aaa Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 18-Aug-98  @  05:03 PM   -   Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - should I ??????????

Alex

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi falks ! THANKS KILO JUST FOR YOU ARE!!! NO,REALLY, THANKS !!!
I'm Alex. I need your assistance.
I am interested in techno sound for about three years. First I had Ensoniq ASR + midi keyboard, after Roland XP-50.
In the first case I got very week one (it had very boring operating system and no resonance), after - cool guy, but with a lack of bass drums and with too soft sound. The thing I need - is kinda synth/sampler with TOUGH sounding for about
2000$ with good drums, basses and possibility to create a song using only one machine / i mean, i could afford only one synth. What do you think? Is it possible? I was told a lot about K 2000. Should I buy it ? Or maybe better to get THE RAVEN or Yamaha EX 5 ? Need replies !!! Please !!! THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE !!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             01-Sep-98  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

hilliard

Kilo (and others):

I know you really dig the A3000 and all, but what is your opinion on the following:

We (production company) have a K2000 in our pile of gear. It does not, however, have the sample-option. We are looking at getting a new sampler (currently we only use an S-550 and an S-50 for sampling duties). We will need a unit that is superb in the timestretch area, mainly for remixes, and such, also for sampling submixed-background vocals, and flying them around a track, among other uses, too. Just wondering, since you have a K2000, yet still push the A3000 so much, what your thoughts are about getting the K2000 sample-upgrade vs just getting a dedicated rackmount piece (A3000, S2000, S3000XL, S-760, e6400, ESI-4000, etc). I have a feeling you're gonna tell me A3000 all the way, but maybe not, eh? Thanx.

Message 12/16             02-Sep-98  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

kilo

how about just getting a decent stereo soundcard and scsi'ing up the pc to the k2?...... sample/fx/stretch etc on the pc, and export

Message 13/16             02-Sep-98  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

dihm

I have an EX5, and if everything bug wise was worked out, it would do the best for an all in one at under $2000.00 .....but not yet...I am buying an Access Virus, and am looking at the MW11 and Kawai K5000, the latter two can get real weird, and that's cool. You do need a sampler for sure, those can be had for pretty cheap. The SN would be great, but might be out of your price ceiling with a sampler. You could pick up a 1.Virus and a Sampler for around $2000.00 2. a Waldorf MW11 around $900.00 3. Kawai K5000 $750.00-800.00......The EX5 is great as a controller, with 6 knobs, ribbon and breath controller 3 wheels, and a VERY COOL 4 track programmable Arpegiato, 76 keys and once you learn how to set-up the performances to work around the DSP restraints, your off and running, almost...the SCSI is very slow. I have decided to tough it out and keep my EX, but am adding to it I hope this helps
dihm

Message 14/16             02-Sep-98  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

Alex

Att. Dihm.....

you say you have EX5... please tell me what kinda bass
drums programming is there... Never heard yamaha sound...
are that drums deep ? What about TR kicks, offset HiHats,
claps, moogy sounds etc... Can I sample through the microphone ?... Just in short, if you can... Thanks so much !

Message 15/16             02-Sep-98  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

hilliard

A PC soundcard.....nah......we don't have a PC. The one I'm using to type this is a "day-job" machine (not available for the studio). We do use a Mac (w/Performer), but it's kinda old, and kinda whimpy.

Thanx for the suggestion, but for now we'll need either a standalone rackmount sampler or the sample-option for the K2000. So what's yer opinion?

Message 16/16             02-Sep-98  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: Dear Kilo !!! K2000 - to buy or not to buy ?

nomad

don't know how much the k2000 sampling upgrade is,
but you could also consider the peavey SX or SXII...it's
just a sampling front-end type thing i.e. it doesn't
PLAY samples, it just RECORDS them. it can then send
them to a sampler via SDS or, more useful for a K2000,
SMDI (scsi). usually they are less than $100, and
are supposedly pretty clean.

they were designed to be used with the Peavey SP
sample player. idea was that you might have more than one
sample player, but you probably only do sampling on
one of them. so you could get only one SX + multiple
SPs and have all the power without paying the equivalent
of multiple SXs in each sampler module. nice idea,
never caught on anywhere else though. in any case
these are supposed to work with K2000s....

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)