aaa Cutting Silence - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Cutting Silence

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 05-Aug-98  @  06:40 PM   -   Cutting Silence

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I got this box and I want to sample the drum sounds before I take it back.
I'll record all the hits in a long file in sondforge than i'll individually select each sample
and make its its own file. But tthat file with one sample won't start at the beginning.
I will have silence in the beggining and end. Is there a way in soundforge or any other
program to cut away all silence of a file leaving nothing but the audio data??

t

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             13-Aug-98  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

ivan

There's file joiners as PD programs for almost every computer, from Atari to UNIX. I don't know of any automagic program, but with a bit of scripting it might happen...

Message 12/17             13-Aug-98  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

bill

Link?:  Link

hilevelt - not sure if this will work because i don't have soundforge on this machine, but....

the big editing jobs in sf work most effeciently if you use regions. i'm guessing here but....

1) record you drum hits as you did - 100 hits, each with what, 4 sec space between?

2) set a region marker at the beginning and end of each sample - you'll get two regions for every sample - one of silence and one of the sample. there might even be a command in soundforge that allows you to "snap" to the next lagr volume.....dunno about that though

3) delete all the silent regions (double click on a region and it just highlights - hit delete). you're left with one big wav file which is split into regions. you can either save this off and go and split it into the parts in recycle OR

a) i'm sure soundforge itself has sampler-dump functions, youshould check these out if you haven't already....

b) because each sample is contained in a discreet region, it's incredibly simple to edit one sample and not the rest - say you wanted reverb on some snares or compression on all the kicks

anyway (this post is getting towards the long side now)
if you wanted to build a large file anyway i think that you can do it in soundforge through the "playlist" function. sorry this is all so vague - i haven't got scsi-connectiion to my sampler - but the moral is that at a guess i would say that you can do all you want (including the splitting samples, truncating, reodering if that took your fancy, exporting to sampler) from soundforge.

or maybe not..... 

Message 13/17             13-Aug-98  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

===

With cooledit all you have to save the small files into one big one is just highlight
all the small files and open. The files are one after the other with markers sperating them.

I'm not sure if soundforge does it like that. There maybe some kind of open-append
command

Message 14/17             13-Aug-98  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

Richie

Charmed I'm sure buggo.

Message 15/17             15-Aug-98  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

Hilevelt

PERFECT!!! The cool edit trick worked perfectly, I mapped out 56 drum samples in about 10 minutes (only took so long 'cause I was still working out the details). Thanks no-name!

BTW, checking out a buddy's a3000, it cuts up the sample but doesn't take out all the wasted dead air, so you're going to need to use this trick anway, kilo. That little Yammy trick is unique & superior to recycle or ws in some ways, but it only cuts in predetermined divisions and doesn't "read" the beats.

Message 16/17             16-Aug-98  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

kilo

are you sure\/... anyways... my mates yam,aha has fucked up again with the disk drive....second one.... seems a bit wierd... it told him to change it for a new one, father that getting it fixed again.....any problems with others?

Message 17/17             16-Aug-98  @  07:27 AM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

Hilevelt

The a3000 apparently leaves the original loop intact, and then pulls divisions out of it. Basically, it's kinda like the amen s/w, it assigns different parts of the sample to midi notes and plays back the sections, so it's not actually cutting anything up (or out) at all. At least that's what I got from the manual, but not actually owning one, I'm obviously not an authority.

Anyway, I've got 3 friends w/ a3000's and no fuck ups yet. I still like my k2rs.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)