aaa How do I get started? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How do I get started?

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             17-Feb-04  @  06:10 PM   -   How do I get started?

adambage

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

I'd like to know how to get started recording my own dance tracks! I have long been a follower of dance music and love the likes of BT & Chicane more than anything else but have no clue/idea how to get into creating my own tracks.

What gear would I need to buy? How much would it cost (realistically) to get started? Where do people get samples/sounds (beats & Bass Lines, etc.) from?

Sorry to be a pain and I realise it's probably not a particularly exciting topic for those people who are already expert at it but any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks and rock on!!

Adam...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             17-Feb-04  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

BluStudio

Link?: Link

thats a huge question ya just asked- one with a mountain of answers, most available thru search up top left there-

It really depends on so many factors- Do you have a fast computer? how much money are you prepared to shell out on a set-up? Have you any expercience atall of music techniques, at all? Biggest q just now is defo the Hardware setup v software one- look into that

If you have a fast comp and wanna do trancey dance stuff then 'reason 2.5' is a good alreounder featuring all the stuff youll need, ill cover a wee bit below...

to answer your q's directly tho-

"What gear would I need to buy?" -

Fast computer (fast pc or G4/5 mac)
Soundcard (so many to choose)
Sequencer (to sequence the stuff/information/play back) ***
Synth/s (to make the noises, various types Rom synths play samples, VA virtual analogues to tweak programme , and of course analogue older gear etc...)***
Sampler (also see SMAPLER! for playing back audio samples in yoursequencer)***
Mixer (to plug and mix it all together)***
Effects ( reverb/delay/compression etc.. stuff to effect the sound)***
Monitors/speakers (to hear the playback)

All above *** can now be used software only (just a computer/soundcard hooked up to a set of speakers- i.e Reason Or Cubase Sx wiring Vsti's/Vsts)

"How much would it cost (realistically) to get started?"

Cmon lets fuckin have it! How far you wanna go? 200 squid for reason will get you on the road to makijng songs if you have a good comp and soundcard - multiply that by about 10-20 to get to a good mix of hardware and software that will be great, in saying that money doesnt equal power directly tho, especially with software stuff coming out- read all ya can on that for sure

"Where do people get samples/sounds (beats & Bass Lines, etc.) from?"

Make/mangle them on the stuff above/ some borrow (from others loops/drum hits), some buy (sample cd's)- drums aside, id say most make em themselves tho

thats gotta give you about 20 or 30 keywords to have a peek on google/or here for
then ya might have a better idea of where ya want to head, go read all ya can!

blu

Message 3/16             17-Feb-04  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

lo

Read computermusic
A magazine dedicated to begginers in computer music

Message 4/16             17-Feb-04  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

L$

There's a lot of info on this site... read kilo's tutorials....search through the forums.

The important thing to realize is that CPU processing speeds are so fast now
that a PC can simulate almost all the music hardware from the past within software.
A middle of the road PC nowadays can have the power and routing capabilities that only
a top studio could have had just a few years back...

Basically you need a MIDI or USB keyboard, a decent soundcard, something like the
Audigy should be fine to begin with (or get a USB external one), a PC
(min 512MB RAM 2gig processor), and software....

Recommended sequencer software to start: Fruity Loops, Tracktion, free stuff on computer music cover CD....later you can move up to Sonar, Logic, Cubase.

Also do a search for 'plugins', these are the software versions of instruments and effects
that can be 'plugged in' to above programs. Effects are sometimes called VST's,
instruments VSTi's ... there's a ton of them on the internet...free and less free.
Usually though if you buy a sequencer it'll come with enough instrments/FX
to get you started.

But basically, you don't need much to get started, just building around a PC is
the cheapest way to go initially.

Message 5/16             17-Feb-04  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

craig

Wait. Stop. Don't buy anything.

Read Dancetech. Go back through the forums for a while. Read the articles and tutorials.

When you think you know what you're talking about, read a little more.

Then start looking for stuff to make music with  

Message 6/16             17-Feb-04  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

"Newbie", "advice", and "beginner" are words that, if entered into the search field located above left, will provide you with a wealth of information.

Message 7/16             18-Feb-04  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: How do I get started?

dingostema

Link?:  Link

Dont buy anthing at all until you do all the above. Dont become infected with a disease called 'Box fever' which makes you run out and get a loan and start buying loads of stuff that looks cool. As said before, also buy Computer music mag (and look at their website for tutorials), its a good starting point. I started with Acid DJ 2 which is a loop based program and that was a good intro for me, its kinda got me into the basic swing of things.

Dingo

Message 8/16             18-Feb-04  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

xoxos

better to catch 'freeware fever.' massiva went down.. what's a good free sequencer/vst host today? bidule?

hey, only just heard about this, but it looks good! dunno how buggy it is. it's free.

http://www.frieve.com

or search for free vst hosts

Message 9/16             18-Feb-04  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

Yeah, a computer is something you can use regardless. As far as software goes, a few years back there was this piece called Orion that K was going on about. Seems that it "worked a treat" and was free or close to it. As far as synths go, softsynths are the way to learn about synthesis with out buying a big expensive box. Most of them follow a standard architecture that is used in hardware so you can learn for free and when you do spend money on a box or other softsynths you will have an understanding of their workings AND what features matter to you within the context of the way you are starting to work.

Message 10/16             18-Feb-04  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

k

agreed - sadly for the hardware boys, a decent midrange PC will get you going and be PERFECTLY adequate to go all the way.

so - a decent pc, athlon 1800, 2000, 2400 etc are VERY powerful once you get up to 2ghz and above or P4 equivilents, but if you can choose, go for an athlon.

you CAN start with a cheap soundcard, however, the small investment for a decent cheap lo-latency stereo IN/OUT card is so worth it

so, a cheap asio/wdm soundcard such as hoontech 'dsp24/96 Value' package with the optional DB1 bracket for midi I/O - (NOTE: I/O = IN/OUT)

or the m-audio delta audiophile 24/96

EITHER IS JUST OVER THE 100 QUID MARK and will allow instant response when you click the mouse to input notes, hit play & stop and you can also play the s/w instruments from the keyboard in realtime!

then you need your HUB - Your host sequencer.... if you do NOT require to add vocals and record & edit long audio tracks then get the demo's of REASON or ORION or FRUITY-LOOPS & check them out

they all are powerful creative tools - software workstation basicaly - the s/w equivilent of a hardware unit from back in the day which would have a synth engine on-board for synth-sounds, a sampling facility on-board to add-in audio loops etc, and a sequencer to compose with.

or you can jump in the deeper end (those above ARE deep tho if you want to get deep), and get Logic Silver or Logic Gold or Cubase SX or SONAR3

I guess SX would be the cheapest/easiest balance because it is easy to get the basics, it can use a technology called: REWIRE, to link it up with Reason if you like to do that so that REASON provides all the instruments and Cubase does all the sequencing and audio - and you mix it all in cubase's s/w mixer

noAlso w with SX it's easy to do stuff like automation which was pure jokes in the previous older Cubase programme called 'VST'

However, I would say do NOT set your sights on trying to imitate the acts you like at the top of the tree in your favourite genre such as BT & Chicane... stick to the same genre range but look at artists you CAN copy, in that you wont be able to copy a huge lush sound without considerable expense - those guys can afford THE top reverbs and the rest to give them a hyper polished sound

so for example - do trance?... dont try to copy a pro-tools audio & mega plugins mixed/produced artist, go for more down-market trance, or rather, more underground ruffcut stuff and work towards learning to do the basics.

walk before you run

Once you get the swing of making the music of your choosen genre you can THEN look at improving your production skills and 'gloss'

walk before you can run - Nothing puts a beginner off like trying to do something and failing miserably.

so.... to advise further, we need to know

1. do you have PC already?

2. if yes, what's it's spec?

3. what OTHER gear do you have ? (yes, even your hi-fi bits etc)

Message 11/16             18-Feb-04  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

panama

might wanna goto a keyboard shop (Guitar Center) and play with the Korg Triton workstation. If you like and got the money - buy it. Everything can be done on it. You can easily expand off of it.

Message 12/16             19-Feb-04  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: My 'Spec'

adambage

Hi all,

First of all, thanks loads for the replies - it's awesome to have such a massive response and there's some really valuable help on here which I have noted!

In answer to K's questions - currently I have a 2yr old PC at home which has an Athlon 1.0GHz processor (can buy a more powerful one easy enough just ain't got round to it), 20 GB hard Drive, 256MB Ram! I also have a decent Hi-Fi set up made by Sony which has the usual CD, MD, Tape, Tuner & Aux gear on it!!

Cheers,

Adam..

Message 13/16             19-Feb-04  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

Download a demo of Orion.

Message 14/16             19-Feb-04  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

xoxos

i have an athlon 1.2g on an asus a7v133(-c) mobo.. 512m ram and a sony amp. as "a synthesist," i'd add some monitors, but the important thing with monitors is knowing "how they sound," so might not be a concern if you're familiar with what you've got.

i like to limit myself to the 1.2g processor ceiling in my songs.. oc you can 'bounce down,' ie. record output to eliminate cpu usage.. your setup should be kosher for most synthesis (i can generally run 16-24 synths at once, depending.. but there are a few special-interest synths that will knock your processor out in 1 go) and for all sampling apart from the newer massive libraries that cost thousands anyway.. hd are better fast, ie. 7200rpm

if i were you, the first thing i would do is d/l several free hosts.. sequencers/hosts are designed very differently, bias is more personal.. in addition to mentioned, check traktion (or however it's spelled) $50ish after free intro and lots of people seem to take to it.

once you've got an idea of which host you like, my suggestion is to get serious about your pc.. you can get major performance problems from system configuration, which can be oc affected by other programs on your system.. (ie. why i suggest exploring the s/w available before tweaking your system..)

as craig said, there are a bunch of pc tech articles here that walk you through system tweaks, so you're set.. k's articles cover a lot of ground, ie. room acoustics. with all the 'pro-quality' freeware these days it's less what you've got and more what you know....

Message 15/16             19-Feb-04  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

k

Link?:  Link

Yeah he's right, we get spoilt into wanting it ALL in realtime without having to bounce tracks down to audio. If you upgrade, simply buy a new board, cpu ram and another hard-drive - use your old bits to save costs

an upgrade could be as cheap as 200-250 quid to go up to a 2400 athlon or so with 1/2 gb ram.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/16             20-Feb-04  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: How do I get started?

Paleface

And then:

learn rhythm.

learn melody.

learn harmony.

repeat.

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)