aaa how does an oscillator work - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: how does an oscillator work

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 09-Sep-98  @  04:12 AM   -   how does an oscillator work

buggo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

A few questions...how does an analog oscillator work? i know it's some kind of electrical circuit that produces a fundamental tone, but i dont know how it does this....also theoretically why could you not have analog waveforms? if an analog oscillator can do a square or sawtooth wave, why can't it do something more complicated?

also, why the FUCK do companies bother with analog modelling? i can understand real-instrument modelling, for the lifelike realism...but real analog is surely much cheaper than emulating it with a chip! why bother?? seems like a serious case of fixing shite that ain't broke...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             11-Sep-98  @  03:37 AM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

xoxos

Link?:  Link

sadly, i got a nordlead because of it's lovely fm sound, but i've really given up trying to understand exactly how frequency modulation applies to this effect. it's described as 'deep linear' fm but balls all for whatever this means, it just is buzzy. my techie knowledge comes from sporadic delving.

hey buggo, why don't you just use two modules for the same sequence? same effect. unsynced but close envelopes can get some crazylike sounds.

xoxos.

Message 12/17             11-Sep-98  @  04:47 AM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

buggo

two modules for the same effect? on a juno? sorry don't have another $400...

on a tx81z one could surely do this though...no?

also, does the tx have individual outs for all 8 voices?

Message 13/17             11-Sep-98  @  05:17 AM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

xoxos

well then use a sample of one sound on yer emax for the same sequence as yer juno. just like you layer snares, layer timbres... evil wicked bad badness.

xoxos.

Message 14/17             11-Sep-98  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

bill

i thought that the tx81z had 8 outputs until i took it off the shelf and looked at it - it may have but they haven't all got jack outs - there's 2 jack outs (labelled I and II(mix) ) and a "cassette" out - which is like the old audio-standard that used leads a bit-like-midi-connections to connect up.....

so unless the cassette out handles 6 other out via a special interface i don't think it has. or else i just completely missed the other 6 outputs.....

anyway, i bought an fb01 in the end - still 8 part multitimbral but just with no onboard editing - have to use sysex.....

Message 15/17             11-Sep-98  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

kilo

nope....tx has stereo out...

Message 16/17             11-Sep-98  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

bill

yeah - that's what i figured. in that case, what is the major advantage of buying the tx81z over the fb01 - they're both 8part multitimbral (dunno how much polyphony the tx has - fb has 8 note). i can see that you get front-panel editing on the tx but that seems to be quite difficult to use - and i mostly prefer softeditors for modules (no reaching 6 foot up to a rack to edit stuff).

and the fb01 is half the price roughly....

Message 17/17             12-Sep-98  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: how does an oscillator work

kilo

well, thats the thing..... when it was released few people used s/w.... plus er... it's a proper rack.... which can make a difference to a gigging setup...

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)