aaa Give me 0 unity or give me death - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Give me 0 unity or give me death

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  07:33 AM   -   Give me 0 unity or give me death

brad

Link?:  Link
File?:  [image]

[image file]

So I'm just about to record a new livePA mix. As usual, all my gear goes to my
Mackie, then out to my sparkly new m-audio ozone going into my laptop. Problem
is, I can't figure out how to adjust the recording level on the ozone!

Ideally I want to set the mackie mains to 0dB, and then adjust the ozone level
accordingly. But for now 0dB is way too hot for the Ozone and I get massive
clipping.

I have to lower the mains all the way down to -20dB to get proper levels, i.e. no
clipping, around -1 to -2dB headroom. So the question is, will this give me a bad
signal/noise ratio? is this a bad way to record?

I did a 10min test recording, burned it and played it on the monitors and it sounds
fine.

Are there any other reasons why recording at -20dB would be bad? It feels funny
to see my output meters so low...also I fell like I have less control, b/c duh, I do.

Thoughts?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             30-Jan-04  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

queasy00

File?:  No file

oops... i meant to add:

when you get the new one back, please tell if that solved your problems.

-j

Message 12/17             30-Jan-04  @  05:51 AM     Edit: 30-Jan-04  |  05:54 AM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

psylichon

Link?: Link

Are you sure you're not sending a balanced output to an unbalanced input? This would account for at least 14 dB of that overshoot. What trusty mackie do you own? Most have tape outs... have you tried those? Cause those are likely unbalanced, definitely so if they're RCA's.

And yeah, bottom line is, burn a CD, put it in yer discman, put on the eargoggles, close your eyes, and evaluate. You know how it should sound.

Message 13/17             30-Jan-04  @  11:33 AM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

k

hold up Brad - when you 'record' off the mackie, where are you taking the line OUt from (assuming the master l/r is going to Front-of-house

?

this sounds like you simply are taking a +20 output

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/17             30-Jan-04  @  11:42 AM     Edit: 30-Jan-04  |  11:54 AM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

k

if you look at a VLZ spec the outs are set to +20dbu (0dBfs = +20dBu)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/17             30-Jan-04  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

milan

"Problem is, I can't figure out how to adjust the recording level on the ozone!"

input gain controls dont work or does it still clip when you turn them all the way down? did you connect the mackie to the aux inputs?

Message 16/17             30-Jan-04  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

brad

File?:  [image]

[image file]

wow- thanks for all the replies. FYI, I'm using the tape outs from a mackie 1404.
The input gain control doesn't work at all so to compensate, I bring the mackie
down to -20dB. I know my mackie levels are "normal" b/c I've recorded via tape-
output (rca) to a stand-alone CD-R deck several times before, with excellent
results.

So, short answer= I'm sending my ozone back to m-audio. After m-audio emailed
that first response above, I got a second one saying;
"Normally you will want to adjust this at the Source (in this case your Mackie) so
you may just be sending too hot of a signal through. If the input gain on the Ozone
is not working, lets verify a clean install of the Ozone driver:" [long detailed ozone
driver installation instructions that I know by heart anyway]

But then I talked w/ a cool guy from the RA Department and we both agreed this is
a h/w problem, not s/w. B/c if you think about it, wtf does a s/w driver have to do
with a hardware knob?!? Nothing. I'd go so far to guess that the gain input knob
would work even if it wasn't connected to the lappy.

Sooo...luckily they are here in califonia, and my man said turn-around time would
be a week. s'cool, I'll just dust off the old stand-alone CDR and get busy ;-)

Message 17/17             31-Jan-04  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Give me 0 unity or give me death

k

have you tried lloking for the input level in your windows mixer? (start/accessories/multimedia I think it's in) - it might be linked as it often is and ....

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)