aaa New outfit.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New outfit....

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             04-Aug-98  @  10:03 AM   -   New outfit....

bill

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

a friend of mine just gave me 700quid to set him up for getting to gether some house and garage tracks - says he wants to reinvent the whole scene - so i said yeah, just give me the money and we'll see. so i've scoured loot and this is what i've come up with.....

atari ste with 4mb and cubase 3 for sequencing - 95ukp
yamaha fb01 for the dx/fm house/garage organs and basses - 49ukp
roland d110 for other more analog-y sounds and polyphony - 100ukp
emax sampler keyboard for drums and pads - 200ukp
mixer for the modules - about 80ukp right? (didn't check that one)

which is a total of 524ukp. for a setup that'll be adequate for quite a while. so i only need to check - can the emax function as the master keyboard? will it midi out as a controller? and it does map drum samples doesn't it? also, any replacements or ideas would be appreciated...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             04-Aug-98  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

Link?:  No link

JESUS !!!.... 200 quid for an emax !!!..... GET IT..... and make sure the atari has a monitor... at that price i'd say it doesnt..... There's a place in Kingston on Thames and at London bridge that do 3rd party atari monitors.... also check out System-Solutions in Dulwich for Atari monitors..... you get about 6-8 extra tracks visible on-screen on a non-atari monitor with cubase..... yes the emax can be a controller...... no aftertouch tho..... if you have a pc spare to link up you copuld sync in cool-edit or whatever for long vocal tracks.... the d110 is as good as anything ... surprisingly good analog-y sounds...... dunno if the emax will trigger hi-hats fast enuff.... should do, but hi-hats rob polyphony.... maybe try to and add a cheap drum box, with 909 hi-hats that can be adjusted for decay.... NB the decay of the hats is critical to the feel....... it's 909 all the way as the primary drums for house and garage... all in all a good starter..... dunno if he'll 're-invent the whole scene' tho !....

Message 3/16             04-Aug-98  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

hmmm. well, my heart kinda jumped when you shouted about the emax so i phoned him - i'm off to check it out tomorrow - he reckons that there's about 19 seconds of sampling on it - does that mean its upgraded or wnat? anyway, still worth 200quid you reckon? its an emax se.....

won't trigger the hihats fast enough? well, i guess i could loan the bloke my sr-16 for a while - would you say that the hats on that are ok (i know that they're not really 909-y at all, but you know, the best you can do and all that.....). i think i might just go out on a limb and buy the emax tho - he won't have the money for a month to buy it off me but then again, i reckon i'll be able to sell it for the same price....at least....and it'll give me a quick intro to using a proper sampler before i get the a3000.....

cool.....excited now. and you reckon the d110's a good idea?? its cheap and lots of outs....but someone said to avoid it - then again, the same bloke said that the fb01 would be the new 303 as well.....

Message 4/16             04-Aug-98  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

the SR is no good for garage or house hats, you cant get 909, and worse still, no decay control.....which is critical

well, the emax will give lots of sampling time if you mess with the sample rate but not 19 seconds at 48k top bandwidth.... no way.... unless he's got some weird upgraded ram model, which i never heard of... I was not aware that you could upgrade the ram on a standard emax SE... maybe you can, in which case, it sounds better !... . my mate has the d110... a bastard to edit so I'm told, but it is an excellent bit of kit for the dosh... and I've heard it do some very good widdley stuff plus more... and you get seperate outs.. it is a prime bit of cheap budget kit for sure.....

Message 5/16             04-Aug-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Fingers

may seem obvious but...don't forget the desk...outboard fx...

Message 6/16             04-Aug-98  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

yup. the "desk" is going to start off being a shitty little samson mixpad or something - 2 aux sends, two band eq.....and as far as fx goes, he's a guitarist so he has distortion, chorus and wah, and the reverb'll have to wait a bit.....mind you, he has reverb on his guitar amp, so he can always pump stuff through there and resample it.....

no bones about it though, its a cheap setup to start off with. but if he's any good with it he should be able to get something decent out of it....

as far as the 909 sounds go, it looks like a quick purchase of a sample cd and using the emax as a drumbox....can't see any other way to get those sounds. i almost envy the simplicity of this though - might have to set it up in my room for a wekk or two and mess with it before giving it all to him....

the fb01 will do a passable bass won't it?

Message 7/16             04-Aug-98  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

fb01 bass -- i'd say forget it unless you have an analogue filter to send it through -- I have one of these beasts and the 4 operator basses fall apart completely.

Message 8/16             04-Aug-98  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Hey kilo,

I thought you told me that the emax wasn't worth $400 american. Isn't that just slightly more than 200 quid?

-Chad-

Message 9/16             04-Aug-98  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Hilevelt

hehehe, reinvent the house/garage scene....

Message 10/16             05-Aug-98  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

yeah whoops...thought it was sterling... but then you guys are always on about how US dollars are the same as pounds for kit, plus all the peeps saying they got theirs for 200 or 275 or whatever... however now it is revealed the SE has 2mb... get it !!!

Message 11/16             05-Aug-98  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

er.... see, i figured that as US kit tends to be the same as UK kit pricewise but with the pound sign replaced with dollars... that'd make a new s2000 650........ so maybe a s/h one would be like 550-600..... In that case, i'd say get the S, IF you want a workhorse unit with big memory (although bear in mind it comes standard with only 2 outs....)..... but for creative stuff, the emax beats the S and as a drum & loop unit, cos of the seperate mono outs.... so er..... all in all, i think I'd go emax.... cos the output expander for the S is like 300-350 isnt it?... and that add's a big whak

Message 12/16             05-Aug-98  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

I was thinking of getting an emax to use additionaly as my master keyboard. Does it send velocity and aftertouch?

-C-

Message 13/16             06-Aug-98  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

woo-hoo. i got it, and its ugly, and i don't think its got a huge amount of memory (i might be wrong but it looks like its got 512k) but its my first ever time using a sampler - no manual either by the way (emax Se - if anyone can help out i'll pay you...) - and within half an hour i'd loaded a piano preset up and started sweeping cutoffs and varying lfos and the way it affects vibrato/tremelo/etc and then found the envelope (does anyone know what the H in AHDSR stands for? hold? what does it do?) and the filter envelope - couldn't check out all the panning stuff because i was playing in mono on a crsty old guitar amp but it sounded wicked staright away - found that 1000mm lens preset and fucked with that a bit - came with some 909 drums as well which i was messing with.

i've only touched it for half an hour (had to go and watch ally mcbeal after that...and then found that unfortunately there was no headphone slot) but i think i'm falling in love with it already - the mate i'm buying it for (though i don't know if i'm selling it on now) came to pick it up off this bloke in kilburn with me - you should have seen his face - first he looked appalled when he saw it (cos really, it is quite an ugly beast) and then when he heard it he got *well* excited - some disk called arco strings....

going to check it out tonight - so easy to sample as well - tried out the input by just sticking in a pair headphones and using them as a mic to get my mate saying "aah" - within 5 minutes we had it looping and doing weird stuff that i can only really describe as whooshy. love the filter section, haven't even touched the filter envelope yet. i love the way its all written on the front - even if it does look tacky as fuck it helps when you have no manual - which reminds me, if anyone could photocopy the manual i'd be well well grateful.

anyway. enough. i nearly called in sick just to stay at home with her. in retrospect i should have done....

Message 14/16             06-Aug-98  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

whoah !!... that 1000 MM lense is a wicked pad huh?... massive... try the cymbels disk.... there is a preset called Hoover & Joint Hoover.... you will recognise it from many ambient albums...... Kilburn huh?.... well, bell me up if you want a tutorial... my number is on the Email Kilo button... I'm in SW1..... i got some 909 & 808 kits and about 200 snares from 606, 707 to whatever....we can trade disks

Message 15/16             06-Aug-98  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Richie

Have you seen the music village advert in this months sound on sound ? They are selling behringer mx2804 mixing desks for 249ukp. Check out the behringer site for more info on this desk but briefly you get 8 mono channels, 6 stereo channels, 3 band eq on all channels and four aux sends. I guess that if you get a mixer for 80ukp you will probably outgrown it in about two months (like I did ;-) ), If you're friend is going to re-invent the scene then he should think about getting a mixer that will aid him in his quest not hinder him.
Also how about a second hand bass station keyboard for real analogue sounds and a small but capeable velocity sensitive keyboard 150-180ukp (ps, you CAN do more than just acid with one of these), Boss DR660 for your 909 808 sounds (stereo out and 2 individual outs) 200ukp. Get him a boss overdrive pedal as well, 25-30ukp second hand.

Lastly, I remember when I bought my first sampler an Akai s2000 (Sadly had to sell it to pay debts). I loved it as well but I don't think I've ever called any of my equipment "her", also what exactly would you have done if you had stayed home?.

Only kidding! ;-) (I missed work on monday and tuesday to play with my new an1x, so I know where you're coming from).

Richie

Message 16/16             06-Aug-98  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

kilo - i may well have to call you about a brief tutorial at some point - that'd be wicked. i'm going to sort through all the disks tonight and work out what i have and haven't got - because some of them have been formatted by the previous owner - you always raved about the emu library - i take it that that comes on a series of disks. i'm thinking of posting all the disks i have to the web anyway - is that going to be aprt of the new dancetech?

the mixer is the problem at the moment...i'll be thinking about that one. i don't really know if i should psas on the emax to my mate though - he's talking about reinventing the house/garage scene because "its not positive and upbeat enough" and "you can't dance to drum'n'bass in a good way so you have to slow it down" - whatever - and then he played me this appalling old-school-ish hardcore track and said it was kind of what he wanted to do. anyway.

he doesn't have a fucking clue about midi either - or sampling, or synthesis - i should charge him for the tutorials....or maybe kilo should, seeing as i'm printing out about 40 pages of dancetech to give to this guy to get somewhere near up-to-speed....

so kilo, i'll have a list of disks that i have and haven't got tomorrow....and trades would be cool....btw what are the midi controllers a and b? are they just two controller data things? like two numbers?

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)