aaa The mc505, worth buying??? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The mc505, worth buying???

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 12-May-98  @  07:01 PM   -   The mc505, worth buying???

YaX (gi31713

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Well, I was thinking of buying this baby BUT I'm not really sure. For that amounth you can have some other secondhand gear. The MC-505 is maybe to
easy. I mean everything you make will sound almost
the same. Where is the originality man!! On the
other hand you get all the basics you need for making some dance/techno shit.
OK folks what do you think about it, buy or no-buy?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/28             26-May-98  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

pongoid

Link?:  Link

FUCK ROLAND CORP!!!!
Their shit is way overpriced for what it can do. If you want to buy into the propaganda bullshit, do it. See all of those pretty mags, and ads they put out? All of the crazy endorsement ads that they put in every mag? That's money that they are not spending on putting quality into the instruments. Roland could do way better, but instead, years ago, they decided to put out the mini studio component classics that you all know and love: sh 101, mc 202, tb 303, tr 505, tr 606, tr 707, tr 808, and of course the tr 909. These were meant to be items for people that couldn't really play all that well, and weren't all that knowledgeable, but could still have fun. Then they did things like the d-50, which was coll, and the jd's 800 & 990. Very cool, but since then, they haven't done much for creating sound creation devices. The jv series sucked ass. Slight manipulation of factory presets. Big fuckin deal.... Nice sounds, but they were somebody elses. And now what? The JP 8000? What a fuckin joke. Eight voice polyphony. Digital soundind mockups of the old pieces, and ONE ,count them: ONE new wave form. For the same price, you can get an original used Microwave, a hand-built gem, and an Access midi-controller for it, which makes it a hundred thousand times the synth that the JP8000 is. Roland is about money, not quality. If you want to have your one stop cheese shop, get the mc505. Or, save your pennies, get a used r8 mkii (a roland piece that actually is good, but they don't advertise...hmm...funny that), a decent sampler like an esi-32, or an asr-10 rack, a 1202, some effects, a controller keyboard, and go from there. That setup will go fro less than $2000US, and will allow you to play a live set for as long as you want. Autechre came to my town a few years ago and did a show with an eps16+ rack, a quadraverb, an r8, a mixer, and a box of disks, that was it, and they took heads. Good luck. More questions? email me. Peace.
Pongoid

Message 12/28             28-May-98  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

box of disks? gee, they really fooled some heads.

Message 13/28             29-May-98  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

pongoid

Dear _,
It doesn't take a wizard to figgure out that Autechre has a studio full of gear now, but when I talked to them, most of the stuff on those disks were sounds that came off of some pretty lame gear. Old casiotones ditorted out to fuck, a dx-100, and a juno-106. All lame stuff. I guess you missed the point, Einstein, that the mc505 is a piece of shit, and you'll get much better results with a modular type of approach using a drum machine, a sampler, a simple sequencer, some effects, and a mixer, rather than this all in one piece of shit approach that Rolandfuckingshithole Corp is trying to sell the masses on. Just to set the record straight, Jonah Sharp (Spacetime Continuum) played the same night as the aforementioned Autechre show, and what did he play with? two sequencers (mmt8'sone for rythms/drum machine and the other for melodies/harmonies/wierd noises), one synth (a Microwave), and a sampler. I don't have to tell you how good Jonah Sharp's live sets are.
The bottom line is: if you want to fuck around with toys, you get your mc505. If you wnat to play like grown-ups do, you get one of the previously recommended setups. Good luck.

Monkey Power!!!

Message 14/28             01-Jun-98  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

amyhill

A bit worried. I'm small scale with a bit of gear (SE-70, mackie mixer), and now a quasimidi 309. I could not decide between that and the MC-505. Played on them both for about 4 hours. THe quasi was pretty fun right away, the 505 took a bit to get what i wanted. Am i going to bottom out the 309?? It may be a bit tight in scope. THe 505 has more goodies, but seems more crunchy to get it all together. Writing stuff on the 309 is easy and quick. I'm not pro, and most of my stuff never leaves home, but i'm still wondering if i did the right thing. I can still take it back to get the 505 (or something else entirely). I just can't spend any more money, its all gone on P.A. gear.

Anyone have a helping word of wisdom for a green guy who wants a solid versitile box that can do a whole bunch?

Thanks

A

Message 15/28             03-Jun-98  @  03:01 AM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

Relax, people, I am no tech wizard, but I was in a retail store the other day (to buy a Yammy A3k) and the sales rep had programmed some stuff into the 505, so I walked over to see what the story was.

I had never paid any mind to the 505 before, but this box was unreal. It has all of the preset 808s, 909s, but it also has acoustic piano, etc., and other sounds as well.

I'll say this, if I knew I would face the aggravation I have had over the last year and a half with Cubase, I would definitely have looked at an all in one set-up like a 505.

No crashes, conflicts; just turn it on and it works. Like alot of other gear out there, who cares whats in it--just what you do with it.

Message 16/28             04-Jun-98  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

pongoid

Dear A,
The 309 is an extremelt cool box. It's one of these things that just makes sense to have if you're on a budget, and need a cool groove machine, as well as being an excellnt midi controller, for when you get loads more kit, and want to do cool things with it. In other chat topics, I've slagged lots of things, but I wouldn't slag the 309. It doesn't have the biggesty balls in the land, but it certainly has character, which is more than can be said for other units of similar function in a similar price range. Amittedly, I'm not a huge fan of wavesample based synthesis, but for a quick fix, the 309 will do the job. For a totally digital groove machine, there are few other boxes I would recommend for the price.

Message 17/28             04-Jun-98  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

MOore

You can use the 309 as a controller? How good of a controller is it?

Message 18/28             16-Jun-98  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

pongoid: pull your head outta your ass ...

to those thinking of buying a 505: check it yourself and ignore pongoids hatred of the thing ... if you check it yourself that's the ONLY way to be sure you want it ...

Message 19/28             15-Jul-98  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

pklingler

pongoid: pull your head outta your ass ...

did you recently get fired from roland or something? this thread is not called "what do you think about roland"

no one cares if you think buying several pieces of gear is the best way to make music. you are talking about music-making TECHNIQUE, not the mc-505.

start another thread if you want to bash roland.

Message 20/28             15-Jul-98  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: The mc505, worth buying???

kilo

well, although i wouldnt express it quite the same way.... Pongoid is actually correct in most of what he says.... (although i dont in any way subscribe to the evil Roland idea).........there's this popular misconception about so called great new synths.... and it is a FACT...that with a little mixer.... a sampler or cheap pc a few pedals and a wanky old nasty casio or other toy synth, you can and will get excellent sounds..... IT seems people loose track of what a sampler is about..... and what the fuck is a Z1 or Trinity got to do with it ?... the keys are so weighted it's bolldy impossible to play dance lines without rupturing your fingers..... ultra lite crappy plastic keys rule... people gawp in amazement over sounds produced by their hero's... and assume it's the latest gear.... but most of the time, it's a sample of them farting into a bucket thru a distortion pedal or something...... i cant think of any current cutting edge dance that utilises latest kit to get the sounds..... the MC505 is a good all in one... but it's actually the sequencer that is the most useful bit, as a live tool for shows... if ONLY someone would bring out a decent stand alone sequencer with built in cv and gate outs for all the ld clock rates.......

i'll say it agin.... a sampler... and one synth is enuff ....FM or analog, or one of each... add some ingenuity, and a sequencer, maybe a drum box as well... something to mix it thru and a cheap fx unit or 2 (even pedals)... and you're there......

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)