aaa IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             05-Oct-98  @  06:43 PM   -   IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Noble

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm trying to figure out whether to get an IDE or SCSI cd burner.
Does software like soundforge cd architecture support IDE burners?
Do most audio mastering applications support SCSI.
Does anyone know of an IDE cd burner thats supported by soundforge??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             05-Oct-98  @  09:30 PM   -   NO NO NO

rouge

If you've got SCSI then GET SCSI.
I've got IDE and CD Architect is NOT supported by IDE CDR's. Soundforge won't even recognise it! Same with Wavelab. Case Solved.

Message 3/16             05-Oct-98  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Xanthos

I have the ricoh ide cd-rw and it rulez. It is a 2x2x6.
It is wicked, flawless for burning audio cds (never tride the cdrw part though).
Man, soundforge and wavelab are wicked and all...but you don't need them for burning cds. Easy cd creator will due just fine.
The only drawback to IDE is that you shouldnot "surf the net" or "enter data into your favourite spreadsheet" when you are burning. Just leave it be until it's done.

SCSI is faster and you can probably play unreal while you're burning cds w/o probs but if you don't have a scsi system, it will cost you a small fortune to get it hooked up in an ide computer.

Anyhow.........i guess that's all i can say.....

Xanthos

Message 4/16             05-Oct-98  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Xanthos

I have the ricoh ide cd-rw and it rulez. It is a 2x2x6.
It is wicked, flawless for burning audio cds (never tried the cdrw part though).I have burned a ton of cds already.
Man, soundforge and wavelab are wicked and all...but you don't need them for burning cds. Easy cd creator will due just fine.
The only drawback to IDE is that you shouldnot "surf the net" or "enter data into your favourite spreadsheet" when you are burning. Just leave it be until it's done.

SCSI is faster and you can probably play unreal while you're burning cds w/o probs but if you don't have a scsi system, it will cost you a small fortune to get it hooked up in an ide computer.

Anyhow.........i guess that's all i can say.....

Xanthos

Message 5/16             05-Oct-98  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Noble

I just went to sfoundry.com and they the newest cd archeticture does now support ide.
but I ain't payin for that. I thought I needed soundforge but you all told me i didn't.
So I just master the mix in soundforge, save the wav file and use some other software that
supports ide burners to put it on the cd. sounds ok.

Message 6/16             06-Oct-98  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

rouge

Have u got a SCSI card?
Its true, you can make the master in Soundforge and once you've created a couple of .wav files then u can burn any wav files to CD in audio format.

Message 7/16             08-Oct-98  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Kobalt

it will cost you a small fortune to get it hooked up in an ide
computer.

A small fortune?? Is this true. I thought all someone would need would be a scsi card
and a scsi drive. How much a decent scsi card??. I heard many people saying
stay away from ide for cd burning. I don't know if they know what the hell they're talking
about. SCSI might be faster but how much, is it really so much faster. But if scsi is really
not that much faster i would say go for the ide since it will be a little easier to install.
If you don't have a scsi card and you're thinking about getting a sampler than maybe you
should get the IDE , i don't know. But, can you do that ? sampler, and cd buner same card??

Message 8/16             09-Oct-98  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Dorian

SCSI is the answer. There is no alternative unless you want to end up with a pile of silve/blue drink
coasters. IDE is just too slow to be effective wich can cause buffer underum problems. If you are serious about an efficient burning rig for your PC get yourself an Adaptec PCI SCSI card. Also you might like to think about picking up a cheap SCSI HD like a Quantum Fireball, one about 2 gig should suffice, to act as your ISO image file or prepared wav file storage space. It may sound like a bit of an outlay but its better then ending up with a bunch of shiny things from dud burns.

TDK blue disks are better then Kodak Golds IMHO. And "special Audio" blank cd's are not worth the extra cost.

Cheers

Message 9/16             09-Oct-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Fingers

the only discs I ever had trouble with was Maxell. I use a scsi cd burner. yamaha 2x no problems writing audio or data.

Im looking for a cheap scsi card for home to do cd burning. data transfer at 2x speed isnt that high so I reckon I dont need that high a spec card...anyone know of one I could get cheap...does it have to be PCI or would an ISA card do?

Message 10/16             09-Oct-98  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

rouge

My Philips IDE is okay - you just shouldn't do anything else while burning. If you get SCSI - make sure you get an Adaptec PCI card - about £100 UK. And make sure you've got the avaliable space/IRQ.

Message 11/16             09-Oct-98  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Noble

ROGUE , How long does it take to burn , is it like hours???
So for scsi, I would need a scsi, card and hardrive , and of course the burner.
Now thats alot, that hardrive.... Does everyone with SCSI have a scsi hardrive too?
If you don't get a SCSI harddrive what will happen to you?

And those of you with IDE, have you experienced any problems??

Message 12/16             10-Oct-98  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

rouge

mine is 2x2x6 which means it can record an audio CD in half the time it would take to normally burn it (like high-speed dubbing). For SCSI you would need just the SCSI card and the burner. I quite sure there would not be any need for a SCSI hard-drive but don't quote me on that.

Message 13/16             11-Oct-98  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

carles

It will NOT happen nothing if you dont have a SCSI hd while using SCSI cdr .
A good configuration will improve a lot your hd performance on multitracking .
I have no luck with my SCSI2 hd configuration thought my UDMA is better configured it works well (I dont know what I have done badly in the SCSI config at the moment).
Regarding cdrw I have (and many ppl) NEVER used , expensive media . A 2x cd burner will fill a cd in 30-45 minutes .

Dont be shy to ask resellers and tech support if you have problems , many ppl IS . Anyway lots of tech support at least in spain dont know more than you .

Message 14/16             11-Oct-98  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Urgh?

Message 15/16             26-Oct-98  @  07:18 AM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

bcase

I use three NCR-based SCSI cards--two 875-based (Diamond Fireport 40)
and one 825-based--and they are great and MUCH MUCH cheaper than
the over-priced Adaptec UW cards. You can get a Diamond FP-40 for
around $70 if you look, and frankly, that's overpriced. But, this does not
include cables. Still, compared to Adaptec... BTW, I use the FP-40
with a Quantum UW 9.1G drive and a Yamaha 4x2x6 CDRW; works well
with EasyCD Creator.

Message 16/16             26-Oct-98  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: IDE or SCSI cd burner? is IDE supported?

Ferg

My brother-in-law just bought a pile of Philips CD Burners which he is selling for $350. They're 2x write/6x read AND THEY COME WITH A SCSI CARD. Not ultra-wide but if you're looking to get into CD burning it's the right product. I'll get the product# asap.
Ferg

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)