aaa First FX.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: First FX....

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 21-Aug-98  @  07:23 PM   -   First FX....

Blunted

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok, I don't own any outboard FX yet. I'm not rich but I'm really curious about getting some changes to my synths..Everybody has seen rebirth Yes? Ok, what FX would simulate the PCF on Rebirth? That seems to be the most dramatic change...of course if I should just get a cheap distortion pedal lemmie know!.....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             27-Aug-98  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: First FX....

nomad

Link?:  Link

about the se-50...i have the se-70 (its big brother)
and it has one knob for value changing, plus it
has an expression pedal input, plus it can respond to
up to 4 midi controllers (ccs, aftertouch, pitchbend,
etc) for control of parameters. not everything, but
certainly better than just a couple of buttons....
maybe the se-50 has some of this midi control too?
btw, the se-70 is one awesome effects machine,
if you can find one cheap....

Message 12/17             27-Aug-98  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: First FX....

PhatCat

the PCF is Precision Control Filter...

Message 13/17             27-Aug-98  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: First FX....

skul

the PCF in ReBirth is a special filter (actually i think it's 'Pattern Controlled Filter'). at any rate, the only outboard gear that is gonna come close is probably a Waldorf 4-pole, but even then you would need to be controlling some of the parameters via MIDI to get the same effects as PCF. i know that some parameters in the 4-pole are MIDI controllable, just dunno if the ones you would need are. it would take some fiddling, anyways, i imagine.

the 4-pole looks pretty cool - would like to own one someday. but if you're looking for your first effects box, i would go with something a bit more versatile, or at least something you will use all the time, like a dedicated reverb (in which case i would recommend the Alesis Wedge, which you may still be able to get at Guitar Center for $100).

Message 14/17             27-Aug-98  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: First FX....

Blunted

Cool guys, thanks for the advise....

Message 15/17             28-Aug-98  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: First FX....

buggo

I would suggest a bunch of effects pedals. Boss makes absolutely the best ones; nice and quiet with good sound. They cost a little more but are worth it....and FX pedals are infinitely twiddleable, they have a big fat button for turning them on and off (pedal...duh) and are easy to work with, etc etc...

Message 16/17             28-Aug-98  @  02:47 AM   -   RE: First FX....

xoxos

Link?:  Link

just in case anyone's shopping, the boss se50 does have many parameters midi controllable thru pedals and wheels, but not delay time.

i still luv it for it's versatility - 28 algorithms, 100 writeables, several dedicated algs ie. 7 reverbs, delays, phaser, rotary, vocoder, and multis w. eq/del/pha/rev combos or such. also a few where you can feed two mono sigs thru two stereo algs. haven't checked to see if there's a review, but there you go. compared to the low end gear i've used, i think it's got a clean sound.

kilo asked me to wait until september, but sometime i'll post a demo of my 'candy ass - tapeworm mix' by 'secs,' to demonstrate what can be done with limited kit. this is just a mirage 8 bit mono sampler thru the boss and i don't mind if i do say that i worked those two to the extreme.

oh and can somebody pick up my thread on speech synthesizers? does anyone use/have one?

gracias,
xoxos.

Message 17/17             28-Aug-98  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: First FX....

ivan

The D-pole isn't the only stand-alone filter. Peavey has one (Spectrum Analog Filter) and
Mutronics (Mutron Filter?? - supposedly sounds like a MiniMoog filter..) and these two are both controllable over MIDI. The Sherman Filter Bank is also an old favourite, and any analog with external input should be able to do something similiar.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)