aaa New outfit.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New outfit....

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-Aug-98  @  10:03 AM   -   New outfit....

bill

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

a friend of mine just gave me 700quid to set him up for getting to gether some house and garage tracks - says he wants to reinvent the whole scene - so i said yeah, just give me the money and we'll see. so i've scoured loot and this is what i've come up with.....

atari ste with 4mb and cubase 3 for sequencing - 95ukp
yamaha fb01 for the dx/fm house/garage organs and basses - 49ukp
roland d110 for other more analog-y sounds and polyphony - 100ukp
emax sampler keyboard for drums and pads - 200ukp
mixer for the modules - about 80ukp right? (didn't check that one)

which is a total of 524ukp. for a setup that'll be adequate for quite a while. so i only need to check - can the emax function as the master keyboard? will it midi out as a controller? and it does map drum samples doesn't it? also, any replacements or ideas would be appreciated...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             05-Aug-98  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

Link?:  No link

er.... see, i figured that as US kit tends to be the same as UK kit pricewise but with the pound sign replaced with dollars... that'd make a new s2000 650........ so maybe a s/h one would be like 550-600..... In that case, i'd say get the S, IF you want a workhorse unit with big memory (although bear in mind it comes standard with only 2 outs....)..... but for creative stuff, the emax beats the S and as a drum & loop unit, cos of the seperate mono outs.... so er..... all in all, i think I'd go emax.... cos the output expander for the S is like 300-350 isnt it?... and that add's a big whak

Message 12/16             05-Aug-98  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

I was thinking of getting an emax to use additionaly as my master keyboard. Does it send velocity and aftertouch?

-C-

Message 13/16             06-Aug-98  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

woo-hoo. i got it, and its ugly, and i don't think its got a huge amount of memory (i might be wrong but it looks like its got 512k) but its my first ever time using a sampler - no manual either by the way (emax Se - if anyone can help out i'll pay you...) - and within half an hour i'd loaded a piano preset up and started sweeping cutoffs and varying lfos and the way it affects vibrato/tremelo/etc and then found the envelope (does anyone know what the H in AHDSR stands for? hold? what does it do?) and the filter envelope - couldn't check out all the panning stuff because i was playing in mono on a crsty old guitar amp but it sounded wicked staright away - found that 1000mm lens preset and fucked with that a bit - came with some 909 drums as well which i was messing with.

i've only touched it for half an hour (had to go and watch ally mcbeal after that...and then found that unfortunately there was no headphone slot) but i think i'm falling in love with it already - the mate i'm buying it for (though i don't know if i'm selling it on now) came to pick it up off this bloke in kilburn with me - you should have seen his face - first he looked appalled when he saw it (cos really, it is quite an ugly beast) and then when he heard it he got *well* excited - some disk called arco strings....

going to check it out tonight - so easy to sample as well - tried out the input by just sticking in a pair headphones and using them as a mic to get my mate saying "aah" - within 5 minutes we had it looping and doing weird stuff that i can only really describe as whooshy. love the filter section, haven't even touched the filter envelope yet. i love the way its all written on the front - even if it does look tacky as fuck it helps when you have no manual - which reminds me, if anyone could photocopy the manual i'd be well well grateful.

anyway. enough. i nearly called in sick just to stay at home with her. in retrospect i should have done....

Message 14/16             06-Aug-98  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

whoah !!... that 1000 MM lense is a wicked pad huh?... massive... try the cymbels disk.... there is a preset called Hoover & Joint Hoover.... you will recognise it from many ambient albums...... Kilburn huh?.... well, bell me up if you want a tutorial... my number is on the Email Kilo button... I'm in SW1..... i got some 909 & 808 kits and about 200 snares from 606, 707 to whatever....we can trade disks

Message 15/16             06-Aug-98  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Richie

Have you seen the music village advert in this months sound on sound ? They are selling behringer mx2804 mixing desks for 249ukp. Check out the behringer site for more info on this desk but briefly you get 8 mono channels, 6 stereo channels, 3 band eq on all channels and four aux sends. I guess that if you get a mixer for 80ukp you will probably outgrown it in about two months (like I did ;-) ), If you're friend is going to re-invent the scene then he should think about getting a mixer that will aid him in his quest not hinder him.
Also how about a second hand bass station keyboard for real analogue sounds and a small but capeable velocity sensitive keyboard 150-180ukp (ps, you CAN do more than just acid with one of these), Boss DR660 for your 909 808 sounds (stereo out and 2 individual outs) 200ukp. Get him a boss overdrive pedal as well, 25-30ukp second hand.

Lastly, I remember when I bought my first sampler an Akai s2000 (Sadly had to sell it to pay debts). I loved it as well but I don't think I've ever called any of my equipment "her", also what exactly would you have done if you had stayed home?.

Only kidding! ;-) (I missed work on monday and tuesday to play with my new an1x, so I know where you're coming from).

Richie

Message 16/16             06-Aug-98  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

kilo - i may well have to call you about a brief tutorial at some point - that'd be wicked. i'm going to sort through all the disks tonight and work out what i have and haven't got - because some of them have been formatted by the previous owner - you always raved about the emu library - i take it that that comes on a series of disks. i'm thinking of posting all the disks i have to the web anyway - is that going to be aprt of the new dancetech?

the mixer is the problem at the moment...i'll be thinking about that one. i don't really know if i should psas on the emax to my mate though - he's talking about reinventing the house/garage scene because "its not positive and upbeat enough" and "you can't dance to drum'n'bass in a good way so you have to slow it down" - whatever - and then he played me this appalling old-school-ish hardcore track and said it was kind of what he wanted to do. anyway.

he doesn't have a fucking clue about midi either - or sampling, or synthesis - i should charge him for the tutorials....or maybe kilo should, seeing as i'm printing out about 40 pages of dancetech to give to this guy to get somewhere near up-to-speed....

so kilo, i'll have a list of disks that i have and haven't got tomorrow....and trades would be cool....btw what are the midi controllers a and b? are they just two controller data things? like two numbers?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)