aaa How do you create tracks on a PC? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How do you create tracks on a PC?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 23-Jul-98  @  01:26 PM   -   How do you create tracks on a PC?

stephenb

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

My first experience of making music on a PC was with an early version of Cubase and a shitty soundblaster type card - I was hooked!

I now have a PII233,64mb,EWS64,basstation......and loads and loads of software. My problem is that I'm now spending more time on configuring this or that than I am on making music. I've given up on VST and I'm now trying the following method-

-Stomper & Hammerhead for drum parts
-Rebirth & Vaz for Bass & leads
-Cubase AV XL for recording midi synth parts as -audio
-wavelab for adding fx
-Making waves for arranging the song
-Cakewalk5 for fades, cutting up samples etc. and mixdown

I'd like to know what software people are using and what techniques they rely on for keeping it all creative rather than worrying about system prerolls and audio playback failed (for what fucking reason?) bullshit.

I've heard kilo praise cakewalk 5.0 in the past for being solid and wonder if it's time to turn my back on the software race and forget about plug ins and have it all wonder programs - at least until machine specs & operating sytems catch up anyway!

I know people are into different styles and have varied setups but basically, is there a simple but effective way to make tracks hassle free on a PC?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             24-Jul-98  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

galleyslave

Chad I can't believe you found PUMP tough to use? I guess it depends how advanced you want to get... but for a relatively simple setup (eg soundcard + few bits of hardware) its fairly easy. It's got the same drum style editing as Hammerhead how much easier to you want it? I'll admit though once you get a big song it can be a little bit messy... but it's only the 4th beta anyway so by the time its 'realeased' it should crank.

Anway...check out Kilo's Cakewalk7 thread... sounds like you can throw your Cubase out the window now anyway....

Message 12/16             24-Jul-98  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

buggo

as long as this thread is going, i might as well post a pet peeve of mine with MW...actually it's a major fuckin problem: when you break the sample lenth thingy down into like 16ths or 32nds, you can't just trigger a sample midway in the measure and have it play thru...well what i mean is that if you want a sample to trigger on the the 3rd 16th-note of the measure, you can have it do this, but MW cuts it off at the start of the 4th 16th note (beat 1 i suppose!) This makes really fuckin with samples kind of hard when you want to place a sample anywhere other than on beat 1....did they fix this in the new version? I'm thinking of buying it...(i'm using the demo and running the out of my soundcard back to the in with a 1/8" cable, which is fuckin LAME because you have to compose a song all in one sitting [no saving] and you get shitty sound quality too.)

If they've fixed this, sounds like the 50pounds or whatever they're charging ain't half bad!

Message 13/16             24-Jul-98  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

stephenb

As far as I can tell it's still the same. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?

Message 14/16             24-Jul-98  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

/\\/E/\/E

What is PUMP? Is it free? Where can I get it?

Message 15/16             24-Jul-98  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

Ferg

Re MW: isn't that what the "delay" feature is for?

Message 16/16             24-Jul-98  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

galleyslave

check here,

http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~sky/pump/

Its beta - you have to ask him for a key thing to save 'n stuff..

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)