aaa Locked up!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Locked up!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 28-Jul-98  @  06:29 PM   -   Locked up!!

Blunted

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Help, my computer started locking up. 40 seconds after start-up it would just plain lock up. Come
to find out, the heatsink broke off of my Cyrix
chip and it was overheating. I fixed the heat sink
but now my XGEDIT software locks up after 2-3 key presses. Everything else works perfectly ie making waves and cakewalk. Even cakewalk plays XG files
perfectly off of the net. ANyways, so I reload the newest version of XGedit and it still locks up?
As I said, the board still works, and everything else still works fine too......WHat could it be?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             29-Jul-98  @  02:19 AM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Astro

Huh? Never heard of a UBS chip. Sure you don't mean Universal Serial Bus (USB)? Even then... has nothing to do with the CPU or directories... its part of the motherboard... and I have yet to discover what it's good for. And Kilo.. he has a Cyrix chip now... I was telling him he should swith to K6. Its really not that big a deal to switch different CPUs... Ive done it about a dozen times with different computers. You dont need to change a thing in the BIOS usually... but you may have to change a jumper or two on ther motherboard if it isnt PnP compliant. BE SURE TO READ THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL(if you have it.. if not.. dont even try it). The K6 is a much better chip than the Cyrix... much more reliable. And if you're trying to decide between a Pentium 200 and K6 200.... get the K6. Its half the cost with better performance. Cyrix are absolute shit though... which explains your problem. Im just recomending this as a cheap but effective upgrade. May make more sense to save your cash and get a new P2 motherboard and CPU... cause it'll be upgradable in the long run... once you get the k6 200 your upgrade options will be done till you get a new motherboard that's P2 compliant. If you swap up to a p2 mb and 300 mhz p2 cpu it'll cost ya like $500 (compared to the $70 upgrade I recomended). Im a computer techy by trade... so I read and hear about this shit all day... I'd be happy to give any assistance you may need.

Uh.. on second thought... may not wanna mess with the CPU if you dont know what your doing... unless you're sure thats what the problem is.

Ugh... sorry... gotta lay off the caffeine....

Message 12/17             29-Jul-98  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Fingers

I have a Cyrix 200mx and have had no problems. In fact it seems to handle audio better than some allegedly more powerful Pentiums. hmmm I hate this shit...uncertainty... benchmark schmenchmark...doh...who to believe...aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghhh.......

Message 13/17             29-Jul-98  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

helena

I have a cyrix processor and use XGedit - not an ideal
combination because of something to do with the
floating point gobbleygooks !!!.

However try this - delete XGedit, reload it then
check all your devices in device manager on control
panel - any problems or conflicts should show up there
(with possible solutions !). Good luck

Message 14/17             29-Jul-98  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Islandman

Blunted, a lot of programs don't remove dll files out of the windows directory even when you uninstall properly. If all of your other software is working that;s probably the problem. I don't think it's your CPU. If a CPU goes bad it usually just goes bad and it doesn't work at all. Like Danielle said, wipe the drive and start from scratch. This will get rid of any pesky dlls hanging about.

Peace

Message 15/17             29-Jul-98  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Blunted

Uggg, ok last night I uninstalled XGedit95 and deleted
the old Xgedit....I tried deleting every trace of XGedit I could find...Where do I get this Reg Fix proggie? I looked at download.com but they didn't have it... K next, I've gotta weigh some issues here. I have a 533mhz alpha CPU and motherboard sitting in my closet with NT 4.0. If this problem doesn't go away after the fix DLL and a hard drive cleaning (It better tho!!) Should I just build one of the fastest computers in the world? All I need is some really expensive Ram $300 for 128megs and a new video board 150$$
everything else is subposed to drop in. ARgh!! With the pentiums jumping up in speed, I wonder what kind of advantage I'll really have with all the emulation it will have to do....Course soundforge has alpha drivers, but everything else will have to have some sort of emulation. Argh! I never thought I'd have to deal with this! Also, I didn't download anything for months, so I don't think it's a virus....and everything else does work well..So...wish me luck.....

~Really Blunted

Message 16/17             29-Jul-98  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Astro

Damn! 533mhz Alpha just sitting in your closet? I dunno.. I think Id try to get that working. Im not sure what you mean by emulation though.... may make things hairy I guess. And NT4 isnt exactly multimedia friendly... only up to directx 3 I think.

I think Daniela and Islandman had the right idea... just start over. Its a long process... but you'll find everythin runs alot smoother when you're starting from a clean slate. Actually, you dont necessarily have to delete everything and reformat... just do this if you wanna save all your data: 1) copy all your windows95 setup files off your cd and onto your hard drive (basically the entire CD-ROM or just the win95 folder on the CD-ROM) 2) boot into DOS using a boot disk 3) run your windows setup program (the one you copied to you harddrive) 4) MAKE SURE you install it in a different folder (ie - "Win" instead of "Windows") 5) when you're done reinstalling just delete your old windows directory. This will overwrite all your old DLLs and registry entries. Only problem is you'll have to reinstall all your old applications once you're done. But its a hell of alot better than wiping the drive clean and reformating cause you wont loose all your data, like all the tunes you've been working on.

Message 17/17             29-Jul-98  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Islandman

Excellent idea Astro!! Another good thing to is to copy all of the .cab files off the win95 cd and place them in a directory on your hard drive. Whenever you get that pesky "Please insert your Win95 CDROM" you could hit "OK" and then point to the directory you've placed your .cab files. Hell, if you've got the room keep two copies of Windows 95 on your hard drive! One thing to note, though: all of those registry cleaners are garbage and not worth the trouble they cause. Some of them work OK if you install them before you put any programs on your computer so they can really keep track of everything. Astro has it right on if you don't want to lose anything you've been working on....but you've been backing up everything you work on...right?.......right!!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)