aaa Buying Studio headphones. Need tips - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20             21-Jan-04  @  02:49 PM   -   Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

buzz

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey!

Im planning to buy a pair of Studio headphones. Already have a pair of studio monitors but would like to get some Studio headphones when im working with music during the night times.

Could you recommend me any good and not too expensive Studio headphones?

//buzz

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             21-Jan-04  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

queasy00

Link?:  Link

someone's bound to recommend them akg240m cans... i have a pair and it's great except for bass. the bass comes out pretty quiet.

-j

Message 3/20             21-Jan-04  @  03:51 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

RagnarOk

Link?: Link

All these stuff are in the same price range basically, do a search on headphones, we had a thread some weeks ago...

Short answer is AKG K240m / Sennheiser H2270.

Also heard good things about a Sony MDR-CD780...

Message 4/20             21-Jan-04  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

mcc>

i've been using my sennheiser eh2270 a lot more recently since i took on a room-mate.
a couple days recently i must've had em on foreasily 10 hours... and i play em decent loud. they sound good and i experienced no head-stress or fatigue.

they retail around 200 but you can get em for half that.

monitor from as many souces as available.
a little home-stereo in there is also a good idea.

Message 5/20             21-Jan-04  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Expect to pay about $100.00US for decent headphones. I use my Sony MDR-7506s at work and at home becuase I can use them all day without fatigue. Like monitors, buy a good set and listen to a lot of very familiar pre-recorded material. You'll gain an understanding of how they respond and once you get to know them you will be able use them with confidence.

Message 6/20             21-Jan-04  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

Influx

sony V600s here. love em. third pair

Message 7/20             21-Jan-04  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

mcc>

why 3 pairs?

Message 8/20             21-Jan-04  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

psylichon

cause they rock. I'm on my second, but only because I picked up a set for free. The ones I've used since middle school still pump it out beautifully. Sony made a mistake by discontinuing this model.

Message 9/20             22-Jan-04  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

mcc>

so what's the best comparable sony model currently available?

Message 10/20             22-Jan-04  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

AudioAlchemist

I bought Audio-technicas (ATH-M40fs ) They are $60.00 at at most stores, and they have gotten great ratings (9.0+) on Musicians friend and zzzounds. I have to agree, I think for the price they are fantastic. Check em out if you can.

Message 11/20             22-Jan-04  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

Boo

Link?:  Link

Sony MDR-V900's here.

Wear them all day with no fatique...

Message 12/20             22-Jan-04  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

Influx

the V900s are the new V600s.

as to why three pairs? well...had one pair for...dunno...3 years, and they were used when I got em. So...when they finally fell apart, I bought some new ones, and then decided I didnt want to use any other headphones for my "home listening" set so I bought another 

I still look on ebay every once in a while to see if I can find em cheap...cuz I like to stock up on things I like

Message 13/20             22-Jan-04  @  03:30 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

mcc>

i always heard sony made one of the best headsets available and yet
it's always good to hear it directly from people in the field.

i think any small studio needs at least 2 pairs of headphones anyway.
preferably 2 that match so 2 peeps can be hearing the exact same thing.
i think a 3rd pair of different phones is good for "checking" mixes up against a different source. but i guess i'll settle for 2 that don't match.

v900s then.....thanks for the tip.

Message 14/20             22-Jan-04  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

pict

I don't like using headphones but sometimes they are a necessary evil.I use sony mdr 7509s I paid over a hundred quid for them they sound good,are as comfortable as headphones can be,and if a bit breaks they sell spare parts.I would recommend being very careful about your volume levels if you are going to monitor for extended times on headphones it's very easy to damage your ears it without realising it.

Message 15/20             26-Jan-04  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

sh09

AKG K240 Studio, or Sennheiser HD-25.

Message 16/20             26-Jan-04  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

RagnarOk

I mentioned Sony MDR-CD780 at the beginning. I've just tried them out, and well... I didn't bought them, they sounded way too upront, unnatural with a very narrow and strange stereo field. Not recommended.

Message 17/20             27-Jan-04  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

slickqd

AKG K240 Studio RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 18/20             27-Jan-04  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

RagnarOk

Looks ugly though

Message 19/20             27-Jan-04  @  04:58 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

RagnarOk

Sennheiser HD-25.

I've tried the HD-25 SP (cheaper version) and while I was completely blown by the sound quality, its construction is really-really weak, ok if you want to use it at home, but to carry around or use it on stage... no way. The HD-25 must rule though (more massive).

Message 20/20             27-Jan-04  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: Buying Studio headphones. Need tips

milan

HD25 is a bit of a standard for live sound, broadcasting and on-location recording, at least where i'm at. they are very well built and each and every part is easily replacable and they offer excellent protection from outside noise.

sound IS good, but i would wanna mix on them. you'd be better off with something larger and more open sounding. everybody seems to be using AKG's tho i'm more of a sennheiser fan. (HD265 here, since 5 yrs or so)

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)