aaa General question - ? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: General question - ?

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             05-Feb-04  @  02:18 PM   -   General question - ?

thomas.knodt

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hello I'm Thomas Knodt and I'm in last year of study about electronic. I ask you some question for my end work.

what is the magnetic property of cello strings (d'addario- jargar)?

divided pickup(hex pickup): what is it, How does it work and what is the sensor in it?

Thank You
Thomas

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             05-Feb-04  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: General question - ?

Pongoid

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Most cello strings are wrapped in a ferrous metal. This has a magnetic content. When placed in the the field of a magnetic pickup the vibration of the string will cause an electrical current to be generated through inductance/disturbances in that field.

In your case the divided pickup will not be hex, it will be quad (cellos using four strings). In most magnetic pickups, the pole pieces (magnets that sit under each string so as to focus a megnetic field around the string and accurately respond to the vibrations of said string) are all mounted on a common frame, and wrapped with a single coil of wire. The electric currents generated by each string are all combined as a single electrical signal. Sometimes a second set of magnets are wrapped in a single coil of wire, but out of phase with the first to cause a cancellation of the hum associated with a sincle coil pickup, this type being called a 'humbucker'. However, in a 'split' design the magnetic pole pieces are wrapped with their own individual coils so that the outputs may be seperated for signal isolation, processing, or frequency interpolation purposes.

I hope this helps. I find it odd that this type of thing would not have come up already in your study of electronics. *shrugs

Ape

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)