aaa Sluggish windows 95 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sluggish windows 95

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 06-Sep-98  @  06:28 AM   -   Sluggish windows 95

john

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

My computer is sluggish now. It takes windows longer to
load. It takes soundforge longer to load, the same with cakewalk 7 and
other programs. In cakewalk when playing a song it sometimes stops.
There is a lot of harddrive activity going on. It takes longer to load the bmp images
of wav files in cakewalk. It takes longer to run java in netscape.
The only tsr programs loaded in the little box in the taskbar are Sndvol32.exe thats the
windows 95 mixer, My Gina mixer, and my Diamond Stealth display settings diamond.
Every thing like this worked great for a long time. Now its slowed down....
What the is going on here???
Any ideas of why.. any solutions??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             07-Sep-98  @  06:59 PM   -   RAM

rouge

I'm considering upgrading on my RAM - while its cheap - (its going back up in price now I think) but I already have 64 mb SD DIMM RAM so whats the benefit of going up to 96 or 128 megs?
Anyone?

I'm also running a P2 233MMX but no SCSI.

Message 12/23             08-Sep-98  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

99devils

If anyone has questions as to how much their 95/nt box is going to benefit from more memory, open up Control Panel->System and check out the size of your virtual memory space... Chances are it's about 80 MB or so, plus about 4-8 MB for storing the registry... Subtract the amount of RAM you have from the 88 MB (or whatever your machine is using), and you have an idea ohow much the OS is going to disk for caching... that's not including temp files and such from your applications.

Also a good idea for cleaning up your hard disk - do a find on *.tmp, and delete all of them.

-C

Message 13/23             08-Sep-98  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

Urro Burro

My previous computer (Compaq P75, 24 MB RAM, 2 HD:s totalling 2 gigs, 4x CD-ROM, ESS soundcard, S3 video card w/1 meg memory) had a hard drive crash, maybe due to too much stuff on it. Couldn't access CD-ROM, soundcard and mouse only worked in DOS mode. Hard drive was formatted, everything reinstalled, and suddenly everything went reeeeeal slooooooow...... like over a minute to open up Internet Explorer + it always hanged for half a minute every time i opened a new page... same shit with all other programs. There seemed to be no hardware errors, no viruses, since only the basic Microsoft stuff was installed to begin with. I never figured it out, neither did the tech guys from the company that sold the computer...
Even if Windows IS a PITA a lot of times, it couldn't have caused this, right?

Message 14/23             24-Sep-98  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

jdavis01

I just upgraded the ram from 32 to 160 and had to disable the virtual memory settings in win95 because the system would take FOREVER (at least 30 to 45 sec.) to begin audio playing in cakewalk Pro7. I am working with large audio files (50 - 100mg) on a pentium233mmx. With virtual memory disabled, audio playback starts right when I hit play, but now I run out of memory if I try to edit more than one project file.

Message 15/23             24-Sep-98  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

too chicken

(snicker) get a mac.

Message 16/23             25-Sep-98  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

melon

I read somewhere (in a different thread??) that if you want to make full use of any ram you have over 64MB you have to get win98. Comments ???

Message 17/23             25-Sep-98  @  08:41 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

buggo

where can i get cheap ram? i've got a cyrix pr200 (fucking TERRIBLE chip) and 32 megs witha 1.7g drive. (yeh, it's cheap but it was only $800 this time last year!) also what are some basic things i can do to speed stuff up and clear out all the useless shit on my HD? (my D partition is 1 gig and it's down to like 300MB free...and i KNOW i'm not using all that room especially since i store all my songs as MP3s and delete the WAVs...tips for the damned??)

Message 18/23             25-Sep-98  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

Richie

Does that take EDO ram? If it does then EDO's dirt cheap at the moment.. I bought 32Meg 2'nd hand from a reputable dealer for 20ukp.. Have a look around for a shop in your area that deals 2nd hand stuff.. You need to be able to take it back just in case but most shops won't have a problem if something fucks up.

That problem Urro Burro had sounds like the same sort of thing that happens when you overclock a processor but it does'nt work.. Something to do with the speed the chips can communicate with each other.. If one chip is going to quick or slow then you get bottlenecks in the data which has a knock on effect to the rest of the system..

I think.... (I'm talking shit now :-) )

Message 19/23             27-Sep-98  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

My god, Buggo!!! Ditch the Cyrix!!! Anyway..... 'S funny.. Reinstall Win95 and you'll find that a lot of problems get cleared up.. it seems like the more problems you encounter, the more they leave behind.... See, this computer I'm on is the "Bitch" computer.. It takes it all ways that I deem necessary (And to all future Acid Bitches out there, Bitch can mean either a female who is really annoying or a man who takes it in the ass, either definition applies here) , and filters out all buggy progs before they reach my other computer, the sequencing and digital audio king, the 300mhz 128mb DIMM SDRAM 100mhz buss , not SUPER fast but fast enuff to run SAW+32 and ask for more, which is all I ask) computer... Anyways, as you've probably all noticed, I go off on random tangents, but to stick to the subject in hand, this computer takes a lot of shit.. And shit slows down every time there isa a problem... After 20 crashes or so, the system is downright sluggish.. I reinstall Win95b, and I don't lose any progs, and it'll work fine after that... try it out.... If it'll cure this whore, it might cure yours. (Oh yeah, everyone knows to keep a copy of the WIN95 directory offa tha Win95b disk on their computer, don't they, don't they? poor savages....

Message 20/23             27-Sep-98  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

kilo

sedusa mate.... does your gina run ok then, cos apparently event declared there was a problem running the gina on anything but a 66mhz bus speed...??

yes it's true about more than 64mb... but i cant remeber too well, it was a certain chipset that couldnt use it... sorry can't remember which...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)