aaa Wanting to buy a mic... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Wanting to buy a mic...

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             01-Feb-04  @  12:17 PM   -   Wanting to buy a mic...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking to buy a microphone this week and I haven't got the foggiest idea of what I should be looking for. It is just going to be used in my home studio, which is basically a lounge-room with some kit in it, and will mainly be used for my vocoders and also the occasional recording of some of my friends who are into making hip-hop and want to record some rapping.

I'm not after anything too flash, just something that will be passable for home-studio recordings. I remember reading an article here about how mics are getting cheaper and K reviewed what looked like quite a good mic that cost something like £50 or £80 or something. If it is right for my needs, this is kind of what I am after (sub - £100 if possible), but as I said, I haven't got a clue here.

Any suggestions?

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             01-Feb-04  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

milan

Link?: Link

^^^ *cough* ^^^^

probably any one of those condenser types will do you right.
you got a desk with phantom power, right?

Message 3/15             01-Feb-04  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

damballah

a shure sm-57 is never a bad mic to start out with. even after you get a collection of other ones, you'll still be using it. it's what's known as a dynamic mic and can be used on a variety of instruments and vocals. regularly go for 79 US$, can be had second-hand for much less because they're plentiful.

k's review is of a t-bone mic. it sounds like it might come from the same chinese factory as MXL Marshall and Studio Projects which is turning out some pretty good large diaphragm condensors for not a lot of loot. condensors require phantom power, and the large diaphragm ones are taylored to voice. they're side addressed and extremely sensitive so you'd need a stand and a pop blocker (one of those pantyhose around a hoop things). these chinese-made ones start around 69 US but honestly some of the sub-100 US$ ones sound like crap. I got one of the studio projects tube models from the friendly folks at www.jrrshop.com who used to come around here, but I'm sure being in the UK you could score a t-bone from the DT store.

Message 4/15             01-Feb-04  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Steve Roughley

Yeah, my mixer has an extra power-switch marked Phantom, so I imagine thats it.

Steve.

Message 5/15             01-Feb-04  @  12:57 PM     Edit: 01-Feb-04  |  01:03 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Steve Roughley

OK. That Shure SM57 looks good. Though, after looking through the Digital Village and DT lists of mics, I am wondering if there anything cheaper that will do the job for me just as well? This is going to be more of a functional tool than a major addition to my setup.

Steve.

Message 6/15             01-Feb-04  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Moujik

Link?:  Link

Steve - I bought a T-Bone SC-400 from the DT shop, for more or less the same purposes as you..... I had/have bascially no clue about mic technique, but have managed to get pretty good, usable recordings.

I think for under £50 you can't really go wrong on this one. Obviously you have to add delivery onto this, probably a stand and you _will_ need a popshield for any vocal recordings....

But anyway, like I said I don't think you'd be going far wrong with one of these.

Message 7/15             01-Feb-04  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Steve Roughley

Cheers. That is what I am gonna go for. I have chosen the following:

k&m | 27105 - Stand
the t.bone | sc 400 - Mic
the t.bone | ms 180 - Pop Shield

These should all fit together right?

Steve.

Message 8/15             01-Feb-04  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

milan

aye... and k&m stands are pretty solid, good choice.

Message 9/15             01-Feb-04  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Steve Roughley

Coolio. Cheers for the help guys.

Steve.

Message 10/15             02-Feb-04  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Dingostema

Just used our T-bone SC400 for the first time, straight into the desk and we have been really quite impressed, for what was just over £100 for mic, shockmount, boom and pop shield I dont think you can go far wrong.

Dingo

Message 11/15             02-Feb-04  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Tom

shure SM57 is what I use. Got it used on ebay for something like 100 bucks.
It really sounds quite good, if you're singing from up close (1 to 2 inches away).
It probably better to buy a good dynamic than a cheap ass condenser.

Tom

Message 12/15             02-Feb-04  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Dingostema

Until recently I would have agreed with Tom. We have been using our trusty SM58 for some time now and only really decided to try the T-Bone mics on reading K's review. It would seem that you 'can' now find pretty good condenser mics at a really good price. Now, I aint saying that those T-bone's will sound like a Neumann (not that i've ever used one), but they are seriously worth considering.

Dingo

Message 13/15             02-Feb-04  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Tom

That's true. You can buy decent condensers for cheap now. But still, there might be uses where a dynamic mic will sound better than condenser. It all really depends on the situation. Anyho, the sm57 has been around for some 30 years, and tried and tested. You can abuse it, step on it, throw it, spit in it, and it will still work, probably not the case with some of these condernsers.

Tom

Message 14/15             03-Feb-04  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

k

yeah, the only downside of a phantom power mic is that of course... it needs phantom power.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/15             03-Feb-04  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Dingostema

Thats true, but even my el cheapo Beringher mixer did a reasonable job with that T-Bone

Dingo

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)