aaa i hate to ask, but... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: i hate to ask, but...

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             24-Sep-98  @  01:21 AM   -   i hate to ask, but...

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

...since the tx81z thingy fell through, and hilevelt was ragging on me about getting it anyway, what do you all think would be the best FM module to get assuming it's the only FM synth i'll have and i would like some multitimbrality? (not essential, but would be nice.) and i'm mostly gonna use it for bass.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             24-Sep-98  @  02:30 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

xoxos

Link?:  Link

never used an fm synth, but was it here or elsewhere i was reading how eno always goes back to the dx7?

xoxos.

Message 3/16             24-Sep-98  @  02:31 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

xoxos

admit it. you don't, really...

xoxos.

Message 4/16             24-Sep-98  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

buggo

eugh. i fucking hate ambient.

Message 5/16             24-Sep-98  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

influx

Bug-why give up? if you really want a TX, find one...theyre all over...but be patient...
Youcould go for an FB01, too, which I think is just a smaller TX(?) with less presets (which most of which on the TX are pretty useless for your stuff anyway). check it out.

Message 6/16             24-Sep-98  @  07:30 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

buggo

well the guy called back and tells me he got the package and put it in the mail back to me...dumb shit, i told him not to...if it does get here, i'm so fucking sick of messing with it i'll pay the $125 and the shipping and have done with it.

Message 7/16             24-Sep-98  @  12:19 PM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

kilo

buggo... all i can say is... it does (FM) more than bass..... even at 2 hard house & trance gigs i've been to in the last week, there was mucho fm in there.... other poular sounds are... the mallet sounds, organs, fm percussion , the guitar-like sound... solid bass (and pitched up to midrange scales)...some of the rubber bass sounds etc etc.......

Message 8/16             24-Sep-98  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

nomad

one other one to consider (if you can get over the,
err, non-yamaha content) is the casio vz10m...i should
be getting one very soon. honestly, i never did much
with my tx81z (i hardly even turn it on, and i really
don't have that much stuff...)

first of all, it's 8 operator - that's more than
even the dx series! each operator can be 1 of 8
waveforms, i think there is sine, some tri/saws,
and some noise waveforms. they are split further
into pairs, each pair can phase modulate, ring modulate,
or mix with other pairs. i think the algorithms are
totally flexible as well. very powerful, more so than
even the dx-7 i would think. and, very similar to fm
from what i've heard....

it's digital, but much more "crisp" than anything
i've heard out of a tx81z...a friend has a vz8m (the
smaller version), and i heard some incredible sounds
come out of there, not just fm basses and weird
digital noises, but some normal stuff as well. the 10m
has a large LCD screen so you can SEE your envelopes,
etc. i think they might even have XLR outs....
it's 16 voice and 16 way multitimbral i think...(8m
half of both).

another possibility....these go real cheap because
of the "casio".....

Message 9/16             24-Sep-98  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

kilo

absolutely... the pahse distortion stuff they did was great... i mean casio by rights should have really done well, they were ahead of the feild in the early 80's... but the marketing was utter shite...... shame that... the cz101 & cz1000 are great cheap synths and controller in one... the cz101 particularly has 4 part multi max (using 1 osc' per voice - or 2 part using 2x2 etc).... and whilst small, like the basstation has large keys..... very handy portable and easy to find space for master keyboard cheap stylee.... thing about the fm is that there are those classic presets and sounds.... used already and so familiar to the punter... the dx100 has the biggest bunch of "I know that sound" presets....

Message 10/16             25-Sep-98  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

buggo

guitar stuff? that would be cool...can i get cool distorted industrial noises thru a distortion pedal or does it sound cack? (distortion's so fiddly that way...either it works perfect or it sounds shite...quite odd...)

Message 11/16             25-Sep-98  @  07:59 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

Hilevelt

Nomad, keep us up-to-date w/ that vz10m, it's something I've always been interested in! At the sub-$200 price tag they always sell for, it's the most professional-LOOKING synth you can get for the money =).

The dx100 is also a lot easier to edit than tx81z's.

Message 12/16             25-Sep-98  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

ivan

The VZ-10m is cool. I have a VZ-1 as a master keyboard, and it's the same synth, only with keyboard. It can make some heavy basses and analogish pads and sweeps. And you get enough e-pianos to last a lifetime...

However, there aren't that many good patches around, so you'll have to make your own. In some ways it's more flexible than a DX7, but in other less - PD always sounds somewhat similiar. But the blue screen is really cool along with all the nice red LEDs.

Message 13/16             25-Sep-98  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

nomad

(about pd always sounding the same)

well, yeah, that's kind of true for any synth. (except
my polaris...i'm constantly shocked at the weird stuff
that comes out of it, when i have time to play with
it..) people say the same things about junos, and they
have much less variety of sound....

(distortion)

distortion sounds very cool, WHEN applied correctly.
i get really bored of that barely-distorted, thin
juno lead sound (you all know the one). i have a proco
turbo rat, and with the volume all the way up, drive
up to 3:00 and filter about 9:00 it turns anything
you put into it into total shred, with feedback and
anything! it's great! i've heard a couple jungle songs
on the radio, and they use this on the drums a lot....
the rat is cheap, and sounds great...better than
most boss boxes....

Message 14/16             26-Sep-98  @  02:25 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

buggo

hmm....dunno about that thin barely distorted juno sound...i usually leave the tone and fuzz knobs all the way up and overdrive the signal into the pedal...fucking crazy hardcore distorted noises. It's odd though...the only way to get good sounds with distortion and filter cutoff twiddling etc it when you use pulsewave only and the pulsweidth is all the way at the top....thinnish sound when played raw but when you use unison mode it sounds fat as fuck through distortion...if you use the square, or the sub, at least with my distortion pedal you just get shitty sounds. with unison mode off, you get damn good 303 emulation.

just for the hell of it, i thought i'd post the url of a song i made using only the Juno, the fruity loops demo and Making Waves. it's my first real "dance" track ever; all my other stuff has been slower and more techno. I played bass loops by hand because i don't have a sequencer yet (grr) and all the lead stuff in the middle was played by hand so it's not exactly robotic like dance tracks usually are but it ain't bad. Liquid.mp3. (i hope it works...)

(oh and i figured out a cool way to make kickass stereo chorus is to duplicate a track in MW, pan one hard right and one hard left, and change the pitch on one very slightly...i'm sure it's been done before but though i'd bring it up.)

Message 15/16             26-Sep-98  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

buggo

oops. well maybe now it will work (uploading the right file helps!) hehe bug

Message 16/16             27-Sep-98  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: i hate to ask, but...

LFUX

Still no dice, bug...you suck!

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)