aaa How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 31-Jul-98  @  04:25 PM   -   How Do They do it? That ghetto chicago style

chad_mitchell

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have always wondered how all the relief records and records of that style get that warm but hollow kick and clap, as well as those full, well rounded synthlines. I'm talking Paul Johnson and Robert Armani type sounding shit. Green Velvet aka Cajmere, you all know what I'm talkin about.

I have heard many talk about distortion and compression, but that's not all. There are other elements there that I'm curious about. Lets get some opinions.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             04-Aug-98  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

noteven

i mean by double up two different Kiks, a little mid punchy kik ontop pf a deep lo fi kik , run to their own separated channels , also try putting a little reverb on the deep kik and pan it a bit, thats one way i got my 909 to sound punchier. Also for a some what ghetto sound try running all of your drum sounds into one channel (steve poindexter "work that mother fucker" recorded entirely on an RZ1...HAH...AMAZING TRAK TOO!!!)when all of your drum sounds are on one input when you EQ its very drastic giving an almost turntable through mixer type EQ sweeps, sometimes cool.

out...

Message 12/16             04-Aug-98  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

Fingers

closed hat mixed with kik can be pretty in yer face...heheh...cracky n bassy n nnnnnnn...

Message 13/16             04-Aug-98  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

chad_mitchell

Thanks for the Steve Poindexter tip- That track is a classic. Does anyone know how to convert kiks to 12 bit using Sound Forge?

-Chad-

Message 14/16             04-Aug-98  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

noteven

i dont know what this would be classified as (in bit form) but try getting some of your loops or sequences on cassette tape and then resample the from that with or without noise reduction...it works for me .

out...

Message 15/16             05-Aug-98  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

kilo

not in Soundforge... get the cool-edit demo... follow the instructions in the review page and the proggie will allow ONE process plus saving with each wave load..... free !!... it does it in EDIT/adjust sample rate

dunno if it'll give a classic old 12 bit sampler sound tho..... doubt it, but who knows

Message 16/16             05-Aug-98  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

Half decent EQ? But then again, if you're like me and can't afford to buy the latest semi-parametric eq to process one clap sound with, Have a look around some of the crappy junk shops for old 70's hi-fi graphic equalisers. Yes you might blow the thing up overdriving it, but that's half the fun.

Strangely enough I use mine on the kick drum and clap.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)