aaa I'm off to the shops to buy a... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I'm off to the shops to buy a...

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             22-Oct-98  @  12:01 PM   -   I'm off to the shops to buy an...

mail

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

a3k. From the sounds of it nothing else really
compares. What use is an ex5 if you can't use the
sampler properly, and Yamaha have admitted scsi
speed won't be improved by an os upgrade, but a
new motherboard will be needed.
And really I suppose the a3k is like a synth
anyway in as much as that you can feed in a
sampled waveform and then adapt it's envelope, so
as long as I've got a decent sample bank to plough
through it's gonna be fine - right?
What about layering features on the a3k? Can you
for instance, layer samples and give them
different merging properties much like you would
with an image in say Photoshop? Strange comparison
I know but when you think about it...
I read that about the ensoniq asrx pro- which is
second down my list of contenders. Apparently with
that box you can do this.
And it has a so called 'synth engine' but, like I
say, isn't that gonna be a waste of space if you
can source a decent sample library and an a3k? - I
see the turbo version comes with a 2.2gb hd loaded
with demo stuff anyway.
So am I going to need to buy a syn

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             22-Oct-98  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: I'm off to the shops to buy a...

Richie

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Congratulations on a wise choise! (I am so biased)

If you take synth to mean ways of f**king a sound up or taking it to new levels of sonic gorgeousness then yup! this baby will not let you down...

For an example of a sound I've allways been after but never knew how to get it... a 909 snare through a high pass filter with a medium attack on the volume.. I pass this through the left/right delay and while the track is playing sweep the filter up and down.. As the high pass filter lets more of the bass through I'm getting this lovely chugging bass sound at the most extreme of the filter it sounds like an 808 hihat... What I'm trying to say is.. when I play the track back it sounds like the sound is morphing rather than just filtering... Add to this the fact you have 16 USEABLE filters to mess with your sounds and you have one powerfull synth capeability

Yes you can layer the samples..

Each sample has it's own channel setting, eq, filter +env, fx routing, vol env, etc. To layer the samples you just set the channels to be the same. So you can have either extreme differences or none if you want.. Also you can group samples into a bank which then treats the group of samples as one.. so you could have 10 samples of a bass on different keygroups and each one going through the same fx/eq/filter etc settings... (this would have been used to demonstrate some rhodes piano set way back   )

I tell ya.. I've never had so mutch fun with a piece of equipment as I have with this... Just give it a week or so to get past the learning curve....

Anymore questions or help just ask man  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)