aaa Wanting to buy a mic... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Wanting to buy a mic...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 01-Feb-04  @  12:17 PM   -   Wanting to buy a mic...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking to buy a microphone this week and I haven't got the foggiest idea of what I should be looking for. It is just going to be used in my home studio, which is basically a lounge-room with some kit in it, and will mainly be used for my vocoders and also the occasional recording of some of my friends who are into making hip-hop and want to record some rapping.

I'm not after anything too flash, just something that will be passable for home-studio recordings. I remember reading an article here about how mics are getting cheaper and K reviewed what looked like quite a good mic that cost something like £50 or £80 or something. If it is right for my needs, this is kind of what I am after (sub - £100 if possible), but as I said, I haven't got a clue here.

Any suggestions?

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/15             02-Feb-04  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Tom

shure SM57 is what I use. Got it used on ebay for something like 100 bucks.
It really sounds quite good, if you're singing from up close (1 to 2 inches away).
It probably better to buy a good dynamic than a cheap ass condenser.

Tom

Message 12/15             02-Feb-04  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Dingostema

Link?:  Link

Until recently I would have agreed with Tom. We have been using our trusty SM58 for some time now and only really decided to try the T-Bone mics on reading K's review. It would seem that you 'can' now find pretty good condenser mics at a really good price. Now, I aint saying that those T-bone's will sound like a Neumann (not that i've ever used one), but they are seriously worth considering.

Dingo

Message 13/15             02-Feb-04  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Tom

That's true. You can buy decent condensers for cheap now. But still, there might be uses where a dynamic mic will sound better than condenser. It all really depends on the situation. Anyho, the sm57 has been around for some 30 years, and tried and tested. You can abuse it, step on it, throw it, spit in it, and it will still work, probably not the case with some of these condernsers.

Tom

Message 14/15             03-Feb-04  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

k

yeah, the only downside of a phantom power mic is that of course... it needs phantom power.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/15             03-Feb-04  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Wanting to buy a mic...

Dingostema

Thats true, but even my el cheapo Beringher mixer did a reasonable job with that T-Bone

Dingo

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)