aaa Jungle Help - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Jungle Help

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 06-Jul-98  @  09:12 AM   -   Jungle Help

CandyMan

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Can someone help me with a bit of advice. I want to create original jungle or prodigyish beats but I have no idea where to start. I know how to create standard house type beats etc. I would like to use samnples for the drum instruments as a dont want to fork out for a new drum machine.

ps HammerHead is cool but I need something more original

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/21             13-Jul-98  @  04:46 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

mm... Hilevelt, I'm afraid to run a search for "amen". Any more info? Was ordering info included in the package, or in the help file? By the way, I'm an amateur, but I have created some acceptable d'n'b loops using WaveSurgeon & Fruity Loops.

Message 12/21             13-Jul-98  @  05:39 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

hmm, I really can't remember where I got it, but his e-mail is:

amenbeta@hotmail.com

why don't you post a thread asking? I'm pretty sure Holger's the one who originally found it (boy's found some genius s/w)

Message 13/21             13-Jul-98  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: Jungle Help

Islandman

You can find Amen here:

http://harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/audio_processing.html

It starts with a Z (Z-S 1 or something...)

Peace

Message 14/21             14-Jul-98  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

buggo

learn to program breaks? what's so different than programming any other kind of beat? and what exactly separates "breaks" from other kinds of beats?? well actually i'm just wondering classifications here; i program my own breaks for all of my songs so i guess if you're comparing it to a four on the floor house beat (damn that shit!! DAMN THOSE BEATS!!) then i guess making a break would be difficult...anyway...as kilo says, learn to play drums!! i'm 16 (today, yippee!) and i've been playing drums in some capacity or other all my life (mostly with my hands on newspapers/cans etc...until i got a free shit set from some guy who couldn't get any $$$ for it; damn i need a new one...anyway FUCK) and i'm convinced this drum-playing has made a huge difference in my mixes. I still like to record myself playing a 2 or 4 bar loop on my set (cheap drums, cheap mixer, cheap mics, cheap computer = super lo-fi = pretty cool dirt nasty breaks) and layering some mechanical HH thumpin' on top of it; playing stuff live gives it that funky "slightly off-beat" flavor that makes it truly groove...if i'm making any sense here at all...

Message 15/21             18-Jul-98  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: Jungle Help

DJ Phallus

Right... You need a fast tempo - 160 will do...
I always start placing the hihats on every eighth beat (I
think - if it's too slow/fast, just change it...)
Next I place a bassdrum on the first beat, and a snare on
the second and fourth. Then I just fill the gaps,
experiment with different rhytms... untill it sounds right
If you're wondering where I get the sounds, I just cut up
other loops and recycle the shit...
Hope this helps...

Message 16/21             19-Jul-98  @  06:07 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

Hilevelt

Ah, the anal one speaks. GAWD, I WISH YOU'D CHANGE YOUR HANDLE ;-).

BTW, placing the second snare on the 'and' of 3 is more common in jump up and dance hall styles.

Message 17/21             19-Jul-98  @  06:56 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

buggo

well as long as we're discussing tequnique, what i usually do is start with the obligatory bass drum on beat 1. usually i use a different, heavier, more "thumpy" kind of bass drum on beat 1 than i do elsewhere in the measure; sort of gives the downbeat that emphasis; or you can do the chemical brothers stylee and have a deep dropping sine wave hit on beat 1...that sounds cool sometimes too. Then like above, i put a snare on beat 2, and generally, for truly funky breaks, try to avoid a snare on beat 4 also; you sort of expect it there and it sounds cool when it's somewhere else. And with hihats, etc i just place them on 8th notes and sort of randomly add and delete them till it sounds good...and ALWAYS avoid the open hats on every -"and" note; that's definitely more standard (read:boring) house type stuff...

anyway as far as samples are concerned, for dnb most of the samples that i use, anyway, are pretty short and punchy, with nice attack...with a longer, harder bass on beat 1...

well these are just my suggestions; it's DEFINITELY not the definitive guide to dnb production, nor should anybody else's technique be...experiment around till you find your style, your shite that works.

Message 18/21             19-Jul-98  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

Actually Phalus, just about any tempo will do as long as you keep the quantization high enough. For example, one could take 160 bpms and cut that in half to get 80. I personally like lower bpms simply because they sound a lot more fucked up (I'm not quite sure that I can explain it just yet). . . . . I think this has something to do with the feel of a song. Ambient is low bpm (if any beat), house is 120, etc. So, my hypothesis is that if you have a low bpm with a mellow synth line but crazy fucking beats the song will still have a very chill feel to it. However, low bpms can also be tricky to work with (especially if you don't have a lot of experience programming in realtime). If you have a low bpm with everything fucking crazy, then the song will have a very rushed feel to it. Probably hard to put to use for a newbie, but definately something to keep in mind for later.
---
Brad

Message 19/21             19-Jul-98  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

buggo

Oh and another thing; one way to get beats that are just a little off from the standard 16th notes, which gives them a funky sort of groove, is to take a proggie like cool edit, and do the "change pitch w/0 changing tempo" thingy to make it really high-pitched but at the same speed. (do it on the lowest quality setting; you get some interesting lo-fi effects.) then stretch it back out, again without changing the tempo, and your beats should be just a little off...some of the signal is lost or something in the stretch...anyway there is a shitload of things you can do with timestretch and the like; just play with it and be ready for some fucked-up sounding loops...

Message 20/21             20-Jul-98  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: Jungle Help

Hilevelt

That's an interesting time-stretchy idea; wouldn't have thought of it. Don't worry so much about the deep boom on 1, though, that's actually supposed to be the bass note. i.e. use one kick, then find a bass sound such as an 808 kick to emphasize it. That way, you can actually have a kick going that won't interfere with the bass-line.

It depends on the style, I guess.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)