aaa The Making of a Track - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The Making of a Track

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 13-Aug-98  @  05:17 AM   -   The Making of a Track

Houseman

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So how you go about creating your tracks?

Do you have a set routine? If so, what is it? Or, do you do it differently each time?

What usually inspires you?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/26             13-Aug-98  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

Jock

Doh ! I aint knocked anything up in years ! Ever since I started commuting to London in fact. Time is the most important factor to me. Gaining inspiration is easy, but when you sit down on the gear to develop idea's you find that you have to stop just as things are getting going, because you need to be up early to get a train into London ! I cant afford to be distracted by the girlfriend shouting upstairs to me "fancy a cup of tea ?", my reply is usually "no fuck off I'm trying to work on something here, leave me alone !".

Before I worked in London I had adequate time, my life was less stressfull and the creativity flowed like lager.
I knocked up a total of just over 3 hours of music in 1 year.

Now after being a suit for 5 years I've knocked out about 30 minutes worth !!!!!!!!

I need some serious disapline. and some more time.

Message 12/26             13-Aug-98  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

bill

Link?:  Link

i know exactly what you mean - work 9-5 for 5 days and by the time you get home you're knackered from the london rush-hour - 6.30 by the time you settle down and by 10 you're starting to think about food and having to get home to get to bed for the next day etc - and also, most evenings you're doing something anyway.....

i just took three days off work and did the most exciting stuff musically i've even got close to all summer.

looking forward to getting back to manchester for a while...

Message 13/26             13-Aug-98  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

99devils

My routine differs significantly from everyone else's, but I'm doind industrial, not dance. My tracks start with a guitar riff. Sometimes all I have is a 1 bar rhythm, sometimes it's a lead, sometimes it's a mostly completed song, but at some point it's inputted into the PC. From there I usually do the bass (synth) parts, then a scratch drum track, then a basic arrangement. The I either write vocals, or match the music up with existing vocals. Of course some rearranging occurs when the vocals get integrated with the music, but at that point I'm mostly done.

I almost never work off of music, and rarely do I start a song with a synth line or a drum beat.

Message 14/26             13-Aug-98  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

skul

you guys have summed me up, pretty much. when i'm not burned out from me day job...

i might have this weird rhythm going on in my head, which makes me fire up the gear and start banging it out. from there i start layering stuff, a bassline, or a melody. for each part i usually start by searching presets for something that sounds almost right - don't give a fuck about notes at this point, just texture or color. then i start editing the preset to make it sound more right, or maybe i'll take what i like from it and create something new. then i just start playing until something cool (musically) pops up. start looping, adding, etc. everything basic at first, details later.

or, i might have a guitar or bass riff that i want to work into a song. so i'll prog a rhythm for it, drop in a bassline. start processing stuff to make it sound weird, which hopefully will give me ideas for the next part.

or i'll dredge up a really cool sample and just start playing with it. i think that's an industrial thing... i've based a number of songs around one really neat sample - in the end, maybe noone even notices it, but it defines the song.

Message 15/26             13-Aug-98  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

99devils

Definately an industrial thing... I've always dreamed about creating a track where the base samples for every sound but the vocals was derived from samples of various vacuum cleaners!

-Craig

Message 16/26             14-Aug-98  @  08:08 AM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

I use Sonic Foundry's ACID and dance loops from audio cds and I just let my music creativity run wild. Sounds easy but it takes a while to create a wicked song.

Message 17/26             14-Aug-98  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

well, I come from an Industrial background.. I still have all my ways of doing things.. They haven't changed... I just found at one point that my inner funk overpowered my angst.. Hehe...

Message 18/26             14-Aug-98  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

Dan S

I always start with a loop in LDB. Then I export it to Cakewalk and start building a bassline to go with the drums. Then I start adding things to go on top, using a four-bar loop and just stacking pads and loops melodies and so on... Then I start cutting and pasting to get some structure.

Message 19/26             14-Aug-98  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

JAWA

I tidy my stuff up and while i'm doing that i always come up with ideas for tunes......

Errrr.... it just comes from inspriation i suppose, when i heard that album by the Crystal Method i was blown away the tunes you hear makes you think of your own ideas, no idea how, and i didn't emerge from my room for weeks on end..... another was seeing Fatboy Slim at "The End", i just got so inspired by that it kept me making tunes night after night...... it just happens like that i suppose....

Message 20/26             17-Aug-98  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: The Making of a Track

99devils

Right, I just saw Dream Theater the other night, and they've got me writing the coolest guit riffs in months! They also got me saving for a seven-string...

-C

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)