorrow...yeeeaaaahhhh....

another thing: skul: you say it has 4 submixes? well i have the brochure for the 1604vlz and it sez under the "what's new" section (improvements off the old 1604) that it now has 4 submix faders...i thought the old one had this too?

Message 12/15             02-Sep-98  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

srend2

Can someone please explain to me why Alesis just released a 4 bus board with switchable mic/line inputs and Mackie refuses to catch on. I know there isn't a person here who would say they enjoy repatching between takes.......

Message 13/15             02-Sep-98  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

skul

considering that it's an extra 8 mic preamps, i don't think it drives the price up that much. i bought my VLZ cos i wanted swept mids and some of the other niceties, as well as for the deal i got on it. but i think if you were looking at both units brand new, the price difference is only a couple hundred bucks.

for stereo out from a synth, using two channels panned hard left and right is really the way to go. in some ways it's better than using a stereo in, cos you can adjust the input gain in case one of your synth outputs ain't quite as loud as the other. also, you can do things like shrinking the stereo image by bringing the pans back a little (i've done this with drums to give a bit more "room" at the extremes for guitars).

as far as submixes... hmm, sounds like the original musta only had two faders - one for subs 1-2, and the other for 3-4. if that's the case, i don't think you'll find it a problem - just a matter of adjusting at the input faders.

as far as Alesis goes, i sincerely hope that they have made some major improvements on their mixer line. i had an old 1622 briefly, and it was an absolute piece of shit! plasticy, noisey, and far from smooth. the specs and pics look OK on the newer stuff, but anyone considering buying one should absolutely try it out first - listen carefully to it, check the fader and knob movements, and see if you like the layout (i.e. is it intuitive enough for you).

the separate record outs is a good idea, and it looks like Yamaha has caught onto this already with their ProMix 01V, so i think Mackie won't be too far behind.

Message 14/15             02-Sep-98  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

rouge

Don't be frightened - the threads are fucked up!

Well Buggo, its funny you should ask that ... I actually make Cocaine/Carck/Heroine myself and cut out the middle man and sell to those babies myself making huge profits in the process. I actually found the instructions on the Net!

I hope you're still at skool - taking interest in your Science lessons because its quite a complicated procedure to make this stuff.

Now I'm a millionaire I bought Abbey Studios so I could produce the wonderful works of a band called Aqua. You probably haven't heard of them in the US....

Message 15/15             03-Sep-98  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: diff. b/w cr1604 and 1604vlz...sort of urgent

buggo

ha ha....aqua....what a fuckin terrible group...!!

i'm numb from the neck up as i just returned from the dentist. I am now going to go put my tongue in a vise to see if I can feel it.

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)