aaa Sample CD's - are they too expensive. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Jul-98  @  04:49 PM   -   Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

£60 for the decent sample CD's, and £20 for the
short sharp mixed mode ones.

It this too much - I say yes - considering if you
have the time and inclination (and ISDN link) you
can download millions of sounds for (nearly)
free on the web !!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/26             01-Aug-98  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

Ha ha ha - music industry generates more income in the UK
than any other industry - read the financial times matey -
you are wrong,wrong,wrong.

Message 12/26             01-Aug-98  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

JAWA

I dunnu mate, if you look at al lot of these multinational companies you see in the FT closely you notice where the money they generate is going. Not to the UK thats for fucking certain. I'm not sure if we have any industries left actually..... cheers Maggie.

The music industry in the UK is MASSIVE. The amount of people it employs directly, indirectly etc. it all adds up you know.

Anyway re. Sample CD's, you are paying for the copyright, the time put in by the artist and the overheads i.e studio costs the artist paid to make it. I'm sure that paying 50 quid for a sample disc is much less traumatic than a court case involving the artist you nicked the loop from wanting all your money generated from your hit single.

Message 13/26             01-Aug-98  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

JAWA

On the subject of court cases one that made me laugh recently was the one involving Liam Holwett and the Jedi Knights. The sample in question was the high filtered bongo loop on Climbatize...... the brrrrrddddpp brrrrddpp bah bit?...... anyway, Jedi Knights claimed he stole it off one of thier records and should pay them lots of money. Liam refused saying that even though he used it, the Jedi Knights stole it themselves and shouldn't he therefore shouldn't have to pay anything to them....... The Prodigy's manager went off to america to track down where the sample came from..... a record by the ultimate bongo band to which amazingly, nobody owned the rights to...... the manager bought the rights to it immediatly and now the Jedi Knight owe royalties to the Prodigy...... I think that's how the story went anyway......

Its a funny old game.

Message 14/26             01-Aug-98  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

KILO

OH GOD....here he goes again.... what you have to understand young man, is that the industry supports a huge variety of jobs, & revenue all of which returns to the UK such as:

Music publishing royalties for world-wide airplay... and this remember covers not only contemporary channels, but ALL channels.... including easy listening, Jazz etc who daily play millions of versions of classic songs owned by UK publishers....WW mechanicals royalties, WW product licencing deals revenue and all relevent staff & support companies, collection agencies, independant TV & Video companies , On & offline editing facilities, recording and rehearsal studios, graphics & repro houses, CD manufacturing plants, record pressing plants, tape plants, Plastics companies, chemical & inks manufacturers, all the magazines, and the rest of the music press, independent journalists, Agents & management companies, clubs & discotech's, venues, flyer companies, record shops & stores !!! , (alone a HUGE employer), national distributors, fleet delivery companies, designers, artists, stage personel, engineers & technicians, music publishing houses, solicitors and barristers , large entire legal departments dedicated such as Virgin EMI etc or companies such as Davenport Lyons who deal mostly in copyright & contracts, Uk Channel television personel & entire departments in uk licenced channels, WW TV syndication & licencing agreements, Video sales & rentals, Video manufacturing plants, music equipment shops, Electronic games music Royalties, (games now incidently outstrip CD music sales worldwide apparently).... electronics & equiptment manufacturing companies, electronics design companies, electronics servicing companies, electricians, pa companies, stage erectors, set designers and builders, The UK Film & Film production industry, the UK theatre industry, Concert & opera houses and classical orchestra tours such as the LPO or the lighting companies & crews, road & transport crews, scaffolders, security companies, revenues paid to local police dept's for venue support, council revenue for venues, advertising companies, insurance, promotional companies & management , toy & novelty manufacturers such as for Spice Girls paraphanalia etc, badge manufacturers, printers & lithography, clothing manufacturers, Book companies, etc etc

on top of that, you have the revenue generated by the actual labels themselves for record sales, which is simply staggering for the size of the country, with British music consistantly occupying the charts in all territories worldwide, challenged only by the Americans in terms of volume and sales... and lets face it... there is a slight difference in the sizes of the countries, yet we occupy a massively disproportionate slice of the market worldwide for the size of the uk, just as japan takes a massive slice of the world music sales market disproportionate to it's size, being ALONE the worlds 3rd largest market after USA & Europe....

Now... outside of the actual revenue generated by these 100's of thousands of labels, from huge corporates down to small independents, there is the tax and VAT generated, and on top of that, just the personal income tax alone of the major uk artists outstrips most large industries' profits annually.

Furthermore, the property occupied by these companies generates more income, and i dunno if you ever worked in a record company, or spent time there, but the telephone bills spent alone provides a huge chunk for BT & the cellullars, of which BT owns a share in most such as Vodaphone & Cellnet, and again outside of corporation tax, & VAT, the UK government owns about 50% of BT still....

further to that, each of those industries who rely on the UK music biz for contracts that would otherwise relate to closure or at the least heavy lay off's, employs all the support & secretarial staff etc..... add it all up, and I think you'll see that consistantly year in year out the UK music biz, is our most consistant profitable industry, and certainly the only one we have left that is consistantly world leading & world beating, and NOT relying on crafty overseas trade agreements of aid with arms contracts stipulations, or subsidies from the EEC or ANY government investment, even in setting up the companies with taxpayers money ... such as for our recently privatised national utilities......

remember that even annual sales of Beatles albums generally still outsells most major artists world wide.... dont assume that cos Led Zeppelin, Bowie & Sabbath etc etc are not in the charts, that they dont still sell.... these artsists still shift huge amounts of product annually, as well as offshoots such as Tee-shirts, caps, badges, posters etc all liceneced to uk companies.....

we have no auto industry any more, and no electronics manufacturing to speak of, no shipbuilding, mining, or other traditional heavey industry, large companies such as British airways, or BT do make huge amounts of revenue, but you have to remember, that a huge chunk of their interests lies outside the UK, in sattelite systems etc... so whilst they may make alot of money, they dont employ as many people...... just a check thru the local WH Smiths at all the music & music reletaed mags from NME to Smash hits, The Face, Wax, SOS etc etc etc, shows a huge amount of titles only challenged by computor & womens magazines....

when you add up the tax & revenue of this entire industry, it works out as enormous...and the numbers it employs, the companies that would suffer or fold if it didnt exist are simply staggering..... I personally can't think of any other industry so dominant in the world owned by British business..... and as far as I am aware, it is a fact that the music biz is our most successful private industry... BT & BA etc dont count, cos they are still state owned to a degree.....

everyone makes a big song and dance when a Nippon company starts a factory creating 3000 jobs in Wales.... but just a tiny slice of the insurance sector of the music business alone employs way more than that every year... year in year out , year after year... no lay off's... no voluntary redundancies, no 4 day weeks, no wage cuts or productivity linked pay deals...... look at the revenue a single Stones tour generates !!.... that is one band for fucks sake......

why not go out and spend 40 quid on The White Book..... it is a book published annualy, about 4 times the size of the Bible that contains listings of music related companies alone !!.....

actually yes, I do read the FT & the Times Business section regularly as it happens..... and recently managed and administered a freinds company for the startup period until investment that is now worth a couple of million, starting with a £15,000 investment

y'know... you're really starting to get on my nerves with all your persistant name calling, sarcasm, & personal insults, ..... would you like to meet up in central London soon to discuss things in person ??...

Message 15/26             01-Aug-98  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

The Pimp

How can you put a price on intelectual property. If the record companies want to charge 15 pounds then pay it if you like it and don't if you don't. Simple. Baring the ridicualous if I love a CD I'll buy it, practically for anything not to pricey for me. I must admit that it makes me wonder why I can get a CD imported here from the UK, pay the shipping, and it still comes out cheaper then what you guys paid. On the other hand, it's a different economy, so I guess there are other factors to consider. And read you're music press replica@globalnet.co.uk cuz if I'm not mistaken last year the music industry was the largest net grossing business sector in the UK.

Message 16/26             01-Aug-98  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

Kilo - is that a personal threat ?, if it is I'm your
man. You pay my train fare to London, I'll be there.

Message 17/26             01-Aug-98  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

JAWA

Easy dude..... kilos has a point though, think about how many HMVs, Andy's Records, Our Price and shops like that there are in the UK...... loadsandloadsandloads..... i think.

Message 18/26             01-Aug-98  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

kilo

what i meant was... in person people have manners....so if we met, you'd be normal, and stop being rude, and then we could get on with providing information for newbies.... but, ... if you take it that way ... i'm free, in fact, we could hire a ring, and sell tickets... the dancetech evening of 12 rounds middleweight.... with a few sound systems afterwards..... I like it !!!..... heh heh.....:-).... and Acid Cat as the second attraction Versus Jock :-)

Message 19/26             02-Aug-98  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

Sounds good - just as well get paid for a punch up eh !!

Message 20/26             02-Aug-98  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

Oh and the middleweight bit is no good - I'm a superheavy
fat bastard weight !!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)