aaa Building a new music PC. Comments a - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Building a new music PC. Comments a

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 01-Jan-04  @  07:09 PM   -   Building a new music PC. Comments a

jj

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hey!

My friend is building a new music PC. I need comments and suggestions on this setup he have choosen:

Soundcard: M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 400 MHz fsb
Motherboard: Asus A7V600
Memory: 2*512 MB DDR PC3200
Harddrives: 2* Maxtor 120GB Plus9, 8MB cache
Graphic card: HIS ATi Radeon 9600
CPU Cooler: Slim Silent Pro
Chassi: Chieftec BX-02B-B-B
Chassi fan: 2* Papst 80mm (80x80x25x)
DVD burner: NEC DVD brännare multiDVD

What do you think of this setup? Please come with tips and suggestions.

//jj

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/27             05-Jan-04  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

pc, really?

People are still using Windows based computers to produce music? Inform your friend that can avoid all the heart ache, stress, and anger now and just buy a mac g5.

pc, really?

Message 12/27             05-Jan-04  @  04:23 PM     Edit: 05-Jan-04  |  04:23 PM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

And here's me thinking just the other day that we haven't had a "My Computer is Better than Your Computer" ruckus for some time...

Shouldn't this be in the lounge though?

Message 13/27             05-Jan-04  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

Yonce N Mild

Be sure to inform him that he will also be dropping an extra 1500 bucks so he better be sure to pick a few extra leaves off the money tree if he wants to go that route. I'm not sure thats the solution though because spending lots of unecessary cash has been known to cause "heart ache, stress, and anger"

Message 14/27             05-Jan-04  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

craig

Ha!!

-Craig

Message 15/27             06-Jan-04  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

pc, really?

I guess if spending a little extra money will get a better sound, more features, and a pro set up-- then yes, tell your friend to go and pick a few more leaves off of the money tree. Why spend any money on a toy that is half assed.

pc, really?

Message 16/27             06-Jan-04  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

Influx

yawn

Message 17/27             06-Jan-04  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

dfect

i recently built an athlon 2600+ with an Abit KD7A and have ongoing problems with my audio playback and recording (using an Aardvark LX6). I'm 99.99% sure its the VIA chipset causing the problems, therefore I suggest doing extensive checking to make sure your chipset isn't going to cause conflicts.

There has been known issues with VIA chipsets causing audio problems, and while VIA hasn't offered any real fixes, an independent programmer has released a patch that may fix problems that arise: www.georgebreese.com.

but then again, k built that front page system with a VIA and hasn't had any problems, so....

have fun.

Message 18/27             06-Jan-04  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

Influx

mines a VIA system too, and no problems (well, except for some stupid bad RAM chips...but thats a manufacturing defect)

Message 19/27             06-Jan-04  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

k

Link?:  Link

i've built tons of VIA systems with no problems with kt133, 266 & 333 & 400 boards... Georges patch was ages ago, the hyperion driver set has had the fix in it for ages now... that was back in the old KT133 days.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 20/27             06-Jan-04  @  11:51 AM     Edit: 06-Jan-04  |  12:02 PM   -   RE: Building a new music PC. Comments a

dARKSTATe

This whole VIA thing has passed into urban legend now I reckon... its like the FIRST thing that goes wrong with anyone's PC? Blame the via chipset...

Its true, they fucked up ages ago.. I guess they're paying the price now as consumer confidence is still low - well, judging by these scattershot ("I've got via and I've got audio problems") posts that always surface anyway...

I'm not saying, dfect, that you're not having problems but have you exhausted all of the known avenues of investigation? Hell, some cards dish out problems just by being in the wrong PCI slot.. and you'd be surprised the number of people who DON'T know that... mebbe its Abit who've built a shonky VIA based mobo... there's just too many variables to blanket blame one thing...

And no, I don't work for VIA or any affiliates, I don't even know anyone from Taiwan.. I'm just not big on scaremongering or misinformation which this "VIA is bad for audio" thing is.. the fecker refuses to lie down, despite the fact I've built shitloads of via based PCs and only with the advent of DECENT nForce based boards would I consider using anything else for budget conscious high-performance PC audio workstations...

And as for the mac thing... "..Sounds Better.." ??? PLEASE tell me how that is supposed to happen? Do Macs have better soundcards? Erm.. no, the soundcards are generally platform independant so I doubt that's a factor... let's ask our panel of independant adjudicators...

[Family Fortunes Fart Noise "UN UN!"]..

Mebbe its the audio rendering algorithms in programs like Cubase, Logic, Reason, Protools etc...? Erm... no.. don't think so either...

[Family Fortunes Fart Noise "UN UN!"]..

Ah, it must be the O/S and the fact its an APPLE computer that makes the physical audio coming from your speakers sound better... chortle..!! More features...?? ho ho ho... [slump!]

Still, if Mac's work for you mate.. fair play.. they're nice machines..

But as influx said.... yawn...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)