aaa Another "how do they do that" question. :) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Another "how do they do that" question. :)

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 15-Sep-98  @  03:39 AM   -   Another

Thayl

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

How do I do drill sounds? You know the ones, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Autechre
style speed-breaks. I've tried cutting and pasting a really small snare over and over again but it doesn't sound right.

How the hell can they get the damn drills to speed up, slow down, go all over the place?
(I know I'll probably get flamed for posting this beginners shite)

-Thayl

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/28             16-Sep-98  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: Another

ratfink

i heard this one (prob'ly very commercial) hip-hop track where the dj(?) was playing around with the sequence; making the vocal do triplet things, eights, 32nds etc. etc. anyways it was all very spontaneous and spur-of the moment, i thought: do those hardware sequencers have a function like a pitch wheel/joystick where you can change the trigger times in real time? like trigger every 64th note, then every 128th, etc? i'm sure it's prob'ly old hat cheese to you guys, but the folks on the bus where i heard it were freaking going: "oh the cd's fucked, hey driver! DRIVER!!"

Message 12/28             16-Sep-98  @  09:04 AM   -   RE: Another

Richie

I played an old tape of mine last night and the first track started with this snare roll thats mental,, I think what I did was using the sample offset trigger (I was using a S2000). There were two snares panned hard left and right with the velocity setting the snare offset (at 128 it played from the middle of the sample) and the stereo position of each sample. As the velocity increased the stereo image moved into the middle and the snare got harder and harder. Because of the sample offset position the sound also went from a full on phase to none at all by the time the peak was reached. Also the snare was playing at 1/32 and was not cutting of the last sample.. Sounded fucking ace!

Message 13/28             16-Sep-98  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: Another

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

The reason to use an lfo is for real-time speeding up or slowing down.

Richie, that's an interesting idea. My partner always likes to program things in like that, but I'm always left wondering why not just do it by hand w/ your mixer instead of all the hassles of programming?

Message 14/28             16-Sep-98  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: Another

Richie

Because the main effect was the sample offset play... At velocity 0 the sample played back from half way through, by the time the velocity had reached 127 ALL of the sample was being played. One of the samples (left or right) had the offset slightly higher than the other which created the morphing phasing effect... Could'nt do that with a mixer live. Thing is you call it a hassle.. but I remember it only took about 5 mins to create that preset on the sampler. Thats what I like about them and why I'm getting another one, you can really mess samples up with a little thought..

Thing is.. A lot of my stuff now is run of the mill with the odd track popping it's head up and going I'm great. When I listened to that old tape I did about 1 month after getting the s2000 I heard loads of ideas and things I was doing at the time to really push the sampler to its limit. In fact when I get home from work, I'm going to go through the whole tape and try to re-create some of the things I was doing better then.

Maybe the geeks among us just can't get away from programming stuff.. I know I can't...

Message 15/28             17-Sep-98  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: Another

xoxos

i'm learning different modules have different facilities. that's totally a cinch on the s2000. just makes you weant everything :-)

xoxos.

Message 16/28             17-Sep-98  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: Another

Thayl

Hmmm, I dunno about that LFO trick, I tried it on the JP-8000 and although I got a cool drill-ish noise, it's not really what I'm looking for.

The closest I got so far was cutting and pasting a load of really small clicks together and then adding a filter over them to give that chip-pan type sound. (You know the one, listen to the start of DMC (Live) by Jega on the Mealtime compilation album)

Another idea of mine was to have one drum beat going through a delay pedal with the feedback set right up, then adjusting it so it slows down and speeds up. All I need now is a good delay pedal.

-Thayl

Message 17/28             18-Sep-98  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: Another

Influx

I was messing with snare rolls on Performer at my school, using an X5...in step record...1/8, 2/16, or whatever...in a series...however many measures long...got some full on rat-a-tat-tat machine gun snares...sounded dope...steady pitch tho, but that could be fixed as well...

Message 18/28             18-Sep-98  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Another

xoxos

hmm. i don't know anything about the on-boards of the jp8000, but if you can't get a decent tight snare roll, there's something seriously wrong. i have an old yamaha hardware sequencer where the most accessable note values only played the note for 80% of the time value, but had the facility of writing notes with the full time value. maybe this is something you want to check; playing with the sustain because things that shouldn't make a difference, ie. 80% note length with sustain vs. 100% w/o sustain, sometimes do. so you're using a jp8k as the module, and just it's on-board sequencer, or what??

xoxos.

Message 19/28             18-Sep-98  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: Another

Richie

xoxos... I could'nt understand one bit of that!

Have you interfaced yourself into your pc or something.. You seem to be talking in a programming language!
:-)

Message 20/28             23-Sep-98  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Another

rouge

Christ! That reminds me.... I was walking down the road one day and I heard this construction site and the drilling going on making a weird but soothing melody and rhythm... I wanted to sample it to remind me but I forgot all about it when I got home and so I'm real pissed off.

Got any suggestions (a mobile sampler or something)???

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)