aaa FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 24-Jul-98  @  06:48 AM   -   FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

KILO

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

WELL WELL WELL..... i cant belive it !!.... i have tried and tried to make this thing fall over... and even tho I'm running it on a p200 with a poxy 64mb and no scsi with the h/d light CONTINUALLY flickering...... even tho, every time i open the 4th or 5th realtime fx, flanger, compressor etc... (that is with the Timeworks Reverb delay running as the master Aux post fx)..... and the dispaly counter & cursor is flickering and hopping around cos it's a crappy old 64 s3 graphics card at 65,000 colours.... even tho there is a pause and the audio stops when i open an effect... even tho, i'm pushing it to buggery... and the screen draws are visible..... IT WILL NOT CRASH... IT WILL NOT... AND IT IS IN TIME...... LOOPING OVER 8 BARS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.... JESUS !!!....

I'm in tears almost, cos VST cant do this.......heh hheh

God only knows what it'd be like on a P2 333 with 128 mb or higher with a scsi audio drive !!..... lemme tell you......

drop down position marker list... select... there you are at the position....

audio &b midi mixer ...(Console)...... a long mixer.... I was scrolling across it.... now... there are NO led ladders with each audio track... only the masters... and I thought... Shit !!... it's real hard to tell quickly which is the audio tracks... UNTIL... I saw this button... aha !!..... click... and only the audio tracks are there... click again... only the midi tracks... better still...... click the button on a midi channel ... and a whole page appears of ALL the presets for the db50.. no sub menus and then the actual sets... wicked !!.....
i assume that can be patches for any synth once installed....

ok.... so.... the mixer channels......

... at the top, is a scroll-able list.... add in an INSERT fx at the channel head...... you can load up several... and just scroll thru em... highlite one... double click it.. hey presto... the fx edit window appears... and i tell you... ALL the active FX were there...... the Timeworks delay & reverbs Hyperprism Dx stuff..... wavetracks compressor... which was excellent on the drums etc......... plus the compliment of Cakewalk FX... including REALTIME - TIME/PITCH-STRETCH !!.........er... what a flanger.... total trance-tool with the delay as well....... and the eq is VERY comprehensive with so many filter types... there is even an AC hum canceller preset...... phew !!!.....

Also... the Waves Audio Track compressor Eq s/w was there... Brilliant plug-in that.... what i mean is..... all the fx on the pc were found by cakewalk... NO glitches...... and i couldnt get it to crash..... ......

what else......oh yes...wicked... the 2 channel aux sends go to the master Aux section.... you can then set them as Pre or Post... set the send & return... er... AND route them to different audio out & In

You can gang/group the faders at random....with up to 12 group gangs !!!...... including fx returns and masters......the master fader can have preset fades programmed.... and there is a dedicated fader console automation edit window...with each track selectable... channel assignable... and controller assignable... as well as drawing the curves on grid !!!

AND... YES... YOU CAN ASSIGN THEM TO MIDI EXTERNAL CONTROLLERS..... ER.......

each channel has solo.... mute... and arm for record.....and of course pan... as does the aux returns !!...... that is ...2 stereo aux returns... and check it... master fx too.... again you can compile a scrollable list......preset audio set's for audiomedia-3, soundscape and session 8....as well as windows active-5 and non active cards..... also Dig Aud Labs V8 rack.... and.... more... theres a dedicated soundfonts section with editable library data for your soundfonts....

oh shit... ok... i aint got a multi-out card in this pc... or more than one card... so as an experiment.. i added the modem audio driver and games compatible device drivers as extra sources in the master audio section.... heh heh... and fuck me..... 4 stereo subgoups appeared on re-opening the mixer...... and yes..... it's laid out like a frigging mixer..... with master section next to the aux masters... and the subs outside of the masters.... and yes... you can route ANY channel to groups.... and any groups to master out... or seperate outs.... same for fx sends masters.... and...

when you group faders,,, a coloured LED appears on them to designate group visually.... excellent idea...

christ... now i've discovered that although it only boots up with 2 aux busses..... you can add more........i added 12 aux sends !!!! !!!!

nice drop down project list appears when you boot up the proggie... and it auto sends ALL the sysex prior to start if you ask it to as per usual cakewalk... loverly.....

ok... re-boot it... now there are 4 aux sends and returns... routable to any audio outs....

On the main track area now.....the loop select is great... 2 buttons either side of the left & right marker position windows.... just move the cursor to a track position....click Set-Left.... move it again... click Set-Right... heh heh....... excellent... that was a tad tedious in older cakewalk versions..... and there are loverly markers... just move the curor.... add marker... and it is added to the central drop-down marker list.....

I tell you what...... this is fucking AMAZING !!..... oh... er... sorry... it doesnt LOOK as pretty as VST.... but it is laid out VERY logically...... the routing is WAY more logical than the VST mixer.....

next...on the music parts (clips in cakewalk) area..... right click on an audio part...... edit window appears... and now thank GOD... as it scrolls whilst playing.... it DOES redraw the audio waves in the window... excellent.. it used to go blank on older versions once the initial window was redrawn...... and you can use the line tool as before to draw volume fades in sections... and when you cut as before a little volume knob apperas to adjust that tiny edit/cut section if desired....

ok....next.....a ten band graphic eq.... but now with drop down preset list... editable and saveable.... and parametric eq..... to bloody complexed to describe here...alll processing auditionable PRIOR to comitting... but hey... YOU DO ALREADY KNOW THAT CAKEWALK HAS INFINATE UNDO RIGHT ??.....

4 parametric FILTER TYPES... hIGH PASS... LO-PASS...... BAND PASS... AND NOTCH... AGAIN DROP DOWN LIST OF HANDY PRESETS... AUDITIONABLE PRIOR TO PROCESS.....

AND WHEN IN BASIC AUDIO EDIT... TOP OF THE LIST, IS YOUR PLUG-IN S/W LIST... HEH HEH....WANT MORE ??.... ok.... with the choosen audio segment in the edit window,...... (colour editable).... just go to TOOLS... and open your external editor.. it opens the part... excellent.....all as normal there.....

in the audio edit window...the draw-line tool is as usual excellent... you can select a start point... just lay the pencil tip on the audio part wave at the desired start point..... then drag across... and it draws 2 lines.... equally above and below the 0 db center line... hey... you draw across wider.. ... it makes like a funnel... INSTANT fade up... or narrower...instant fade down..... or level line draw... instant quieter across the drawn section of the wave....ok... so you can zoom in and draw up or down even little spikes.... and say you draw 10 edits that process.... heh heh....as i said..... INFINATE UNDO.... IT WILL KEEP ON UNDOING YOUR EDITS.... or... how about edit HISTORY.... a list appears for the edits..... select the 35th edit back... cancel it... HA !!!.... none of the others before or after that edit are effected !!!

next.....oh yes... there is an audio scrub tool to.... and there is a detect PITCH function..... by the way... ALL these audio tools etc are accessible by right mouse click on the wave... no fucking menues to search thru up above.....

yeah... you can zoom into an audio wave,,... and it'll tell you the pitch......you can get a drum part audio wave,,,, and do extract timing... and it'll let you assign the pulse to a midi note number.....with a trigger level in DB... and time in MS of trigger to cause the actual trigger..... you can tell it to search for a steady rhythm... or expect triplets, or whatever....... fuck me.. you can even ask it to vary the midi notes generated velocity according to the audio velocity... or set a fixed note volume....and it's auditionable before doing it.....audio waves are zoomable down to single samples........ there's a fade envelope function..... with handy presets....and cross-fade.....

what else......well... there is a quick drop down marker box..... where you can add markers manually naming each place for reference

AND THANK GOD... there is a general panic button for when those midi loops hit you like the plague......that has always been a nice cakewalk feature

mixdown audio ... with option to create mixed audio track with fx etc for either a total stereo mix.. or just mix all the tracks switched on to be mixed to their own new track to preserve seperation......yet with realtime stuff like fx fades etc mixed in to a new wave

oh yes... it'll export your audio as wav or real audio handy for the web.....

well... that is what i found in the last 2 hours or so... it DOES need a powerful machine... the mmx 200 aint enuff... but.... no crashes... and the timing is as stable as..... something stable.... best for me is the ease of the mixer.... SO easy..... not as realistic looking and arty as vst..... more solid and basic shapes without fake metal etc... but it works like a dream..... so intuitive once you spend 5 minutes with it... BY THE WAY... I DIDNT LOOK AT THE MANUAL OR HELP ONCE...... that is intuitive.....

also.... the hyperprism plugin stuff that never would work in VST does here.... the fx provided are easily as good a vst..... excellent in fact for freebies.....the reverb has lots of parameters..... all in all there are plent of things to add.... you wann hear this rebirth audio part going thru the delay and flanger..... trance city people.... very nice indeed....

well.... all in all... i can live withiout a drum map i guess.....Cakewalk has one thing missing from the drum grid... that is the ability to draw a long line f notes to a set quantise with a brush type tool... unless i missed it somewhere..... BUT... what is better than VST cubse, is that you can run the mouse up and down the drum names real fast... and they play as the mouse glides over them...as if you were sweeping piano keys.... REAL easy to find a sound in a list of 150 drum sounds.... y'know with Cubase how you have to switch on the ear or speaker icon... then SLOWLY double click on each sound... to hear it.. cos if you do it too fast... it tries to rename the sound... that was always a bummer with cubase....

. i think this is excellent... and no matter how much the programme struggled to keep up..... it never fucked up and died... never lost the soundcard.. it never crashed oncce... and i swear... i was really caning it to the limits of video glitch !!!....sure it stuttered... sure... it ran out of steam... but never lost the crd or died......... the main problem was the video refresh... but maybe that is cause i had navigator open all the time as i write this post over an hour or 2.... it definately got worse the more I wrote......... with a big power pc.... this is a winner.... and STABLE midi timing even with this situation of overkill trying to kill it off on purpose.... Kinda like SAW-Plus.... it'll run out of steam... but not punish you for it by dieing and loosing your work..........

best for me is again.....the mixer...when i first saw it i thought,,,,,, hmmmm...... but after 20 minutes I think it's far more logical, if less pretty than vst mixer.... certainly the routing is glaringly obvious..... i havent even touched on the Studio-ware side... that is Cakewalks version of the mixermap

A VERY BIG PROGRAMME..... NEEDS A BIG MACHINE..... BUT WHAT A KILLER...

CAKEWALK HAS COME OF AGE I RECKON...... I URGE YOU TO CHECK IT OUT....REALLY... I'M GOING WITH IT FOR SURE... I WANN A GET SOME FUCKING WORK DONE..... NOT PISS ABOUT TRYING TO GET IT WORKING.... IT INSTALLED LIKE A DREAM... FOUND ALL THE OLD STUFF... FOUND THE CARD.. (AN OLD CARD AT THAT)...... AND.....well........ SERIOUSLY !!!..... THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.... !!!...... add to that Cakewalks excellent HD management auto style utility....... very easy.... no pratting about........ just work.....

adios.... time for bed.....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/26             24-Jul-98  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

Astro

I was just reading the cw FAQ at the cakewalk site.... and one of the questions was about adjusting volumes for individual drum parts.... exactly what you all are wondering about.... and they said the only way to do that is to put different drum parts in different tracks... just like our man Kilo recomended. Check out their reply here So yeah... I hafta agree this is the one and only weakness of Cakewalk vs VST.... and like Kilo said Im sure it has to do with the fact dance music (which is of course drum oriented) is less popular here in the states. If you wanna see all your drum parts at once just open a couple piano roll views and stack em up on top of eachother. This FAQ is pretty good reading... i suggest you all check it out if your interested in cakewalk.

Message 12/26             25-Jul-98  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

Browngirl

How much UK RRP ???

What the fuck is O.S. ???

Message 13/26             25-Jul-98  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

daniel

no problems running cake7 on a p166 with 48mb and no SCSI.

There is an upgrade to version 7.01 on the cakewalk website (www.cakewalk.com).

Does anyone has some kind of studioware for the peavey SP+?

Message 14/26             26-Jul-98  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

Browngirl

Am i invisible?

Message 15/26             26-Jul-98  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

kilo

os is operating system... in the uk it's about 399 i think....rrp that is.... well, it's stange, cos i cannot get anything like the amount of tracks on cake 7 i can on vst... albeit , with correct midi timing, but cake seems way more memory intensive.....

Message 16/26             27-Jul-98  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

sometimes i get problems when scrolling in the clip view. it jumps really fast, and sometimes it scrolls the opposite direction from what you are doing.

ugh.

other than that, rock solid. and they final fixed the audio-mixing shit (from 5.) ...maybe it's a directsound thing, i dunno

whatever, it's the best!

Message 17/26             27-Jul-98  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

kilo

well i hate to say it... but it's died on me now... dead as a fucking do-do..... no audio at all.... even tho the clips are there

Message 18/26             27-Jul-98  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

Astroman

Yup... the one major flaw Ive found with CW... sometimes the audio just dies.... for no apparent reason. SOmetimes one soundcard will stop working... sometimes both. This happened more in version 6.... but recently happened to me in 7 too. Sometimes just reprofiling your soundcards brings em back... sometimes you gotta reinstall... I dunno...

Message 19/26             27-Jul-98  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

kilo

well.... i reckon it's simply that all these s/w houses are backing a lame horse with active Msoft technology then...... like i said in the other thread... sawplus addresses up to 4 cards... always has for the last years... never dies... never fucks up.... why cant we just get a version of standard Cubase or Cakewalk, like they used to be,,,,,, that is... stable..... and reliable and crash proof...... that'd set up on most any system & work.... BUT.... add-on what sawplus does..... addressing 4 cards max... no realtime fx... no realtime eq... just that..... and dont tell me to get an old cubase audio and a session 8... my mate spent over a year with that & still didnt get a days work done....

Message 20/26             27-Jul-98  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: FUCK ME !!! - CAKEWALK 7 !!!!!!!

bill

Link?:  Link

back to the drum-map thing....

i had the beginnings of an idea to get around this - does the cubase drum-map go all the way back with the old versions of cubase? what's the oldest version of cubase that still has the drum-map in all its functionality?

because (and you can shoot me down here) i'd guess that older versions of cubase (especially non-audio ones) would a) be more solid/reliable in timing than new vst-ones and b) take up less system resources (no audio, no fx, no eq, built for lesser-specced machine etc.).

therefore....could you use cake for everything apart from the drum grid - and do that in a little "old" copy of cubase sync-ed up alongside cake? you could even use cake to draw controllers in a drum track, because both apps would be exporting the midi data to the same machine

i expect it won't work - either because a) sync-ing two pc sequencers to each other via a loop-back port is unsteady or b) you can't stream data from two midi pc-sequencers to the same midi port or c) something that i haven't even thought about....

and kilo, if this is what you meant by "what I used to do, was do all my drums in an old 2.8 version cubase... then port it over to cake5 for the rest of the controller work ..... ", then i'm sorry......had to check.

will

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)