aaa Computer-based music studio: what is required - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Computer-based music studio: what is required

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 23-Jun-98  @  06:42 PM   -   Computer-based music studio: what is required

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I notice that all discussion groups here are aimed on advanced users but there is nothing for beginners that would like to start out .

Well, I am one of those. I don't know much about this stuff but my goal is to build a computer-based music studio avoiding expensive hardware as much as possible.

This is my system:
p200mmx, 32mb ram, 5.9gb hd, ricoh mp6200a cdrw, sb16 soundcard

These are my software purchases and family gifts:
gigasampler, cubase vst, soundforge, soundforge acid, rebirth, easy cd creator and fruity loops.

What else do I need (software, hardware) ? Do I need a synth or a simple keyoboard , better soundcard ? Please give me some ideas on a complete studio based on my stuff and things i still need.

My aim is to create dance music, techno, drum'n base etc...
Any help will be appreciated.

Dalibor

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/20             28-Jun-98  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

galleyslave

Most important thing is probably to learn all that software you've got inside out though.. first... 'cause it will pay off later.

Message 12/20             28-Jun-98  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

galleyslave

Most important thing is probably to learn all that software you've got inside out though.. first... 'cause it will pay off later.

Message 13/20             28-Jun-98  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

galleyslave

Doh! I hate it when that happens.... oh well...other thing was get another 32 RAM 'cause you'll be needing it...and look after your PC.... ie defrag it every now and then...don't put hacked shit on there blah blah blah...

Message 14/20             28-Jun-98  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

what do you mean...dont put hacked shit it there...and if not how the fuck do you use 'hacked shit?
Zip drive?

Message 15/20             29-Jun-98  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

galleyslave

You don't use hacked software genius... or if you do then bear it mind it will quite possibly screw your system up totally.... sooner or later.

Message 16/20             19-Jul-98  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

just HOW exactly will hacked software fuck up your computer, programmer?

all that is 'hacked' is an overide of the 'safety', or 'protection' device that prevents it from being used. it is NO more hazardous than retail software.

your old wives tales are tedious, and i am turbo.

Message 17/20             19-Jul-98  @  07:43 AM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

MC Ren

just HOW exactly will hacked software fuck up your computer, programmer?

all that is 'hacked' is an overide of the 'safety', or 'protection' device that prevents it from being used. it is NO more hazardous than retail software.

your old wives tales are tedious, and i am turbo.

Message 18/20             20-Jul-98  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

Hififreq

MC ren, do you really think that cracks can't harm a system? Let me ask you this... would you trust a system full of hacks and cracks in a real time performance situation? If you say yes, you are either really brave or really stupid. I would guess really stupid going by your last thread. Cracks and Hacks make edits and changes to the system registry. The system registry basically tells your computer how to run. You don't feel so smart now do ya smarty? Turbo? what the hell is that supposed to mean???? Oh I get it you're supposed to be a gear-head... ha ha good one.

Message 19/20             21-Jul-98  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

faust

Hmm gonna be a long one..
Dalibor if you get VST workin I'll sure be impressed(does it work for anyone out there? or is it just
bad plain and simple?) Ive been strugglin with it for a while and still need help, here's where Im at:
I have no soundcard problems, I have an AWE 64, and a Darla, can disable either and the same
problem happens..after a short random time cuebase.exe causes an invalid page fault in Windows
dll applications kernel32.dll or Rundll. and locksup.
Ive got 96megs ram now, colors set to 256, all extra's gone from autoexec and config or moved to high mem (596k conventional mem free) Ive got latest drivers and latest versions for everything, that problem VSTmidi effects program effect.dll can be removed or put back in, reinstalled VST plenty 'o times, AISO set correctly with buffers and such and no dice. It will lockup either runnin strictly MIDI(spot-on 16th notes before it locks) or Audio, computer works flawlesslly when not using Cubase, and yes it's storebought not hacked.
Ive contacted Steinberg months ago(of course no response), and Im goin CRAZY!! The only 2 things I can think of is if my HD is too slow, but it's at like 1500ms read/write which accordin to Darla's HD checkin program is good enuff for 8 stereo tracks(only one mono track recorded inna song will make it freeze). or I need to reinstall windows, which I don't know how to do.
Im 99% certain that it's strictly a conflict between Cuebase and Windows(98 now, had same problem with 95). Ive noticed you can open these windows app's(rundll, kerneldll) and there are a lot of settings for size of stack reserves and lots of other things, maybe if I set these different cuebase wont overload them, but I don't know what to change these things to or even if I should.
You can tell by the length of this message Ive been workin at gettin Cuebase running far too long....SOMEONE HELP ME PLEAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
faust

Message 20/20             21-Jul-98  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: Computer-based music studio: what is required

kilo

mate.... that is VST...... sometimes I think we should hire a lawyer to force this issue with s/w companies... think of the publiscity it;'d get?...... after all.... can you imagine 70% of Ford drivers accepting a new car that didnt run ??.... i fucking doubt it..... and that goes for ALL the big s/w companies... it's kak really huh.....

but... i'd re-install windows yes.... and if you run web stuff games and other apps... i'd invest in a removable tray system & a spare h/d for the programmes......

thennnn set up the new drive... Ie:.... put the normal drive in the removeable tray... that is your main apps games and internet etc drive.... now... remove it..... addd the new one.... set up windows...... normal set up....no IE......

next..... add your active x drivers.... latest versions..... add the soundcard drivers.... add vst.... then use that drive for your music work... it's the only way you can be sure to boot up a clean system.....

generally, i'd recommend that accross the board now.... and when dancetech starts to retail systems.(soon)... that will be the standard system I'm gonna sell.... it's the only way you can guaranetee it'll keep working after it's sold..... however..... after investigation, if i cant get a reliable timing vst on a pc...(AND I AM FUSSY !!!!)... then i'm gonna go mac..... Apple have offered me dealer status already..... anyone want a G3 ??....... heh heh....

however having said that....SYCO systems who retail Mac systems, pro-tools etc said..... Logic is far more reliable timing wise than VST on a mac.....yes... even a fully blown G3...

sad really huh... after all this technology... still NOTHING can beat an old Atari 1040 or 520... no matter how much you spend.... well sad.....

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)