aaa how do I score? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: how do I score?

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             20-Oct-03  @  06:28 PM   -   how do I score?

the knowa

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

no, no, not like that, I mean scoring video.

my immediate goal is to add my music to some animation to be created by my man mr. medow

http://www.medow.com

but I'd like this to be the first of many such projects.

another part of my motivation in asking this question: a friend thought my music would be of interest to a company that is looking for "composers with a home studio that has the ability to sync audio and video" (from thier ad). I took the lack of specificity in the ad to indicate that they don't really care how you do it. Without trying to pass myself off as a multimedia veteran, I'd like to be able to respond to them with at least SOME ability to sync audio/video.

If I just want to add my music to digital video--not edit or create video myself--would something as simple as Acid 4 work ok?

Should I only consider more complex multimedia stuff e.g. Nuendo if I'm serious (I am)? By "serious" I mean I don't just want to add sound efx to home movies, but not that I need the "industry-standard", whatever that may be and mean.

obviously I don't know much about this so any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

(I will be working on Windows XP Home).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             20-Oct-03  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

beds

Link?:  Link

yay. i've done this quite a bit.

if you get the video on vhs get a cheap arse capture card and make sure there's burnt-in-time-code on it (BITC) (you'll have to use a video editing prog to get it back in sync if it's a long clip)

if you get it as flash then get them to save that out of flash as a movie - quicktime, avi whatever is possible.

if you gert it as dvd then you can rip that off the dvd. i've ended up having to encode as divx to get the file size down to something that my computer could handle (as well as running nice reverbs, vsti etc.) it's nice but not essential to have bitc on these but it'll be ok if you put a sync "beep" on a usefull bit at the begining of the video clip.

i used logic, not fantastic but definately useable (last thing i did was a 70 minute docu/film). if acid can play video then use that and see how it works. i'm thinking of getting nuendo or sonar for future use. anything i missed just fire away.

Message 3/17             20-Oct-03  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

the knowa

Link?:  No link

thanks beds very helpful.

sonic foundry site says Acid can import windows media video files. I dunno all the formats that video comes in but is converting from X format to Windows media video format akin to converting aiff to wav (i.e. maybe a PITA but no big deal)?

bedwyr forever.

Message 4/17             20-Oct-03  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

influx

link to this site? If you dont mind?

Message 5/17             20-Oct-03  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

k

same here, we use logic for lots of work, films & doc's

we get the guys to send us avi's and open 'em in logic's video window - ten just compose away - we tend to compose without vid, then edit to fit.

Message 6/17             21-Oct-03  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

beds

pita ??

you mac or pc these days knowa?

Message 7/17             21-Oct-03  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

psylichon

"PITA"= Pain In The Ass

"(I will be working on Windows XP Home). "= PC

There are tools available to convert to WMV, but are you sure that's all Acid can import?

You also have to consider delivery format... DVD?

That means more tools...

psy

Message 8/17             21-Oct-03  @  03:24 AM     Edit: 21-Oct-03  |  03:26 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

psylichon

check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com ^^^

Message 9/17             21-Oct-03  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

mcc>

a few of these majix audio-video makers for only 14 bucks.
might be worth a fun try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566477249&category=38091

Message 10/17             21-Oct-03  @  07:28 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

beds

delivery on cd everytime. .wav files or at a push audio cd (although i've turned up at one place where we had to use the office computer to get wavs off a cdrom - less of a problem these days though) first few times i delivered on dat but i wouldn't want to do that anymore - sync is perfect when you deliver wavs.

you're not excpected to sync up the audio/video yourself - dubbing studio does that when they turn your fantastic musical creation down so they can hear the shit "footsteps on stone floor" foley that the editor recorded in his bathroom on his day off.

Message 11/17             21-Oct-03  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

knowa

thanks for all the replies.

that's the link to the acid 4 page, influx. being so unfamiliar with video, I don't if it's missing some really essential functionality. elsewhere, people said SX is great for scoring.

beds: "you're not excpected to sync up the audio/video yourself".

but these people I'm being urged to get in touch with explicitly wrote they need composers with "the ability to sync audio and video".

maybe by this they just mean writing the music to match the video playing along in it's own window/lane/whatever but the musician doesn't have to worry about perfect sync of audio/video events; the dubbing house nudges the audio/video around until it's where they want it?

would that describe what's commonly expected of the score-writer?

thanks again. this seems fun.

Message 12/17             22-Oct-03  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

beds

"the ability to sync audio and video" is usually refered to as "write to picture" - i.e. they want you to write a soundtrack, not just a music track they will use in the animation. so yeah, you need to be able to sync when you're writing but when you deliver you will only deliver the audio. cd/wav is good because you don't have to worry about timecoded dats and all that shite. the syncing of your music to the picture at the edit/dubbing session is the dubbing editor's job. (wether this is the same guy who edited the video is a matter of cost/preference)

the dubbing house HATES having to jump individual bits of the music track around - they are the same ppl who put the foley/voiceover/etc. so they want to concentrate on the mix (on bigger than animation budget stuff they've already done the spot effects and voice sync nudging around nonsense before you get there)

video editors who also have the job of putting on the sound usually like editing the soundtrack - THIS IS BAD!

ways to impress animator/video editor/dubbing mixer -

- make a wicked soundtrack

err... that's it.

+ ask for a digitised copy of the film with bitc (sometimes pronounced bitsee),
provide a clear start point for your music/sounds - .wav starting at 10.00.00.00 on bitc is the best - otherwise just the first frame of non-black or significant cut.
make sure it stays in sync (rippable-cd/wav covers this if you write to 'properly' digitized version)
give the video editor an early copy of the soundtrack

ps - are we assuming animation is finished and your input is after? if the director wants to edit to picture you just provide a soundtrack and editor/director edit to your pace...

Message 13/17             22-Oct-03  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

Influx

knowa

that link doesnt work...

Message 14/17             22-Oct-03  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

k

we send our stuff off as music & seperate FX, sometimes we'll send seperate parts as files (drums, strings, pads, fx etc).... then it all goes to a dobly studio for final pro surround mixing.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/17             22-Oct-03  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: how do I score?

beds

we provided 4 stereo "stems" for the docu (dolby surround doodah) and if yeah if you doing fx too then have them seperate.

Message 16/17             22-Oct-03  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

milan

i just leared how to do the "dolby surround doodah" ! ask me something!

Message 17/17             22-Oct-03  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: how do I score?

knowa

thanks this helps a lot.

the animation project will be easy as he wants to animate to my tunes, but I'd like to learn how to do the reverse.

I guess you have to go through http://www.sonicfoundry.com to get to that page.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)