aaa guitar - fuzz tone - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: guitar - fuzz tone

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20             23-Nov-98  @  02:36 PM   -   guitar - fuzz tone

skul

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

anyone got any tips for creating a fuzz tone? basically i don't feel like going out and spending money on one of those pedals if i can just recreate it (and then some) using distortion and EQ already at my disposal. so what bands should i be looking to boost/cut?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             23-Nov-98  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

99devils

Sorry, guy... Guitarists search for years and years and can spend thousands of dollars looking for the perfect distorted tone... Biting the bullet for a $100 pedal isn't that big a deal!

-Craig

Message 3/20             23-Nov-98  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

skul

no, it's not, but if you buy a pedal you're limited to what Manufacturer X gives you. i know it's gotta come down to what harmonics you add and what bands you boost and cut - that's all a pedal is doing for you. i'll find the tone eventually, i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a starting point. guess not.

Message 4/20             24-Nov-98  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

xoxos

Link?:  Link

whoops! my se-50 had a wow groovy fuzz type preset... straight out of 'loop.' but the internal battery died in it, so can't tell you what the eq is... but if you get hold of one, the preset is # 90-100... go check out multi effects at the shops... then again, that's no quicker than actually figuring it out from scratch...

xoxos.

Message 5/20             24-Nov-98  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

skul

i'm probably gonna lame out on this one and buy a Tech21 XXL. it's got a control for the blend of even and odd harmonics, which seems to make a huge impact on "fuzziness".

and speaking of even/odd harmonics, i wonder how this relates, if at all, to additive synthesis.

Message 6/20             24-Nov-98  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

melon

Fuzz! Are we talking Sepultura fuzz, Metallica fuzz, G'n'R fuzz, or Jon Bon Jovi fuzz?

I do wonder how Sepultura get their unique guitar sound.

Message 7/20             24-Nov-98  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

Dan S.

Those heavy-metal guys layer guitar take upon guitar take, and then compress it heavily.
Among other things...

Message 8/20             24-Nov-98  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

shado

u don't need to spend too much, but u do need an actual distortion pedal. there's alot of stuff out there with lots of patches however it's a little like cable tv. you can have 128 patches of crap and really one descent sound with some control is more usefull. try out the proco rat. not the turbo. the old rat has heaps of upper harmonics and if it's good enough for jeff beck then it can't be too bad. dale

Message 9/20             25-Nov-98  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

buggo

i've heard good things about those. what do they cost?

on my juno i have to make patches specifically for distortion with the pedal i have now...if the cutoff is too high or low they just sound shite, the hpf has to be in exactly the right place...i'd like to have a decent distortion pedal...

Message 10/20             27-Nov-98  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

/\/\

That ph***ed up distorsion comes from peavey tube amplifiers. I know. I've played one.

Message 11/20             07-Dec-98  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

shado

I was just thumbing thru a copy of july '98 keyboard mag when on pg 25 there's a mention of a steinberg pluggin called QuadraFuzz. Thought it might be worth mentioning. I think there's also a pluggin called Grungiliser or something like that also. Of coarse this would only be usefull if you're using VST I suppose.Dale

Message 12/20             07-Dec-98  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

carles

Most fuzz boxes use a heavy dostortion + a heavy filter .
You can experiment with a not too bad guitar box and with an Eq filter hipass and you can use both high pass and lowpass to get that old radio sound .

Message 13/20             07-Dec-98  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

Richie

It's allways worth buying up distortion pedals though if that's a sound you use a lot.. me, I'll buy any distortion pedal on offer however crappy and cheap because I think the cheaper ones are better for percussion effects rather than on guitar. Unfortunately the cheaper ones also tend to have the most amazing noise level that just craps all over your recordings, so you need noise gates and stuff for the quiet parts of tracks. But every distortion pedal has it's own character that is unique, my favorite one is an "Orange Distortion", It has real dirty distortion and some serious filtering going on. But the real reason I love it so mutch is the fact that it's big and orange with a funky 70's logo on it. One of the best overdrive/distortion's I got that I used loads was from overloading the pre-amp on the mic channel of an old Realistic (radio shack) DJ mixer.

Message 14/20             07-Dec-98  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

skul

you're definitely right about the filtering thing. as far as i've been able to figure, there's a few factors involved in the fuzz tone.

1) lots o' harmonics.
2) oversaturated tube effect (for lack of a better term) - a kind of limiting where any peaks get totally mashed.
3) high pass filtering.

i got the XXL, and it does all this quite well. i'm really very happy with it ($100 well spent).

Message 15/20             07-Dec-98  @  03:48 PM   -   oops!

skul

i meant low pass filtering... sorry, it's monday.

Message 16/20             07-Dec-98  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

shado

Yeah! I remember back in highschool in New Zealand, the local guitar god used to carry around an old reel to reel that he used as his overdrive. Some guys here in Oz used to get a couple of quads then take all but two of the cones outa the speakers.Then crank the fuck outa those non mastervolume marshalls to get THE SOUND at low volume. Yes the eternal search for the holy grail of guitar sound has led many to frustration. Dale

Message 17/20             07-Dec-98  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

99devils

Most ultra-heavy distorted guitar sounds come from loud tube amps (not necessarily peavey) cranked all the way up, sometimes with a distortion, overdrive, eq, or compressor going into the front in addition (to boost the signal going in, thus achievg clip at lower volumes). The best distorted sounds (In my opinion, and this is a very opinionated topic) come from the Mesa Boogie rectifier amps, with second (again in my opinion, and this piece soon to be in my rig) going to the Crate Blue Voodoo.

Anyone else play guitar in a heavy capacity? What amps/distortion devices are you using?

-Craig

Message 18/20             07-Dec-98  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

nomad

you know, i actually like my turbo rat...at least
it kills the other distortion pedals i've used
(mostly crappy boss overdrives). oh yeah there's
a big difference between fuzz/distortion and
overdrive too. and i'm not a guitarist (although
i am now working on it...just picked up a guitar  
and i don't have any tube gear (yet).

i just got a korg a2, and it has some pretty killer
overdrives in it (and it's digital!) at least they
sound good on drums, i haven't played the
guitar through it. it sounds pretty good when I over
drive the mixer too   the a3 is the same box and
it's pretty cheap, and has lots of nice effects in
it, including some weird dynamic modulation effects ->
chorus/flange who depth varies with how hard you
play....

also, some things that sound good on guitar sound like
crap on keyboards, and vice versa. i have one of those
1/2 rack boss choruses, and it's hardly noticeable
the few times i've tried to use in on keyboards,
but it sounds nice on guitar....

btw, a friend of mine (who's played guitar longer
than me) got an awesome tone out of a boss 1/2
rack preamp/parametric eq i sold him...overdrive
the front end and the eqs....

Message 19/20             07-Dec-98  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone

skul

yeah, well i actually have a Peavey tube amp (oh, the shame...), and it sounds like utter crud when cranked. in fact, it sounds like crud no matter what i do with it. i get better sounds going thru a SansAmp into my mixing desk. i've played Marshall stacks before and they can sound pretty good. i'm really a Fender snob, tho, cos i like to play [somewhat] clean sometimes as well. such nice tones...

mainly i'm a bass player, so that's where i've spent most of me cash. i'm playing an Ampeg b100r at home right now and it's such a nice sounding little amp. i've been running my bass thru the XXL into that thing, and i swear i could record a whole album of just that and be happy with it. i can easily get that Curve fuzzy bass sound. now if i only had time to program some interesting drum loops...

thanks for all the input, folks.

Message 20/20             09-Dec-98  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: guitar - fuzz tone - mids are the enemy

buggy

I send my guitar signal thru a dbx 242 para/eq and drop the mids out completely. Then into a boss se-50 where I
drop them again before it hits a wireless and a marshall
slx stack. I've found no better combination and beleive me
I've looked. Works real good with my nordlead 2 as well.

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)