aaa release - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: release

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             22-Feb-04  @  12:08 PM     Edit: 22-Feb-04  |  12:09 PM   -   release

Bedwyr

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

aight. had a thought. there's people here who've had stuff released, whether it 's on cd, vinyl, whatever.

how do you think it came about? maybe there's tips/info for people who are trying to do that.

from my perspective, there's nothing that beats personal contact with people who "deliver content", (sorry for the shitespeak; i'm just finishing a interacttive media course)

i.e. talk to record labels, distributors, broadcasters, mobile phone companies, tv companies/producers/runners, game designers, film companies etc.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             22-Feb-04  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: release

mcc>

Link?:  No link

basically......yeah....if you're going to have stuff released...you either have to be the person wanting to release it yourself or be in contact with those types of people who have a vested interest in releasing stuff you've done.
the choices of outlet and the reasons for doing so are are numerous.
not everything has to come as a result of woking with already-established
commercial-interests....though that certainly would be the most normal way to go.
DIY efforts still hold promise in this day-and-age where the means of manufacturing are within reach of even the most modest studios.

i've had 3 songs...step into my world> you can't hurt me> what's up?>
released on one cd (nisha: step into my world) as a result of having written the songs with the vocalist who was driven enough to approach producers....one which decided it was a project definitely worth doing. she's released 3 cds altogether on kitsch-n-sync productions including the first darlin-n-rose cd which is country music worth listening to.
i've had stuff released by guys bootlegging live recordings back in the punk-days.
i've released a planet clay: life in orbit~ 60-min.cassette which saw 200 copies go out.
also a halo effect> plus equals minus~ 4-song cassette...200 copies.
eoa/entourage> tongues of reason~ 6-song cassette saw 200 copies. so much talent wasted arguing who gets to ride in the front car on the way to opening for boys-to-men and stuff like that.
then you blame the white man.
also songs by evolution200/mc think on vinyl and cd-release by vinyl communications.

plenty of ways to go but i'm a fan of the self-release. of course getting the stuff heard on a wider-scale is more doable when handled by a more entrenched and upscale organization. but even how that works changes constantly.
but yeah...you gotta make it happen yourself.....few people will come knockin at your door just cause you're bustin choons.

Message 3/18             22-Feb-04  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: release

mcc>

evolution200 later known as evolution2000...heh heh.

currently working hard on the first man called clay> release
which will be one cd...not two....btw.

working title: the size of a small book.

Message 4/18             22-Feb-04  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: release

BluStudio

Ive been toying with the idea of starting my own tiny wee label (vinyl releases only) for a while now after various let downs and promises from some label guys Its a shit feeling after weeks of going back and forth with some of these guys to be dropped last thing- one track me and andrew (broken) did even went as far as distribution numbers and had 2 pretty fookin top remixers on it, then killed off without a proper explanation

still trying to get my own shit down cold in the meantime technique wise, but defo something id love to have a crack at, particularly some of the stuff with my studio buddies (BrokenSilence and me= SignalRunners, also Johnnyboy/Polo etc...)

prolly no money in it, but that was never ever the point...

BluBeats awaits in the wings

Message 5/18             22-Feb-04  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: release

mcc>

you kinda said it right there blu when you said gettin it down cold.
it's one reason i chilled on my releases cause i was, at times....making bad calls in the heat of...well...you know me...screw what anyone thinks etc.

especially in the dance realm...you gotta have those tech aspects down. i got all these arty-leanings which provide me some cover.....but at the end of the day...i said no more releases til i get good or close to good. at some point i knew i sucked but then again....so what? gotta just go for it.

i think you need to focus blu once you get your studio up again..... you and silence work up some stuff together and if you do...i'm good for a copy or two.

i wanna know when stella is getting released though....beds?
love that track.

Message 6/18             23-Feb-04  @  06:48 AM     Edit: 23-Feb-04  |  06:49 AM   -   RE: release

Bedwyr

Stella Holiday (2001)

Owen Stickler & Aron Evans
Mixed media - Contemporary Valleys Story
No dialogue or voice-over - 'pop promo' made by pupils of Keystart Revival Strategy programme Bryncynon, Rhondda

* Screened on Double Yellow BBC Wales together with documentary on the making of the film, May 2001

Format: Digital Beta - wide screen
Length: 4'21"
Funding: 'Arts for All' Lottery grant from the Arts Council of Wales

^

Message 7/18             23-Feb-04  @  09:02 AM   -   RE: release

k

sometimes it's who you know yes, but i've had projects which were being chased by a hord of labels (mostly major) based on word of mouth. It depends.

sadly this is almost ed for rock bands now that the Uk has gone down the shitter for gigs, but for garage, rnb & dance this still can happen

Message 8/18             23-Feb-04  @  11:27 AM   -   RE: release

dingostema

Link?:  Link

We got lucky, real lucky. We had finished our first real track where we had used a vocalist and burnt 5 CD's to send out. Whilst reading Computer music (whilst taking a dump as I remember it) I saw one of those little ads in the back asking for Funky house type demo's. Called 'em, emailed a track over and after many chats and meetings contracts were sorted. Since then I have met loads of other people doing the same kinda thing and this has also lead to offers and discussions with other labels. One call has seemed to lead on to other cool things.

Dingo

Message 9/18             25-Feb-04  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: release

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

I think it is primary to NOT DOUBT YOUR TALENT. Or you inspiration. You aren't the only one who likes to be inspired and something you have written WILL inspire someone out there. Its important to remember why you are doing what you're doing (if its purely business then scroll down to the next post). Release your material even if its a DIY thing. Think Jim Thirlwell whether you like him or not. Actually, if you dislike him its even more reason to consider him - well over 50 releases in one form or another over the past 23 years yet few have head of him. WTF keeps him doing it??? There is the big question, eh? Regardless, he releases his material and has done so since the start.

Release it!

Let it go.

Forget about it.

Move on to the next release!

Message 10/18             25-Feb-04  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: release

psylichon

I can't believe Jock hasn't made an ejaculatory reference yet.

Message 11/18             25-Feb-04  @  08:52 AM   -   RE: release

k

True!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/18             25-Feb-04  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: release

I hate you but love bums

If your music is good enough, then you don't need to worry about all this bollocks.

Message 13/18             25-Feb-04  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: release

dubmunkey

ive only had one tune i and others deemed good enough- unfortunatly a spoken word sample which underpins the tune has stopped us from being able to tout it....bah!

greg

Message 14/18             25-Feb-04  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: release

beds

who are the butt-love bums?

if your music is good enough and no-one gets to hear it then you do need to think about it.

Message 15/18             25-Feb-04  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: release

I hate you but love bums

If your music is good enough then:-

1. Send it to John Peel. If it's good, he'll play it.
2. Send it to a record label that releases stuff like it. If its good, they're release it.
3. Send it to a magazine reviewer. If its good, he/she'll write about it.

Message 16/18             25-Feb-04  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: release

Manthra

Belive in destiny

Message 17/18             25-Feb-04  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: release

I hate you but love bums

Yea, I used to believe that up until I hit 21.

Message 18/18             25-Feb-04  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: release

beds

john peel? sure is gonna work if you write pop.

so the bum lover thinks it's a good idea to send things out. as i said, i've never sent a thing out.

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)