aaa How do you all do your drums in cakewalk? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             31-Aug-98  @  03:33 PM   -   How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Randy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Do you just loop a bar. use the keyboard to do hihats, snares, and kicks on
different channels then quantize each channel they way you want??
Or do you use a totally different program. Is there a good midi drum program
out there. Something like the drumz wizard??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             31-Aug-98  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

99devils

I use Encore for sequencing (it's a shitty sequencer), but it allows me to write in standard notation... I just do my drums like any other instrument... I write in the parts. The easiest way, if you have complex parts, is to do each drum on a seperate staff/channel, then combine the channels afterward.

-Craig

Message 3/15             31-Aug-98  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Will

I would definately try to put each drum on its own track, cause it saves from having to cock about in the piano roll every time your beat needs a bit of a change. Then you can build up the drums by looping each section of drum hits where you want them. I personally think that its more rewarding and a better way of working to draw the notes in the piano roll rather than playing them by the keyboard.

Message 4/15             01-Sep-98  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

bill

Link?:  Link

plus if you put your drum parts on different tracks you can fiddle with individual note velocities of each drum without fucking upi the volume of the others....in cakewalk that is.....

Message 5/15             01-Sep-98  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Roller8

I just loop a blank part of a track, say 4 or 8 bars. Then I record all the parts in realtime that way I get the best feel. Then quatize it loosely, say 40% or so with about a 60% swing. Or you can use a favorite DNA groove template, but also fairly loose, say about 60 to 80%. Then use the drumsplit CAL script which will quickly put each drum sound on a different track. Now you can micro tweak each track seperately.

Now comes the fun........you can cut, drag, paste, loop, mute and unmute each drum sound as needed to start building your drums in a remix style fashion, kinda like ACID but it's you're own original shit.

I hope this helps.....if you don't have that CAL script or need some DNA grooves posted let me know. I'll try to email what you need.

Message 6/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

I use fruitloops then export it to a standard midi file.
I find it faster and easier than creating them in cakewalk.

Message 7/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Message 8/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Message 9/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Message 10/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Cake sucks, dosenīt it ?

Message 11/15             01-Sep-98  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Message 12/15             01-Sep-98  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Roller8

If you use the CAL to split the drums after the fact, then it's easy because you just program all your drums to one track all at one time. As cakewalk loops just add another sound on top never stopping the record button. After you have quantized or whatever then use the CAL to split them and you have a different sound per track in about a second. It's really sweet.

Message 13/15             02-Sep-98  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

bill

Link?:  Link

i've always been wary of using the dna groove template things - they seem a bit of an unknown property. but if you reckon they're worth playing with then posting a few would be wicked. and the notesplit cal thing - does that come with cakewalk?

will

Message 14/15             02-Sep-98  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

fuzzycat_69

The DNA grooves are quite a good laugh.. You should try this..

When you have fine tuned a rythm (you know when you spend ages with the velocities and dragging notes around without the snap to grid on),

highlight your edited pattern and copy it
highlight the pattern you want to apply your groove to
goto the groove quantise window
If you click on ok straight away the groove in the clipboard will be applied to the new pattern.. Or you can type a name in and save your groove pattern for future reference.
I usually program my grooves with the hi-hats or snares then I'll apply these to the bass and other stuff to see if it works on them.
The cakewalk site has a load of other CAL routines - try the random notes and random velocity routines.

http://www.cakewalk.com/download/index.html

Richie

Message 15/15             02-Sep-98  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: How do you all do your drums in cakewalk?

Roller8

That CAL routine is either DRUMSPLIT or SPLITNOTES. Both will work. I believe SPLIT NOTES came with Cakewalk. Check it out.

So if I wanted to post some DNA grooves, how and where would I post them?

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)