aaa ex5r - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ex5r

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 07-Oct-98  @  09:31 AM   -   ex5r

mail

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Is it the best module/sampler on the market in its
price range

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             13-Oct-98  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: ex5r

kilo

this seems to be a rule tho in all-in-one units from whichever stable, which is why i bang on to newbies so much about seperates.... the trade offs.... and the overall 'same-ness' of the resulting mix.... they are tempting on spec/paper cos it seems you get alot.... but i think the alternatives are better and more vesatile....also, i'm concerned with build quality in the a3000 and asociated models now, the os while actaully able to deliver very good stuff, seems to be glitchy, especially in the disk and load/save dept... mate of mine's been thru 3 disk drive replacements, and other bugs with mis-reported disk sizes sample access problems accross formats etc.., and i agree with the guy above who said it wasnt ready for prime-time... .... another example of pre-ready hardware releasing we are now un-fortunately starting to see, as the hardware boys follow the s/w example of updates all the time... but in a hardware unit, it's worse cos sometimes the hardware isnt configured to well either..... these yammies here seem to be somehow almost there, but important niggles are there making you look twice.... shame, cos the sampler is awesome, never liked the ex much tho...

Message 12/16             20-Oct-98  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: ex5r

mail

Right, I'm back from Corfu and mucho tanned and confused
now. So the Yammy doesn't cut it, too many glitches and
smallprint drawbacks.
Bearing in mind I have a Mac Powerbook with Cubase and
Rebirth, a Roland A30 Controller and that I want to build
a solid system which will allow me large amounts of sonic
processing, realtime, be suitable for producing a wide
range of styles and with infinite room for expandability,
(but with little more than a grand in my pocket), can
anybody offer advice?
See I wanted to keep it simple so if I do get round to
playing live I don't have to lug Spaghetti fucking
Junction round with me everywhere I go. That's why I got
the Mac.... Aaaaaah I don't know, maybe I'll just head
back under my rock until some one invents a machine that
cuts the muck. Sometimes this shit leaves me cold as a
witches tit in a bra

Message 13/16             21-Oct-98  @  11:12 AM   -   RE: ex5r

Richie

Funny, if I'd read this lot before I bought my A3000 it probably would have made me hold back for a while... But I allready got it so... I aint had any major problems with mine.. I have one small problem with it and thats the fact that it'd handling of disks and directories ect is shite.. But on the othe hand I have found that this just forces you to plan how your disks (zip) are arranged beforehand.. As a result mine is very organised at the moment.. The separate outs have a lot less output level than I reckon is acceptable though (ok so thats two niggles). But then the amount of line level noise is still less than any analogue synth I have used so maybe this is just being picky... I will argue the toss for this machine until I'm blue in the face but that is because my previous experience of a sampler was an s2000 so this is a different league to me.. I want to hear what the s5000 s6000 sound like.. because if the filters were anything like the s2000 series I found that they were far too easy to overload...I'd have to drop the level of a sample right down to compensate which meant re-leveling all the other samples as well. The A3000 has lots of headroom for the filters which means you can make some serious resonance before any clipping occurs..

Anyway, this aint the thread so.....

Message 14/16             21-Oct-98  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: ex5r

SiuS

u got to give the gear some time to grow dudes, it's not going to be bug free in OS1.0 is it!?... like my AXR X witch had titfull of bugs.. it's had 3 upgrades in the last 8 moths and it still has "minor" glitces. two more upgrades or so and its solid,.. plus it's the meanest looking kit in the industry hehehe >) I'm learning to be patient

btw the su700 is alive. avalibe in des!?
http://www.yamaha.co.uk/synth/html/current/samplers/d_su700.htm.

the interface is looking good with that job grid to give u visual feedback of sampl&seq.

Message 15/16             21-Oct-98  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: ex5r

ok, so i sound like i'm anti this unit, but i'm not. it
was just advertised all wrong. it's a sound generator,
sot a sampler and that's that. think of it like a tritiy
with the prophesy board but don't think of it as any
miracle machine. that's all.

the smapler implemtation is _not_ an OS issue. the SCSI
speed will never really go above 50-60k per sec and that's
a fact.

I love the A3000, though -- I would tell everybody to
either get an S1000-S1100 w/ SCSI or an A3000 if they need
more. I

Message 16/16             21-Oct-98  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: ex5r

skul

i have to disagree with the statement "FDSP is not cool...". FDSP is totally cool. it's subtle, though - not in your face. i've created a number of patches that use it and it's by far my most favorite feature. like anything, you gotta tweak it until you find something really interesting.

of course, if you want to use more than one FDSP sound you gotta start resampling - and that's where things get a bit sketchy, i'll agree.

one of the really nice things about the EX stuff is the controllers. you can take selected FX parameters (or AN, or FDSP) and assign them to a controller. then it's, hit a note and start twisting knobs time...

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)