aaa MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 26-Sep-98  @  01:48 PM   -   MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

DJ Phallus

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi.
I'm still wondering what to buy next... (I've got an MPC2000)
There's a guy in my class who sais he can get me an mc 505 groovebox for 18 000
Belgian francs (I think that's about 300 pounds...) - as opposed to about 55 000
normal price... Think that's a good deal.
BUT I don't know if it's the synth for me - it's got a seq and I already have that... And I
have played around with one and I think it's better for techno, not d'n'b and big beat
and hip hop...
So I'd rather get the DR Groove from Boss and a Waldorf Pulse - that guy will see
what price he can give me... If it's just as cheap, I think I'll buy that instead...
Anybody got experience with the DR. Groove (DR202)??? Is it any good?
TNX...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/25             29-Sep-98  @  08:59 AM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

you're all full of shit.

the 505 has shit patterns and pre-set sounds... but the sequencer is the best hardware box you're
going to find. 909 style step programming, seperate mutes for each of the 8 tracks and each of the 8 drum sections. up to 400 user patterns in memory at once.

the synth engine is the jv1080 and is capable of great sounds(though, like i said, the presets suck for the most part imho).

great effects, nice automated track mixer.

3 set of stereo outs.

plus tons of real time control. add a yammi a3k sampler to the 505 and you're ready to go.

Message 12/25             30-Sep-98  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Fuck that Roland preset piece of shit. "Here! Buy the same sonds and patterns everybody else does in one handy dandy flashy package!" Fuck that. Get a box you can make your own sounds with. For the price of an mc505, you could get a microwave ii. Sick noises in that box! Think about it.
Monkey

Message 13/25             30-Sep-98  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

SiuS

Get the Pulse (s/h) and a sherman filterbank (very common tool in Dn'B)...then you got on hell of a bassline + sampled sounds from it) & great squealing brakes .., after all you don't relay on syth's in sample-based music, MCx0x line just don't cut it, product based on marketing/selling strategy.., ...buy quality and reputation always if u'r serious. know stat making desissions on your own jr!!

Message 14/25             30-Sep-98  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

Purple Haze

Well, maybe the sequencer is the best hardware one you can find... also pretty fucking expensive if you buy it only for the sequencing. And I can't see myself using the sequencer for something more than loop-based stuff. And only 8 tracks (I think, not sure about this). By the time I've 'finished' a piece of music (but then, who am I) I've usually got around 30 tracks (but then, that's because of the way I'm working).
The jv1080 synth engine is good, no arguing about that, but for the same money you can buy a jv1080 with the possibility to expand with extra cards (which are dirt-cheap when you order them from sound on sound Japan), and for a bit more money you've got the jv2080 which really is a little workhorse (and not to forget with a huge display, mucho easier to edit patches than with that little screen on the mc).

As I said, it's good for a dj to spice up his set a bit, and for a dj it might be worth it's money.

Shit, and I haven't even been drinking yet.

Message 15/25             02-Oct-98  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

DJ Phallus

SEDUSA: I've already got a sampler, I've got the MPC2000 (sequencer is much better than MC505)
but I need a synth, esp. for the big beat music - just listen to chemical brothers and prodigy, synths
all over the place ...

SiuS: I read the Pulse doesn't have a sine wave (is this possible?), so is it still good for junglish
basses?????

BUGGO: It's pretty cheap, bout 250 pounds...

I can get it that cheap from a guy in my class who scans the world for good deals... He knows
people EVERYWERE...

Thanks everybody, I think I'll go for the pulse...

Message 16/25             02-Oct-98  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

Pongoid

A wise move. You might also thing about the Microwave II. Not analog, but still very fucking thick, and capable of sounds beyond description, analog digital, or otherwise.
Ape

Message 17/25             04-Oct-98  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

DJ Phallus

I just found out about Waldorf's new "Q" synth - is this a poly version of the Pulse? Anybody got
an idea of how much it might cost?

I checked the Sharman filterbank - seems a bit expensive... Wouldn't the Waldorf 4 pole or
whatever it's called do the same trick?

Message 18/25             04-Oct-98  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

Pongoid

If you're looking for filters, check out my friend Obis. He build smoking analog filter boxes custom to your specs for a very reasonable price. I've got one, and it's definately a secret weapon. He can be reached at : obiscygma@hotmail.com. DOn't know about the "Q" yet. Has it been released?
Ape

Message 19/25             04-Oct-98  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

vuduimp

No... the Waldorf Q is waldorf's first Analog Modeling synth.

Message 20/25             05-Oct-98  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: MC 505, DR 202 Dr. Groove, Waldorf Pulse...

Richie

I aint heard this working myself but I've been told it's pretty good.. MAM RS3 Filter Bank Resonator... Think it costs around 160ukp

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)