aaa need soundcard advice - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: need soundcard advice

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             28-Dec-03  @  04:46 PM   -   need soundcard advice

Johnny.peebles

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I have purchased a new pc and will need a nice soundcard to go with it for music production.

I intend to run, Reason, Cubase, Acid, and a few Soft Synths and all the usual gear, but im not sure which sound card to go with. I have a budget of about £200
and it has to be good with the latency as i want to run a midi keyboard for the soft synths and shit, as well as good audio recording.

PC Specs are 256 mb ram ( to be upgraded to 516), 80 gig HD, and 2.0 ghz processor ( Intell celron )

Can anyone give us advice on what soundcards to go for?
At the moment i am running a Soundblaster live 256 card which has served me for past 4 years.

Cheers Johnny

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             28-Dec-03  @  05:15 PM     Edit: 28-Dec-03  |  05:15 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

BluStudio

oi polo-

post in da souncard forum bitch  

check - M-Audio range mate

dunno bout latency etc tho.......

blu

Message 3/17             28-Dec-03  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Johnny.peebles

thanks for the tip bitch. just get the cokes in theres a good lad

Message 4/17             28-Dec-03  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Influx

a)skip the celeron. why bother skimping? youre running an audio PC. get a better processor. if you want to save cash go AMD.

b)Id go 512mb MINIMUM on the ram, right off the bat.

c)to start out, just get yourself an M-Audio Audiophile or the ST-Audio entry level card. Stereo in and out, and midi IO (on the Audiophile..not sure about the ST Audio)

d)look over to the left there. we've got special rooms;)

Message 5/17             29-Dec-03  @  09:50 AM     Edit: 29-Dec-03  |  09:51 AM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

dARKSTATe

Seconded all of wot Influx said...

'cept the STAudio card is called the DSP24 Value Edition and you need to
get the optional daughterboard for the DIGI I/O AND the midi I/O

(Takes the total price for that to about £130ish mebbe less - but still cheap like the budgie!)

Extremely low latencies are acheived with both cards so runnin' what you outlined above will be a cinch!

Though why you'd wanna run "Reason, Cubase and Acid plus softsynths" when if you're on a limited budget, it'll be worth your while to get ONE of those as your main DAW software... still, I guess that's why you're limited budget on the soundcard hardware coz you'll be spending all yer dosh on the s/ware... right... RIGHT?!??

Message 6/17             29-Dec-03  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

BluStudio

he's actually one of my blustudio collab mates i pointed to the site for help marc, and yes, has the boxes to go with the software- older versions i think tho (vst etc)

ya really should just bite the bullet an skip the hassle of set-ups and buy my shit hot stable G4/001 johnny! ya know ya want to.......

blu

Message 7/17             29-Dec-03  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Influx

there ya go!

Message 8/17             29-Dec-03  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Tom

Link?:  No link

Yes you need the optional bracket for staudio dsp24 value to get midi and digital, but its dirt cheap.

The card works great btw, i've been running it for a while now and never had a problem.

Oh, staudio was acquired by these guys recently, http://www.esi-pro.com/, but hopefully that doesnt change the availability of these cards.

Tom

Message 9/17             29-Dec-03  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

k

Link?:  Link

ironicaly - most xp users arent actualy using their second level cache cos XP doesnt see it unless you tweak your registry (see PC-WARE section - PC TIPS & TRICKS) , so a celery wouldnt be particularly different

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/17             29-Dec-03  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Influx

for audio? floating point processors and all that?

I still say get an Athlon if you want to save money

Message 11/17             30-Dec-03  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Marc_D

Peace Blu... jus' curious that's all... coz, y'know.. with the new PC hardware yer man there is more than like gonna have to "upgrade" most of his audio software anyway (to take advantage of tweaks, fixes, etc.) and we all know unfortunately that upgrading isn't cheap...

(Can anyone say Cubase SX2 ???)  

Message 12/17             30-Dec-03  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

audiophile

You might consider a usb card by m audio. U could even use your soundblaster for a midi input and use usb unit for audio. Possibly a 24/96 would be good. Check out audiomidi.com or compumusic.com for product info. Best of luck.... Do a thorough search before u buy. l Lots of products to choose from.

Message 13/17             30-Dec-03  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

k

but what i mean is, one main difference with a Celeron is less L2 cache, but most XP users ARENT using their L2 cache anyways unles they write the tweak

Message 14/17             30-Dec-03  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Tom

I don't think it would make that much difference in performance to go celeron instead of full p4. But again, like some mentioned you can go for AMD athlon for the same price as celeron.

And using sblaster for midi? I duno about that, I tried it a long time ago with a sblive, and the midi timing was absolute crap. Maybe its better now, but still, why risk it.

Tom

Message 15/17             30-Dec-03  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Johnny.peebles

cheers for the advice guys.....

I have already purchased the PC Influx , and with the money i had to spend i just went for that processor coz obvoiusly i needed capital for the soundcard.

Darkstate, Cubase SX will be the daddy , Reason and all the rest will just be installed for playing about with purposes and they usefull for the odd sample here and there.

I think the M-Audio Audiophile USB, could be the winner. Saw superb reviews and the price is right.

Johnny

Message 16/17             30-Dec-03  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

Influx

nono no!

dont get the USB one, dude. serious. USB transfer rates arent fast enough

oh wait....youre just gonna be listening to 2 tracks etc....should be fine

Id still go with the PCI one

Message 17/17             30-Dec-03  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: need soundcard advice

digital rust

yeah, get the pci audiophile.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)