aaa Supernova 2 or Virus -C - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 19-Jan-04  @  06:15 PM   -   Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Meldon Farsko

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I was wondering which keyboard you like better and why. Before I spend the money I want to make sure its what I want.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/20             20-Jan-04  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

AudioAlchemist

I would say 1500-1600 for a keyboard in great shape.
Maybe Influx would know better than me, he deals more in gear and retail.

Message 12/20             20-Jan-04  @  05:18 AM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Mel

anyone?

Message 13/20             20-Jan-04  @  05:55 AM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

mcc>

i think silence hit it when he mentioned ease of use as a major factor. i only have a virus a and i've been sad at how hard it is to just randomly sweep through and get good useable sounds. at some point...it's over the edge tweakabilly in my opinion.

i used a bass-station ten years ago and all i remember was how impossible it was to get it to sound bad.
i still have samples from that which i just love.

as for new virus os-es and stuff....the last flurry of access-mails report many dead c-series due to the new os.
i have no clue what this is about.....and i'm fairly sure i never will.

as for prices for supernovas......e-bay seems to have em for between 450 and 700 when they show up. and they do but not regularly. but when they do they seem to show up in groups of 2 and 3...which is good for you the buyer as it means there's less competition for them.

Message 14/20             20-Jan-04  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

craig

Link?: Link

I have to disagree with both Clay and BS... To be fair, I do not own a Novation synth. I have played with Novas, K-Stations, and A-Stations enough to feel like I know the sound and operation of each.. For me, the Novations sound too round and mushy, with a "plasticky" character to the sound. Granted, I make harder music than most here.

The Virus' filter is unique sounding... It's a very sharp sounding filter, as opposed to the Novation or even Nord, which is a lot breathier sounding. I also find it extremely easy to fire up the Virus and quickly get what I want. A lot of people complain that some stuff is in menus.. Bah... Use the synth for a week and you'll know exactly where everything is. Yeah, there's menus but they're extremely well organized and easily memorized.

I would not say that either make has an advantage or disadvantage in usability. I'd say the Virus has a slight edge in versatility in that it has better FM and those 64 digital waveforms. I also don't think either sounds more or less "analog" than the others, although I don't put much stock in that kind of thing anyways. If it sounds good, iut sounds good, and they both sound good.

In the end, your decision is a matter of taste in how the thing sounds. If you're looking for something big, round, and cushy, you probably want a Novation. If you're looking for edgy and nasty, you probably want a Virus. Keep in mind that the Virus can do round and cushy to a degree, and the Nova can do edgy and nasty to a degree, so it all depends on what you're going for.

About 4 and a half years ago, I bought a Virus A over a Nova. I've never once regretted the decision. That Virus is the centerpiece of my synth rig.

-Craig

Message 15/20             20-Jan-04  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

L$

there's also the k-station and a-station which I believe are basically cutdown monotimbral versions of the nova-supernova...

novation has also made a software version called the v-station, which is probably all you need if you already have a virus. there's a demo at novationmusic.com.

Message 16/20             20-Jan-04  @  06:12 PM     Edit: 20-Jan-04  |  06:14 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

BluStudio

I got a second hand supernova for 250 uk squids- theres defo some proper bargains out there, just keep looking- you have the controller keyboard (?) so ya just need a module to hook up- s/h nova would be a grweat cheap addition- youll notice i said 'need' a module  

blu

Message 17/20             20-Jan-04  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

mcc>

you got a point craig...absolutely...i love the sound of the virus. it's just that
i've yet to come anywhere near mastering it's architecture to the point of creating any good sounds myself.
i've certainly tweaked some sounds though and saved those as patches.

i have no intention of losing mine or would ever tell someone NOT to get one.
these things got bite.
i just fine them a maze to figure out. i can be slow that way.

Message 18/20             20-Jan-04  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Influx

Hey...about prices:

http://www.prepal.com/welcome.htm

its a tracking site...what people have listed used gear for. tends to run on the high side since people usually ask too much for their stuff (since they usually spend too much)

personally...Id get a Nova IIx if a keyboard is necessary. You probably dont need the extra features of the supernova, do you?

Message 19/20             20-Jan-04  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

mcc>

a bit off-the-topic but how do you guys compare the nord lead here?
somewhere in between the two?

Message 20/20             20-Jan-04  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

craig

I love my Nord Lead. It's less versatile than the others, but I think it has the best pure sound than any VA. It is one of those synths where it's limitations turn into advantages, if you know what I mean. It's very simple, and for a menu-hater it's the ultimate synth (only a 2-character LCD). Good FM, excellent sounding oscillators and filters. It does have very limited modulation, but it's awesome for simpleish analog sounds. It's fat, big, and ballsy. It cuts through anything. And secondhand, it's dirt cheap.

I would recommend getting a lead II over an original just because you get a dedicated out to each part, and filter distortion. If you do get an original (I have one, it's not the end of the world), just make sure it's expanded to 12 voices. You'll need the expansion and a PC-Card to use the multis. Also, if you get a rack, make sure the rack ears come with it because you can't get 'em any more.

Highly underrated synth I think.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)