aaa mixer confusion - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: mixer confusion

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 13-Sep-98  @  04:32 AM   -   mixer confusion

buggo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

on my CR-1604, i'm kind of perplexed by a lot of the routing options...there's all the FX sends, plus a "5/6 Shift" button next to each of the aux sends 3 and 4...plus I'm not sure about how to really get the max from the routing options I do have...and the manual is totally cryptic and lame, shit, the promotional brochure told me more than the manual did!!!

if anyone has any experience with this mixer, lemme know; i could use the help!!

(by the way, I must say I think in terms of pure FEEL, i really like the old 1604 better than the new one...the faders are so fat and wonderful...on the new one they're all skinny to allow the bus routing options to be there...just a thought...)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             16-Sep-98  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

xoxos

Link?:  Link

don't know about cal, but in arizona, verbal contract is legally binding mate. (i can say that. raised in uk.)(this guy told you it was good? screw the fucker. (i just like saying that.)

xoxos.

Message 12/17             20-Sep-98  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

buggo

another question:

I've got stereo outs on the juno, and although I've just been using one channel on my mixer for it (thereby making it mono) I really love the stereo chorus, so I finally got some cables and hooked it up to 2 channels, panned hard right and left.

good, so now i've got my juno in stereo in the mix, but...I use distortion on the juno sometimes. I have a mono distortion pedal (aren't they all?) so obviously I can't run my stereo juno thru it...So when I'm playing a song with distortion, it's gonna be mono (which is fine, because who ever uses chorus and distortion at the same time?) But how do I set it up so all I have to do is hit the pedal and my signal is distorted and mono?

right now the setup is like this: i have the left output of the juno going into a channel dry, and the right output goes into another channel, through the pedal. So what I now have to do to get distortion is mute the left channel and pan the right channel back to the center, making one mono, distorted channel. (this way works fine, i guess, but...)

there's gotta be some better way to do this! any tips? i have no fucking clue how to use channel inserts; all i know is they have TRS jacks, and there are vague instructions on inserting the jack all the way, halfway, etc...how do channel inserts work and will they help me in this case? if not, what will?

(and aux sends are out, because as skul pointed out i'm not going to want a wet/dry distortion mix!!)

Message 13/17             21-Sep-98  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

nomad

that's pretty much the only way to do it...the way
you described. inserts don't help with panning or
volume, they're exactly that, "inserts". it's like
plugging the output of your juno into the distortion,
and then plugging the distortion into the board,
except it's more convenient.

you could use an aux if you've got an extra, that
way you could leave your pans alone, just mute the
two juno channels and un-mute the channel with
the return from the distortion (i'd use a channel,
not a return, if you've got an extra, because of
the eq)....

i do this often with my se-70, some patches (like
reverbs) sound good wet/dry, others (like the ones
designed for guitars) only sound good fully wet.
So then, you just mute the input channels and you're
good to go.

Oh yeah, don't use the mute button, use the channel
assigns...don't assign it anywhere. i don't know about
the mackie, but most sub-out boards allow you to assign
to 1/2, 3/4, and L/R. If you don't assign anything,
the channel isn't muted (if you mute, nothing will come
out of the aux sends either) but the aux sends still
work, and it goes nowhere else....

Message 14/17             21-Sep-98  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

skul

hrmm... that will probably work. i tried putting a pedal on an aux before and it was noisy as fuck, though. could just be that i wasn't paying attention to what i was doing...

ok, this is gonna sound crazy, but you could probably cable it such that both channel inserts are going into the pedal. you'd need some special connector-jobbies, or to make the cables themselves. the question is whether or not you'd want to. i mean, the solution you've already come up with is exactly what i'd do (it's the easiest way to go).

the problem is that pedals weren't exactly designed with mixing desks in mind, you know?

Message 15/17             21-Sep-98  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

buggo

yeh..but nomad...i have the old 1604, which doesn't have subgroups...bad luck...oh well, i guess either i do it this way or just put up with a juno in mono!

Message 16/17             21-Sep-98  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

nomad

there are a few "stereo distortion" pedals, at
least i've heard of a couple made by arion, dunno
anything about them...or you could just get two pedals
  although i can't imagine anything stereo about
distortion...better would be to turn the juno's chorus
off (that's all that's stereo about it anyway),
hang the distortion off of a mono output and put
a stereo chorus after that...i think it would
sound better....there's a rack chorus, the rce10 i think,
that sounded to me pretty much like the one in the juno
(i didn't have them at the same time, so i can't
say for sure), and they usually go cheap (there's one
for sale somewhere I saw for $30...)

Message 17/17             22-Sep-98  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

buggo

yeh, i want to go that route on effects...cheap rack jobs that are stereo and sound decent. nasty sounding is fine by me! (i have a mono chorus pedal that i got for 75 cents at the thrift store...sounds fuckin great!) and for the most part i don't really use the chorus on the Juno anyway, but on some patches, that stereo image sounds so FAT!!!! oh well i guess i can't really afford to use up 2 channels of my mixer on just 1 synth anyway during a live set, at least if it's like the one i'm going to be playing at next month...half DJing, half live playing, which means i'll use 6 inputs just for my 2 cd players and a tape deck...back to mono!! (i'm glad i have the 1604 and not the 1402 i was going to get!)

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)